Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Charl,
the email said.."I examined them , that's all. :icon_scratch:
"I DON'T THINK" .....these rocks (samples) workout to be meteorites.:icon_scratch:
"THEY LOOK LIKE GABBRO". :icon_scratch:
"THEY DON'T APPEAR"...to be from a metorite. ??? :icon_scratch:
"I don't see any reason to proceed to some further kind of analysis"...
"IT'S EXPENSIVE AND,MOST OF ALL TAKES TIME"....!!??? :icon_scratch:

Here's that link....first paragraph..."expect no metals"! :icon_scratch:
Martian Meteorites

Thanks for the corrected link. If they are a lab that regularly tests samples sent in for meteorite identification, they will be aware that some achondrites, Mars rocks are one type of achondrite, have no metal and then those tests would have been done, if they saw reason to do those tests. Sounds like he suggests you don't spend a lot of money and time on further testing. It's very possible it has other compositional elements not found in Martian meteorites and they made note of that. There are other labs of course and you can try another when you get your rock back.

http://meteorite-identification.com/verification.html

From the above link, you can mail photos to this guy and ask him what he thinks:

Canada - The Prairie Meteorite Search
http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/PMSearch/
Mail photos to Martin Beech

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the corrected link. If they are a lab that regularly tests samples sent in for meteorite identification, they will be aware that some achondrites, Mars rocks are one type of achondrite, have no metal and then those tests would have been done, if they saw reason to do those tests. Sounds like he suggests you don't spend a lot of money and time on further testing. It's very possible it has other compositional elements not found in Martian meteorites and they made note of that. There are other labs of course and you can try another when you get your rock back.

METEORITE TESTING AND CLASSIFYING INSTITUTIONS

From the above link, you can mail photos to this guy and ask him what he thinks:

Canada - The Prairie Meteorite Search
The Prairie Metorite Search, University of Calgary
Mail photos to Martin Beech
Thanks,...Yes, I'll definitely be seeking a place that will do an 'in-depth analysis'......
I know where this came from.....right down to the FRESH impact hole in the sand it was dug out of! ;)
(alot of untold history to this...the stone 'seen and dug out' was actually a little smaller than football size!) ;)
Thanks again.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,...Yes, I'll definitely be seeking a place that will do an 'in-depth analysis'......
I know where this came from.....right down to the FRESH impact hole in the sand it was dug out of! ;)
(alot of untold history to this...the stone 'seen and dug out' was actually a little smaller than football size!) ;)
Thanks again.

Since it is not a confirmed meteorite, you do not need an export permit to mail it to the states. With that being said, I would contact ASU, and send them a sample.

http://meteorites.asu.edu/

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it is not a confirmed meteorite, you do not need an export permit to mail it to the states. With that being said, I would contact ASU, and send them a sample.

http://meteorites.asu.edu/
Hey sf25 :)
We were both thinking the same! ;)
But looked at an ASU site a few days ago....said they can't/won't exccept anymore samples for testing from the public...do you know if this was old news?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might try emailing good photos to Matt Morgan on that list that I left a link for. He is a collector/dealer and might have more interest. Be sure to tell him the initial results and where they were examined. The ASU situation has probably not changed. Since the floodgates burst in Northwest Africa(NWA), with hunters finding thousands of stones, the labs have struggled to keep up with that one geographic area alone, and those are known to be meteorites when they are submitted, the hunters/owners just getting them classified so they are officially recognized. Many dealers sell meteorites from NWA that are unclassified, if it's clear they are just common types. So tough for the general public to get unknown rocks looked at these days. Witnessed falls, like the recent Russian event are exceptions when even the scientists themselves head to the collecting strewn field if they can.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try emailing good photos to Matt Morgan on that list that I left a link for. He is a collector/dealer and might have more interest. Be sure to tell him the initial results and where they were examined. The ASU situation has probably not changed. Since the floodgates burst in Northwest Africa(NWA), with hunters finding thousands of stones, the labs have struggled to keep up with that one geographic area alone, and those are known to be meteorites when they are submitted, the hunters/owners just getting them classified so they are officially recognized. Many dealers sell meteorites from NWA that are unclassified, if it's clear they are just common types. So tough for the general public to get unknown rocks looked at these days. Witnessed falls, like the recent Russian event are exceptions when even the scientists themselves head to the collecting strewn field if they can.
Yes, I agree Charl....thanks for the info!
No postal return as of yet..of material and paperwork....plus, I'm busier than 'heck' in StoneQuarry again...which is a good thing! :)
Thanks again.
TJE

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks...been a while.
Finally received my samples back, along with 'hand written' papers (which looks like..chicken scratch/unreadable ) ..similar to a Dotors note! ...of what it was "thought" to be ;)
Will be seeking elsewhere (when time permits)

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you post a pic of the note? Maybe someone here can decipher it. Also I bet if you post on mindat someone might offer to test it for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread