Civil War - Tithing Depot aka Supply Depot
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Aug 2011
    1 times

Civil War - Tithing Depot aka Supply Depot

I was wondering if anyone had ever detected a supply depot or tithing depot from the Civil War?

I've seen a few of them on old maps and understand it is where tobacco, corn, etc. was stored (usually along roadways) for Confederate troops but I've never heard of anyone hunting that type of site or what was found. I understand there could be temporary camps around the depot but what I'm more interested in is what can be expected, as far as military relics, just from the depot itself.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    366 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hunted this area for many years and found a wide assortment of union relics .
    this area also had a huge dug in camp . STONEMAN’S STATION

Stoneman’s Railroad Station, was located below today’s Conway Elementary School site. According to Noel Harrison, National Park Service historian, Stoneman’s Station was a “flag stop” on the U.S.M.R.R. (R.F.&P.). It received its name in November of 1862 when it was established to supply the nearby camps of Union General George Stoneman’s III Corps. About half a year later, it became a complex with two canvas-roofed platforms, two sidings, two sheds, a railroad car converted into an office, a bakery, and an assortment of tents. This depot was an important Union supply base during the Fredericksburg Campaign and afterwards. During Lincoln’s April 1863 visit, he visited troops in hospital tents located at the station.

Sponsored Links