Meteorites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found both of these specimens out fishing and collecting coral fossils in Illinois. They're from two different streams not far apart. I have contacted several places for identification but get rejected. They're extremely dense and barely magnetic. My eyes was drawn to them cause they looked polished and dirt didn't stick to them. I will note that the red one with aerodynamic shape wrecked my diamond lap, completely just destroyed it. I destroyed 4 diamond wheels just getting a polish on it. Any help in getting them identified and certified would be great, though I wish to retain partial rights to data extraction, especially if I'm paying for the process. Thank you for your time and heres some pictures! Sorry if microscope shots are horrible, I took pictures with phone down lens and only x30 magnification.

IMG_20180904_035057312_LL.jpg

IMG_20180902_154829768.jpg

IMG_20180904_034900333.jpg

IMG_20180904_050519312_LL.jpg

IMG_20180811_195132854.jpg

IMG_20180811_195219430.jpg

IMG_20180904_034800850.jpg

IMG_20180904_051107908_LL.jpg

IMG_20180904_034727144.jpg

IMG_20180904_034816213.jpg

OP
OP
Rocks A Lot

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well hopefully someone enjoyed the pictures of a true orientated meteorite......... I still wish to get help about the process in getting them certified and retaining data rights. It clearly holds value in aerodynamics. I like it's duck tail the most. I still have to find a facility willing to take payment to certify the finds. They all just asked to donate them and relinquish them and my rights. I'm so fed up with the "system" in the USA.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not meteorites. Sorry.:skullflag:

OP
OP
Rocks A Lot

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not meteorites. Sorry.:skullflag:

What leads you to believe so? I've been collecting extremely rare rocks for over twenty years and have an extremely extensive collection. It takes 4 semi's to haul my collection around. So I'd like a professional reason, not just a typical nope from a coin and gold Hunter.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Many terrestrial rocks, metals, and metal alloys are attracted to magnets, to some degree. I discount that characteristic completely unless there is at least a few visual indicators of meteoritic origin, which none of your images show.

Regarding having qualified professionals evaluate these two items, of course they want payment for their time and expertise. That payment, depending on the organization, is 10% or more of the individual items being evaluated, a monetary payment, or both. Your narrative of the organization wanting the items donated is not at all unusual.

I have cut and polished meteorites for others (always for a fee), and have never had an issue with damage to any of my equipment.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
Rocks A Lot

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many terrestrial rocks, metals, and metal alloys are attracted to magnets, to some degree. I discount that characteristic completely unless there is at least a few visual indicators of meteoritic origin, which none of your images show.

Regarding having qualified professionals evaluate these two items, of course they want payment for their time and expertise. That payment, depending on the organization, is 10% or more of the individual items being evaluated, a monetary payment, or both. Your narrative of the organization wanting the items donated is not at all unusual.

I have cut and polished meteorites for others (always for a fee), and have never had an issue with damage to any of my equipment.

Time for more coffee.

Silicon carbide can ruin a wheel without care, but that thing just trashed it. If I had time I'd drive over and watch you ruin your lap wheel in under 3 minutes. Thing is just stupid difficult. Doesn't matter how gentle you are or changing direction of stone, the stone just eats wheels like toys. Two rough grit wheels and 2 prepolish wheels. Like butter!

As for evidence, red one is orientated with regmaglypts. It's very prominent on it. The brown specimen contains oligioclase inside of pyroxene, rimming so to speak. It's extremely unusual. Considering I grabbed them out of tributaries, it's no surprise they don't look like a Stony iron from the desert. If it matters with these two rocks, but in the general area is a old deep impact into dolomite 1000 feet down. The remaining cavity is used by a natural gas company cause it's sealed entirely by glass. Triple cone cavity recorded by the isgs. Granted this area is chock full of glacial material but nothing resembling these rocks. I would know as I've extensively collected rocks all over the state as a timber jack for over a decade. I've collected opalescent glass in dolomite all over the area as far away as 50 miles from the impact site out of tributaries.

I'm not exactly flying blind and new to this if you get my drift. They're definitely both super dense. I didn't even polish the brown one after it ate a few diamond blades. By barely magnetic, I mean barely any pull. It's there but it's so weak.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What leads you to believe so? I've been collecting extremely rare rocks for over twenty years and have an extremely extensive collection. It takes 4 semi's to haul my collection around. So I'd like a professional reason, not just a typical nope from a coin and gold Hunter.

LOL! Rare "rocks" are not meteorites. What strewnfield did you recover these from? Are there any known strewnfields in your state? Have you ever seen an oriented meteorite? You have no idea who I am, or what my accomplishments are, but I can assure you I have found and sold more real meteorites than you have held in your hands.

Best of luck to you!:skullflag:

Attachments

• Frank's Meteorite.JPG
    Frank's Meteorite.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 107

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK Rocks a lot, Which ones are actual meteorites?

Attachments

• riteorwrong.jpg
    riteorwrong.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 142

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, how about an atypical nope? Nope! TTC lol

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took what I thought was a meteorite to NASA (Kennedy Space Center) because it was very heavy and had crystals in the holes. They were excited because their plasma cutter could not easily cut it. Turned out to be industrial chromium slag! Even the experts can be fooled. Hint.... Rare does not make it a meteorite. Try the nickel test suggested by O Richard Norton in his book Field Guide To Meteorites. Also suggest his book Rocks From Space. Might also try the ORIGINAL meteorite man, Robert Haag. He has confirmed Meteorites for me in the past. He autographed his book for me at a book signing! The nickel test is best. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even the iron Meteorites would cut. No big deal cutting iron Meteorites. TTC

OP
OP
Rocks A Lot

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL! Rare "rocks" are not meteorites. What strewnfield did you recover these from? Are there any known strewnfields in your state? Have you ever seen an oriented meteorite? You have no idea who I am, or what my accomplishments are, but I can assure you I have found and sold more real meteorites than you have held in your hands.

Best of luck to you!:skullflag:

A rock is a rock no matter where it came from. Wanting details to go hunting? I'm done with this thread unless there is helpul information and not narrow sighted criticism. I just figured couldn't hurt to post and hope for trusted labs that people have worked with. To much to ask I guess. I guess back to waiting until Brian Poelker has time. Thanks for wasting my time and your's.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A rock is a rock no matter where it came from. Wanting details to go hunting? I'm done with this thread unless there is helpul information and not narrow sighted criticism. I just figured couldn't hurt to post and hope for trusted labs that people have worked with. To much to ask I guess. I guess back to waiting until Brian Poelker has time. Thanks for wasting my time and your's.

Taking your rocks and going home? :laughing7: If you had not insulted me I could, and would have offered you advice. Next time, don't kick the dog when it's the cats fault.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Rocks A Lot

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK Rocks a lot, Which ones are actual meteorites?

Just to humor you... I might of hit b with a hammer hoping for a nice olivine from a basaltic looking rock... The rest of I would leave in the stream. I don't live in the desert and there's tons of granite and basalt here in all shapes and sizes. It has to stick out a lot for me to even bother with it. Most generally untumbled material or fossils in the streams.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to humor you... I might of hit b with a hammer hoping for a nice olivine from a basaltic looking rock... The rest of I would leave in the stream. I don't live in the desert and there's tons of granite and basalt here in all shapes and sizes. It has to stick out a lot for me to even bother with it. Most generally untumbled material or fossils in the streams.

Just to "humor" you my friend, they are ALL meteorites. Gold Basin, AZ.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Rocks A Lot

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took what I thought was a meteorite to NASA (Kennedy Space Center) because it was very heavy and had crystals in the holes. They were excited because their plasma cutter could not easily cut it. Turned out to be industrial chromium slag! Even the experts can be fooled. Hint.... Rare does not make it a meteorite. Try the nickel test suggested by O Richard Norton in his book Field Guide To Meteorites. Also suggest his book Rocks From Space. Might also try the ORIGINAL meteorite man, Robert Haag. He has confirmed Meteorites for me in the past. He autographed his book for me at a book signing! The nickel test is best. TTC

Ehh I've been down the meteowrongs road ages ago. I've been through cabinets in the back of many museums and seen hundreds upon hundreds of meteorites. These two are worth a go. Especially the red one! Acids do nothing to it, it wrecked diamond wheels, in proper lighting it glitters so fine it hurts your eyes, submetallic luster, couldn't melt powder ground off with a acetylene torch for assay purposes, strongly oriented (aerodynamic or airplane shaped) with regmaglypt scars down one side and tail, appears to be rusted glass but is red completely through as microscope shows. I've used it for a paper weight for about eight years. The other one about twenty years as a paper weight. Time to do something with them. I guess I could call isgs, that thief coming down and I'd throw them in the river. At least it would be amusing for me. Better than negative feed back.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You placed a question mark on your heading for this post. The heading should have been...Want to take some rude replies from another rock/meteorite poster? There have been 10 meteorites finds certified in Illinois. The odds of you picking up two more are not good. You asked, I would say not meteorites. And your claim that they tore up your lap...not likely, unless you skipped the water lubricant/cooling part. Have a great day.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never said they was iron. If so I would of throwed it back.
I did not call your rocks iron. My point was that even iron meteorites are no match for NASA's plasma cutter. It would indeed be an unusual "meteorite" that stumps the scientists at NASA. They found the rock to be almost pure chromium by putting it into (I think they called it) a spectrometer. Again, learn the nickel test. Iron/nickel rocks are so rare on the earth's surface that scientists consider it the best layman's test to the rock's celestial origins. I have eaten crow here on "the Net" as to my suspected Ms too. No malice was meant by my good friend Terry Soloman or others here. Even if the truth hurts, we move on. You can too. If not.... just move on. TTC

OP
OP
Rocks A Lot

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did not call your rocks iron. My point was that even iron meteorites are no match for NASA's plasma cutter. It would indeed be an unusual "meteorite" that stumps the scientists at NASA. They found the rock to be almost pure chromium by putting it into (I think they called it) a spectrometer. Again, learn the nickel test. Iron/nickel rocks are so rare on the earth's surface that scientists consider it the best layman's test to the rock's celestial origins. I have eaten crow here on "the Net" as to my suspected Ms too. No malice was meant by my good friend Terry Soloman or others here. Even if the truth hurts, we move on. You can too. If not.... just move on. TTC

Both of your replies insinuates I'm an idiot and that I should just give up without lab certification. I feel that both of your opinions are a complete joke. I don't believe any of you take any one else's post serious. You're rarely helpful to people on posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread