OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks, guess the 'easter bunny' is hiding more than eggs this year! Heh heh.
Hope for reply sometime soon!

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep checking back to this post from time to time to see how you are making out. Maybe you should have sent them 35 years ago and then you may have heard something by now!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep checking back to this post from time to time to see how you are making out. Maybe you should have sent them 35 years ago and then you may have heard something by now!

Patience is the only philosophy that works here. They will get back with the results of their analysis in due time. They have the specimen, they are not going to forget at all, they will reply in due time. As I mentioned early in this thread, be patient and the finder will hear from them when they have something to tell Him. So just relax, it's far from the first time they have examined specimens from J.Q. Public, they will let TJE now one way or another. If they are not charging you for the tests, don't be bugging them. I'm sure they understand the finders' anxiousness, but their priorities are their priorities.

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as cross-border meteorites goes //// just suppose you threw it across the border, and your wife caught it on the other side. Would she be the latest victim to be hit by a meteorite, also would it be considered a U.S. meteorite then. Just supposing though. HaHa.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, as long as a guy knew where that 'invisible' line supposedly separates North Americans!! Ha!
(Unless, of course the 'powers that be' haven't tried to paint a 3000-+ mile line yet!!) :laughing7:

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience is the only philosophy that works here. They will get back with the results of their analysis in due time. They have the specimen, they are not going to forget at all, they will reply in due time. As I mentioned early in this thread, be patient and the finder will hear from them when they have something to tell Him. So just relax, it's far from the first time they have examined specimens from J.Q. Public, they will let TJE now one way or another. If they are not charging you for the tests, don't be bugging them. I'm sure they understand the finders' anxiousness, but their priorities are their priorities.
I hear ya Charl :)
I got the patience of a circling Turkey Vulture!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing9:
Just hope .....it's not Me 'being circled' by the time we know!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScFi I bet..will have even more...
"New, prime, fresh meteorites" before then!!! Heh heh!!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks, received a (strange) email reply from the University/Institute....but can't/won't state anything till I have received 'all' the information/paperwork to be sent to me in the mail..(I have requested with the existing paperwork being returned.. to add.."data and test types completed").
Back soon. :)

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well folks, received a (strange) email reply from the University/Institute....but can't/won't state anything till I have received 'all' the information/paperwork to be sent to me in the mail..(I have requested with the existing paperwork being returned.. to add.."data and test types completed").
Back soon. :)

OK, sounds like you got yourself a meteorite.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still no return mail yet folks....they must be as busy as I've been! :)

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you have been taken! :BangHead:

There is a long established symbiotic relationship among collectors, hunters, and scientists. Hunters depend on collectors to make a living. Hunters depend on scientists to classify their finds, in order to firmly establish type, rarity, and hence value. Science, apart from the Antartica meteorite collecting expeditions, depends on new finds donated to their labs as part of the requirement for classification. Science obtains new meteorites this way. Collectors buy classified meteorites.
All interconnected and dependent on the other. Without collectors, why hunt for valuable rocks, made valuable by supply and demand in an existing collector market? I'm sure many meteorite scientists would prefer collectors did not exist, but they must admit, we have far more known meteorites because there is a market. So, all my hot air is just to say it would be unusual for a recognized lab to "take" someone. I'm sure it will work the way it usually does, and if not, we have a record right here as well as paper. I do believe the outcome here, regardless if meteorite or meteorwrong, will at least be ethical. BTW, one thing that is different about Canada compared to the US is that it is illegal to export meteorites found in Canada without a government permit.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a long established symbiotic relationship among collectors, hunters, and scientists. Hunters depend on collectors to make a living. Hunters depend on scientists to classify their finds, in order to firmly establish type, rarity, and hence value. Science, apart from the Antartica meteorite collecting expeditions, depends on new finds donated to their labs as part of the requirement for classification. Science obtains new meteorites this way. Collectors buy classified meteorites.
All interconnected and dependent on the other. Without collectors, why hunt for valuable rocks, made valuable by supply and demand in an existing collector market? I'm sure many meteorite scientists would prefer collectors did not exist, but they must admit, we have far more known meteorites because there is a market. So, all my hot air is just to say it would be unusual for a recognized lab to "take" someone. I'm sure it will work the way it usually does, and if not, we have a record right here as well as paper. I do believe the outcome here, regardless if meteorite or meteorwrong, will at least be ethical. BTW, one thing that is different about Canada compared to the US is that it is illegal to export meteorites found in Canada without a government permit.

Well said, spot on. And you are correct - for Canada, you have to get an export permit to send a meteoprite specimen international.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks, nothing at the P.O. box,....but I did get a reply in email from the institute!
No evidence of FeNi. Fragments (samples) consist of coarse grained (mm sized crystals of)..Olivine, Pyroxene, and possibly some Acicular Plagioclase Feldspar. Mineral assemblage one would would expect in Gabbro rocktype. [Unquote].

I've did some research on all 'stated info'...
If one reads these attached links/sites 'thoroughly'...'all and every' description...is decribed in these links.
Like to know what people with more expertise than myself think!...Thanks ;)

"No FeNi"...and "Minerals expected"......Fisrt paragraph of this link!
www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/projects/martians-met/meteorites.html

"Grabbro rocktype"....link!
Martian Meteorites

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well folks, nothing at the P.O. box,....but I did get a reply in email from the institute!
No evidence of FeNi. Fragments (samples) consist of coarse grained (mm sized crystals of)..Olivine, Pyroxene, and possibly some Acicular Plagioclase Feldspar. Mineral assemblage one would would expect in Gabbro rocktype. [Unquote].

I've did some research on all 'stated info'...
If one reads these attached links/sites 'thoroughly'...'all and every' description...is decribed in these links.
Like to know what people with more expertise than myself think!...Thanks ;)

"No FeNi"...and "Minerals expected"......Fisrt paragraph of this link!
www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/projects/martians-met/meteorites.html

"Grabbro rocktype"....link!
Martian Meteorites

Did they not tell you yea or nay on whether it was a meteorite? It sounds like it was not a meteorite, unfortunately.
i hope I'm wrong. Did they lead you to believe it was Martian meteorite? First link was broke when I tried it, TJE.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Charl,
the email said.."I examined them , that's all. :icon_scratch:
"I DON'T THINK" .....these rocks (samples) workout to be meteorites.:icon_scratch:
"THEY LOOK LIKE GABBRO". :icon_scratch:
"THEY DON'T APPEAR"...to be from a metorite. ??? :icon_scratch:
"I don't see any reason to proceed to some further kind of analysis"...
"IT'S EXPENSIVE AND,MOST OF ALL TAKES TIME"....!!??? :icon_scratch:

Here's that link....first paragraph..."expect no metals"! :icon_scratch:
Martian Meteorites

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread