A meteorite ???

okie222

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all !
I’m new member, I found a rock but don’t know if it was the meteorite and I want to see everyone's opinion to be true?
The stone has 4 triangular face, height 23.5cm, weight 4.1kg, it is non-magnetic

The front:
1-Front.jpg

The back:
2-Back.jpg

The side:
3-Side.jpg

The bottom:
4-Bottom.jpg

other angles:
IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

The stone's full size image, mediafire download:
The stone.rar

Thanks everyone !

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, it sure has some of the attributes of a meteorite. That looks more like a meteorite than many that have been posted. Is it magnetic? If you grind a small "window" in it, are there rocks embedded in the material?
Jim

OP
OP
O

okie222

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim !
It is non-magnetic, I do not know how to test a meteorite, I'll try to find out.
I see it looks like this item at the website: meteorite.com
Canyon-Diablo.jpg

Meteorite Identification - Meteorites - Meteorwrongs

Yup...it does for a fact. You need to grind a flat spot on it, and see what the inside material looks like. Post a pic of your result, if you would. Also keep us posted if an expert looks at it. Very interesting find, in any case. I'd get a small neodymium magnet, hang it from a string, and see if it is attracted to the specimen, also. That, and the window grinding should tell you something.
Jim

W.T.F

Greenie
Mar 22, 2013
Quebec
Detector(s) used
Never
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello , nice images. Seen the specimen with the pointed side on the top, it looks like it been multible shocked . The horizon lines(2vertical) from top to bottom, i would say a iron meteorite is not showing this kind of fracture lines.(density to high) Then the top showes damage and a little flat side on the point.
I have in collection app. same shaped meteorites, they contest that the point, is the oriented front. (not always)
A window would help, regards. W.T.F

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all meteorites are metal only a professional opinion should be able to tell if it a non metallic meteorite

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are achondrites meteorites which are non magnetic. However, that does not really bear any resemblance to any type of meteorite that I am aware of, and I've collected them for 30 years. Not that I'm an expert or the last word, but that just does not look like a meteorite, especially the appearance of laminations in the 2nd photo. Sorry, not a meteorite.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
all those horizontal lines are suspicious....send an image to your local Univ. museum...they all have geol. staff that eat this stuff for breakfast and ask for more.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, that is a "meteorwrong." Looks like river worn shale.

sceptre

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it isn't a meteor it's a neat looking rock.

You could sell it on ebay to some Harry Potter fans. Call it the Sorting Hat rock :icon_thumleft:

tumblr_lqnry5s9cd1qgr60so3_r1_500.gif

Attachments

• 47235_102594946467908_403672_n.jpg
    47235_102594946467908_403672_n.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 777

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lines would indicate a sedimentary rock. Good test would be the nickel test described in O. Richard Norton's Field manual on meteorites ( NOT "Rocks From Space") TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, Welcome to Treasurenet! TTC

Aug 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I just add, that there may be occasions where the basic tests (1) Weight & Density, (2) Visual, (3) Magnetic, (4) Streak & (5) Nickle, might not be sufficient but only in rare circumstances, in this case professional analysis would be the way forward to get a definate answer.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The fact that it shows sedementary layering is the only definitive proof needed to know it cannot be a meteorite.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread