Possible meteorite?

bderousse

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging a hole and I stumbled upon this rock. It caught my eye and the first thing that came to my mind was that it was a meteorite. I don't know anything about them, so I've come here in search of an answer. The rock is extremely light for its size and was found about 6" in the ground in a field. It also doesn't have any magnetic properties which makes me lose a tiny bit of hope.

EDIT: I've done a tiny bit more research and found that everything checks out on the rock except for the bubble holes. I'm doubtful that it's slag since it doesn't have any metal in it (as far as I know) and I don't live near any volcanoes since I live here in Virginia.

2movvo7.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very, very, very doubtful! I say NO!

Sharp points and ridges - Meteorites are very heavy for their size - 98% of meteorites are attracted to magnets!

OP
OP
B

bderousse

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very, very, very doubtful! I say NO!

Sharp points and ridges - Meteorites are very heavy for their size - 98% of meteorites are attracted to magnets!

The non-shiny part is where I had accidentally struck it with a shovel. Have failed to locate the part that broke off.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't have volcanos in VA.... BEEP, wrong answer!

1. [h=3]Volcanoes in Virginia - Virginia Places[/h]www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/volcano.html

Virginia has a long history of eruptions and volcanic activity, particularly the basalt flows in the Triassic basins east of the Blue Ridge and similar-aged dikes in ... TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread