CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice looking jewelry there :occasion14: Do you do something to stop rust or is that a problem even?

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like these designs, very nice work.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites MXT,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, rust is a concern. With gibeon meteorite it is the most rust resistant. These pieces are made with Muonionalusta meteorite, same type IVA fine octahedrite like Gibeon, just not quite as stable. After I do my etching to bring out to bring the widmanstatten patern I soak the meteorite in denatured alcohol for a while to displace any moisture. Methanol is best, just can't get it. After I let the alcohol evaporate off I coat it with a layer of ATM fluid or 3 in 1 oil. I let it sit for 24 hours. then wipe it off with a soft rag. I am very careful to keep my jewelry out of the rain or not wash my hands with it on or just keep it as dry as possible. It can be cleaned with CLR at the onset of any beginning signs of rusting then retreated. I do market my pieces and do my best to educate on wear and care. It definitely needs some extra TLC. I have had no rusting issues with any of the pieces I've done to this point.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank you for the compliments, I do enjoy working with the meteorite. Looking forward to many new designs in the future.

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work. I've followed a similar process to stop the rust with alcohol. But then heat pieces and apply a heavy coat of Renaissance brand microcrystalline wax while the piece is still hot. Never had a problem and keep some display pieces in normal room conditions for over 7 years now. Other dealers soak the pieces in the melted wax and then just allow the excess to drain off. then polish with a soft rag. Wax dries hard and does not appear to easily wear off as pieces are handled on a regular basis.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Methanol can be bought from any auto parts store under the name Heat or a store brand. It's used to neutralize water in gasoline.
I got to wondering if the resin used to stabilize stones would work to prevent rust. They are very clear and hard. Opticon 244.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi HV, I have some opticon, havent used it yet. I plan to try to work with some Admire pallasite in jewelry inlay. The Admire has. a horrible rusting problem. I am working with Steve Arnold a little to get some of this going. For now just working with Gibeon And Muonionalusta Iron.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also, Thanks for the tip on the methanol.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bay Rock, I have heard about waxing meteorite, I never really looked into it. Thanks alot for sharing the idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread