Could a meteorite be made up of Nickle with pieces of copper in it?

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
I found a chuck of heavy Chuck of what looks like melted Nickle with bits of copper in it several years ago. Had some people at a local college look at it. All they could say is it could be a meteorite and I should have it checked. Any Ideals?

Crystallize

Apr 12, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that a meteorite can consist of any metal/rock as all elements are consistent in the universe.
That is one of the few consistent things there are ...

So if it has been molten and there is no volcanic activity in the area there is a big possibility that the stone is from space.
Iridium is the only element that is more common in space than on anywhere on earth. 8)

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think crystal is right although I've never heard of coopper in meteorite, but what impressed me is that crystal would now that about iridium. I didn't know that. Thank you crystal

OP
OP
C

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Re: Some Pictures of whatever it is.

At the top of picture 4 you can see where I broke off a small piece and can see what looks like copper. I am guessing it is mostly nickle because it does not rust and it is not soft like silver. As you can see some of it is turning green. I don't remember it have much green on it when I found it about 7 years ago. It is not attracted to a magnet and seems heavier than iron.

Attachments

• nicklecopperthing 003.jpg
    nicklecopperthing 003.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,473
  • nicklecopperthing 004.jpg
    nicklecopperthing 004.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,282
  • nicklecopperthing 005.jpg
    nicklecopperthing 005.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,295
  • nicklecopperthing 006.jpg
    nicklecopperthing 006.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,279
  • nicklecopperthing 007.jpg
    nicklecopperthing 007.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,314
  • nicklecopperthing 008.jpg
    nicklecopperthing 008.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,186

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Gosh Dano, this is a possibility. Silver and some alloyed copper---

But Silver is malleable and soft. I understand that a piece was broke off
and the rock is harder than silver.

Silver is also heavier than iron. Native silver is associated with copper. Silver can be found in an irregular mass. Silver may tarnish to brown or gray-black.

Copper is also malleable, but reddish on a fresh surface. Not quite as heavy as silver and
also the same hardness when scratched.

~One way is to check the rock as being malleable, just tap on it with a hard object.
~Scratch the broken-off fresh surface with a knife. It may look silver-white(?).
~Also, raise the top of a toilet tank cover (the underglazed side) and scratch the rock
on this underside. The streak silver-white(?).

Whatever it is; native silver with some alloyed copper---it still a good find and a conversation piece.
However--- if it is a meteorite--- WOW; the rareness and potential value.

T

treasuretrapper

I found an M in this tree in my back yard........ last night i saaw this blue bright lght outside my window and i went out there this morning and there it was! i rock about the size of a baseball was in my kids favorite climbing tree! kool, huh?

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Looks like Iron slag or led to me.It could be a piece of natural tin or even nickle and that is something very hard to find also!You might be able to sell it at a mineral show.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I agree with ghost surf as being slag.
There are features on it that suggest coming from a furnace. Notice the small spheres or rounded globs. One picture actually shows a cavity. Notice also(with the exception of the green stuff) the homogeneous nature (ore specimens have other minerals). Furnace specimens also may have a glassy appearance. There is the possibility that the green stuff is not copper as on occasion have seen green glass(blue. ect)with furnace specimens. Exact composition unknown? lead? However as silver is associated with lead in nature being composed of lead/silver would not be unreasonable.

Actually knowing the history of the area where you found it may provide you with an answer.

George

OP
OP
C

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
I was using a whites Spectrum when I found it. It was found at the edge of a field by a tree where that sloped down toward a creek. It was near the site of a 1900's college. The college did burn down. I thought it might be melted clad coins at first. I have only seen one small piece of copper it it so far. Since the college burnt in the early 1900's, coins where silver, gold or copper, no nickle. All I remember was in was high up in the coin range. It reads 00 26 on my Explorer II. It is not lead, silver, or tin. There is one spot where I have found a small piece of copper. The green is corrosion that is forming since I dug it up. I think it's nickle because it is turning green like some nickles I have found. It also does not rust. Since I know it's not a meteorite I have beat on it slightly with a hammer. It does not dent except on the corners but it knocks the green corrosion loose. I have also polished part of it with a dremel tool and it shines like silver. If it was silver I could scratch it with a knife. I can flatten a corner with a hammer but it flakes off afterwards. Unless heating silver to a high temp makes it hard and brittle then silver is out. Next, I may cut a piece off to get a look inside.

D

don Lupe

No Charles, what you have is a piece of slag form a copper refinery, tailing dump or railroad beding like around SW sites.. I've seen a lot of this material seeing that I live I Douglas Az which has hugh Tailing piles covering everywhere..OK?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions