Hi please help me identify my rock... Is it a meteorite ???

sickadnb

May 30, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hoping someone could help.. It has passed all the tests magnet, scratch and weight ... THanks so much

KIMG0636 (1).jpg KIMG0637.jpg KIMG0638.jpg KIMG0642.jpg KIMG0644.jpg KIMG0646.jpg KIMG0648.jpg KIMG0649.jpg KIMG0651.jpg
KIMG0398.jpg KIMG0411.jpg KIMG0420.jpg KIMG0421.jpg KIMG0439.jpg

Last edited:

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible. But the tests performed are not conclusive. Need to cut or grind a window to see the interior matrix.

OP
OP
S

sickadnb

May 30, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible. But the tests performed are not conclusive. Need to cut or grind a window to see the interior matrix.

Ok.. Thank you so much I will look up the best way to do that I'm so scared of damage I might cause but I'm sure there gotta be a safe way to do that

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cutting with a diamond blade is the way to go to minimize loss. If you ever expect to have this certified authentic then you are going to have to cut off a 20 gram sample and send off for analysis. So if that is the plan, be sure to cut off a large enough section. If it has potential, you can send in the sample. If not, then it's just another rock.

As for a window approach, that will not be viewed as damage on a single stone like this. It's a normal field procedure hunters use to do a preliminary analysis. A diamond file or power sander on a small section should be sufficient to get through the crust and show the interior.

If this was a complete stone with great features like an oriented individual, then I'd pass on the window process. But if this is genuine, then it is a fragment off of a larger stone.

OP
OP
S

sickadnb

May 30, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exciting I have been trying to figure out where would be the spot to cut If you dont mind giving me some more advice id like to take some more photos of the spot im thinking to cut . It has a few hairline cracks that kinda look like they dont want to be awoken lol .. It is for sure not a complete stone You cans see where the fault line runs and then its like a clean break where you can see the seperation .. im gonna get a good photo of that cause im thinking i should break it from that area every part of it is so rare in a completely different way from another part, and the way it fits into your hand ahhhhhh i will love it no matter what it is :)

S

stefen

Fault lines says it's a JUSTA...just-another-rock...

If you slab it for testing, might use a ceramic tile saw...

OP
OP
S

sickadnb

May 30, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its wild how the colors show up so different than what my eyes can see its he is always ready for tha camera !! lol

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks awfully angular (sharp edges) to be a meteority but a good flat grind and acid etch will help with further analysis.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty sharp angles for a meteorite

kezhk

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a lump of magnetite-rich rock.
But as other say, if its a stoney meteorite it would tend to be glassy on the surface where the outside has melted during entry. This looks too angular. If I would hazard a guess I would say it is not a meteorite and probably an iron-rich sedimentary rock, a shale to be more specific.
Ps
I studied and worked as a geologist in the past, but my knowledge on iron rich rocks may be a little 'oxidised'

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sickadnb

May 30, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you so much for your response i appreciate the feedback i still have not found where i should take it here in Georgia goal for the week for sure :)

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd determine the best perspective and then cut on the other side of the rock. Easy to take a corner off rather than a whole face. As for the angular features and fault lines, what that means is it has angular features and fault lines. When weathering occurs, fractures occur over many years due to freeze / thaw cycles. And then the original rock can fracture. I've attached some pictures of angular meteorites with numerous fault lines from Northwest Africa.

NWA1.jpg NWA2.jpg

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one thing that can be meteorite like, sometimes called a slag meteorite. I have 2 of them and the 3rd sent for assay, but it was never returned. Yes, people find slag rocks, try to sell them as meteorites. Mine assayed as greater than 5% metallic iron, 1% titanium, I think also copper and manganese. Try google for slag meteorite. Or try this link.

slag 1

Last edited:

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite sure but meteorites (typically) cant form flat sided in space. Not sure though

-SC

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There is one thing that can be meteorite like, sometimes called a slag meteorite. I have 2 of them and the 3rd sent for assay, but it was never returned. Yes, people find slag rocks, try to sell them as meteorites. Mine assayed as greater than 5% metallic iron, 1% titanium, I think also copper and manganese. Try google for slag meteorite. Or try this link.

slag 1

Looks like bubblie basalt. Slag is usually found near industries.
Most meteorites iron content will be in the 90% range with the rest being nickel and other stuff.
Slag meteorite sounds like an oxymoron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread