meteorite tip and ?

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
i read this tip on a meteorite site. they said that if you take a piece of bathroom tile and use the dull backside you can identify a meteor if when rubbed across it - it doesnt leave a scratch. anybody ever hear of that ?
also what does your metal detector usually read when you have found a meteor ?
i have the garrett ace 250 which should be great for finding meteors.
i have found all my fragments with a huge stick magnet. just have to identify them before posting.
any help would be most appreciated.

beniy

Greenie
May 13, 2007
some pics would be helpful...Im not an expert but I know a little....a pic would b great I am also planing on buying an ACE 250 for meteorite hunting, but the opinions difer...Ben

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The scratch test is an OK test. Mainly its used to rule out Hematite.

However, put a magnet on a string and bring it close to the rock. Meteorites are ferrous and the magnet will go to it. If non-magnetic, then 95% sure its non-meteoritic.

OP
OP
tommyd

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
well sorry i abandoned after the post.
this trick worked great and i was amazed at how accurate it really was.
after scouring most of the spring i found out i had no meteorites but
tons of magnetic rocks. it really didnt matter though cuz it put me out
into the woods and fresh air with my kid and thats where i belong.
also learned more about meteorites since then.
thanks for the comeback

peace tommyd

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scratching your "meteorite" on a tile just esablishes it's hardness. Do an internet search and you can probably find how to identify a meteorite. I saw a post somewhere in this forum that had links to meteorite identification.

I hate to tell you guys this but a Garrett Ace 250 probably isn't a good meteorite hunting machine. If you try to turn that machine on out in the fields it probably won't handle the mineralized ground very good. A little while back I found a 70 gram chondrite that a coin machine couldn't pick up, it's like the meteorite wasn't there at all. I believe it's because coin machines have a lower frequency than gold hunting machines.

The best machines for hunting meteorites are a Fisher Gold bug II, White's GMT, or any of the Minelab PI's.

OP
OP
tommyd

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
um no i scratched my supposed "meteorites" on the porcelain idols backside to rule them out as such.
before i went and told people that i did in fact have a pocket full of meteorites.
thanks for the tip ~ i dont plan on going hunting for meteorites exclusively with my ace 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread