Explorer II Headphone Recommendations anyone?

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,
I recently acquired an Explorer II and was looking for a recommendation for some new headphones to hunt with when spring comes. I've been hunting with an Explorer XS with Jolly Roger headphones from DetectorPro. I like them but now I'm in a position to get some new ones (Grey Ghost? Killer B's? SunRay Gold?...Who knows?). I'll be placing an order for some accessories for spring, including new headphones, so just looking for suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks and HH,
SgtSki

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
SgtSki in MI said:
Hey all,
I recently acquired an Explorer II and was looking for a recommendation for some new headphones to hunt with when spring comes. I've been hunting with an Explorer XS with Jolly Roger headphones from DetectorPro. I like them but now I'm in a position to get some new ones (Grey Ghost? Killer B's? SunRay Gold?...Who knows?). I'll be placing an order for some accessories for spring, including new headphones, so just looking for suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks and HH,
SgtSki
I use a pair of Sony Studio standards that are so comfortable and quiet. The padded ear muffs are nice for no sweating and can be replaced easily and the muffs are readily available. I can wear them for hours and hours with no sore ear or headaches from poorly fitting headphones. The Sonies are designed for comfort and sound!

The superb frequency response allows me to hear the slightest nuance of tone change and I find that the Sony Studio Standards are hard to beat especially as inexpensive as they are.

What is really nice is that if you do not like them, most retailers will gladly give your money back in a month if not satisfied.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use GG NDT and they are good. Doubt I'll ever switch.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you know the DetectorPro brand you should try their Grey Ghost Ulitimate or Black Widow's. I like my Black Widow ones because they block out a lot of outside noises, stereo or mono, limit switch, better sound from ear cups than I get with my Jolly Rogers. They were cheaper at the time I bought them and now I realize the difference.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the SunRay Gold headset. Over the years, I have bought a ton of headsets, now I just use my
SunRay Gold headset. I had trouble with the cord, but Ralph took them back and strengthend the cord and I have had no problems since.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

HH, Ringfinder

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Grey Ghost because they have a circuit that takes small signals and boots the perceived volume yet also limits the loud signals so they don't hurt your ears or give you ear fatigue. The circuit is a compressor/limiter circuit, not to mention the super high quality construction. Mine were stolen recently and I was shattered! I will replace them. I also like the single ear Killer B's if your hunting in bad areas and want to be able to hear when someone is coming up from behind you. Will eventually get some of those too.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

iron_foot

Feb 19, 2008
i am now using a pare of wolf walborn vcx headphones i got them given and i can't fault them one bit. the Sound quality on them is very good. on 1 side of the phones there is a small volume adjuster which controls the volume level of each ear equally at the same time, once set it doesn't get moved easerly like my previous cheap set did which i got fed-up of keep adjusting them as the volume knob was way to slack. they fit to the head and ears really comfortably and the best thing is i can wear my woolly hat on top of them without it coming off. my old headphones kept falling off all the time when bending over to dig holes which realy got on my nervs but the wolf walborn headphones never come off. also they have a much softer long flexable cord.

Attachments

• DSCF7607.JPG
    DSCF7607.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 314

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Wow, I am sure you've looked at the many other threads on headphones. The fact is this one accessory is probably the most subjective of all. I mean if you ask what a good digger is, Lesche is on the top of the list. But ask about headphones and it seems to be divided amongst the top 3-4 makers / brands.

There are a couple of things though that I think are common to most folks when it comes to headphones...

Good quality
Comfortable
Good sound

I would add two more things that may be somewhat subjective...

Made specifically for Metal detecting - I think this goes along with good quality in that these headphones tend to be more durable then typical stereo type headphones Also, things like longer coiled cords, water resistant, etc.
Have a noise limiter - All I can say is if you have ever pinpointed a shallow target with a Minelab(or most detectors for that matter) then enough said.

With that said, after trying many different headphones I found RATPhone MSAs to work the best for me. Beautiful, you hear every little peep but not too scratchy, sharp and squeaky like the other brands!! Unfortunately they are no longer being made! AAAAAAH!!!

Well, hope this helps somewhat?

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I have bought two in within a years time, Grey Ghost and Killer Bee's. Both headphones quit working on me. I sent the Killer Bees in to have them fixed and they work great now. I prefer the Killer Bee's between the two of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread