DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so this topic is pretty important for me, because its gonna decide whether I pour more money into the budget I didnt want to spend. Why is the pinpoint on the Explorer II not good? Is it that bad to the point where I neeeed a Sunray probe for it or is it just personal choice? I would test it myself, but its still winter and we are suppose to get more snow. I looked at the price of them and im really on the edge. I know it will probably make my detector even more awesome, but I would of waited to buy one that came with a probe if i knew it would need one. Any help is appreciated

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Explorer XS that I got a couple weekends ago came with the Sunray X-1 Probe, and I think it's pretty handy!
Previously, I've just been using my Vibraprobe 570 with my old detector... and it worked great. But the Sunray probe works through your control box and directly into your headphones, so you're picking up the exact same signal that your coil picked up.
I'd suggest getting one, if you're able. There may be some people looking to sell one here on T-Net as well... just gotta look around.

Bran <><

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was one for sale in the classified ads on here with the upper shaft for $100 I think. Thats a good deal half off. The best thing about them is that when you cut your plug you can just stick it in the hole and it will come through your headphones. Then if its a iffy signal when you cut the plug the sunray will confirm what is in there without digging all the dirt out to find out whats there. Plus no lugging a pinpointer around with you or forgetting it at home like I use too. It wont help you pin point any. But once you cut the plug you will know exactly where whatever your looking for is. Plus I think its a lot more sensitive too compared to a hand held. You wont regret buying one thats for sure.

Mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Bobby I just looked on here the Sunray I was refering too I saw on ebay. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for catching my mistake Iron Patch.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its ok, i put up a couple posts askin if any1 is selling one

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw that ya did, good luck finding one. I tried to get a couple on ebay myself when I was in the market for one and kept getting outbid, so ended up buying a new one. Got it from Dallas on the forum great guy to deal with. Good luck.

Mainer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
its ok, i put up a couple posts askin if any1 is selling one

That is one thing I would suggest to buy new and you can get it straight from the source. (Ralph at Sunray) You don't save much buying used, and take a real chance at getting someones junk, plus it won't save a heck of a lot of money. I don't understand why these are expensive to fix but apparently they are. (Someone messaged me the other day their bill will be $130) I'd rather pay the extra and know I'm guaranteed a year worry free. It's not something you need to hit the panic button for so just wait until you have the extra cash to get it.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I guess it would be nice to have though. Im really focused on some headphones for right now

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Yea, I guess it would be nice to have though. Im really focused on some headphones for right now

Good phones is probably a better first choice. It wouldn't hurt to have a cheap pinpointer though.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you recommend for good headphones?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
what you recommend for good headphones?

I can only tell you what I use and am happy with.... Grey Ghost - No Down time

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hate to reiterate Bobby but, listen to Iron man.
He does gives good advise.
I am an authorized sun-ray dealer for Ralph in Iowa. He is a good man. Give him a call and ask him the questions you are seeking. He is very friendly and informative. My company name is : All Around Asheville
we are on the sun-ray website as an authorized dealer in NC. Let him know that I sent you and you just want to learn about probes and coils. You will get educated. :wink:
Good luck. Mike

Ralph: 319-636-2244 Sun-ray coils

http://www.sunraydetector.com/

As far as the Headphones go. Again, Grey Ghost from detector-pro electronics.
Yes, we are also an authorized Detector-pro dealer. http://www.detectorpro.com/

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I know Iron Patch knows his stuff, hes the man. He helped me to confirm that I wanted an Explorer II. I appreciate the both of you in wanting to help me out, your interest in my posts has encouraged me greatly. I will look more into the probe and the headphones and make an accurate decision about my budget. I think I may be able to get both without it being a hassle. I wish this snow would go away so I can do some tests, but research isnt bad either.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby, since money is an issue, the headphones would be much more important than the SR-1 for now. Like IP, I also have Grey Ghosts NDT and they have been the best headphones I have ever gotten in 30 years. The pair I am using now have been through a lot of rough brush and have gone thru several cords over the years, but the tone from the headphones on the Explorer are perfect. The SR-1 is going to add extra weight that may or may not bother you, but the benefit of helping to find a target once located is a great help in recovery. The SR-1 probe won't necessarily help you get more finds, since that is done with your knowledge you gain using the Explorer, but it will help reduce the dings on coins, thanks to more precise pinpointing once the hole is opened up and a time saver on those small items hard to find in the dirt pile, like a Half Real, Half Dime, small buttons.

Don

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don, I appreciate your input as well...The headphones sound like a good deal, I looked at the price of Grey Ghosts as well and they seem to be a bit pricey also, but i think i can manage those at least. Right now, I have about $150.00 I can spend, so im tryin to make the best decision

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
I hate to reiterate Bobby but, listen to Iron man.
He does gives good advise.
I am an authorized sun-ray dealer for Ralph in Iowa. He is a good man. Give him a call and ask him the questions you are seeking. He is very friendly and informative. My company name is : All Around Asheville
we are on the sun-ray website as an authorized dealer in NC. Let him know that I sent you and you just want to learn about probes and coils. You will get educated. :wink:
Good luck. Mike

Ralph: 319-636-2244 Sun-ray coils

http://www.sunraydetector.com/

As far as the Headphones go. Again, Grey Ghost from detector-pro electronics.
Yes, we are also an authorized Detector-pro dealer. http://www.detectorpro.com/

I'll up my advice to either dealing with Ralph, of 4-H... because he has no where to run and hide. ;D Authorized dealers provide just the same as Ralph would and it would be a bonus to be able to solve any possible issue through private message here.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Oh I know Iron Patch knows his stuff, hes the man. He helped me to confirm that I wanted an Explorer II. I appreciate the both of you in wanting to help me out, your interest in my posts has encouraged me greatly. I will look more into the probe and the headphones and make an accurate decision about my budget. I think I may be able to get both without it being a hassle. I wish this snow would go away so I can do some tests, but research isnt bad either.

You should hold those thoughts until you get out there. Many love their explorers but there's also some who it just doesn't work for. But if you have the patience I'm sure you will succeed.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacob Ingledew said:
Always something folks want you to buy;

Yes, and your point is? I don't think Bobby is feeling any pressure and can make his own decision. I certainly have nothing to gain from suggesting it's a good option to have. That's based on using an explorer a very long time and knowing what the pinpoint can do, and can't, in trash. If you never have any issues with targets in the side of the hole, or when masked, I hope you can share some of these thoughts because I have never been able to avoid having to cut an additional plug out of the side of the hole. Heck it's useful to me and I hunt fields where I can be as messy as I want. In a park there's no question I would want and need it.

PS... There are many days I do go without it and get along ok. But there is always at least one or two targets I lose, and many I have to cut that second plug. Again that's in a field. Any type of lawn setting where I have be neat it's a must have.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacob, I appreciate your input...I've known these guys for awhile now, and I trust their judgement. They know im on a budget and are just tryin to give me the best scenerio. I know as a fellow detectorist your giving your own opinion as well. Im going to look at what this one guy has to offer for the probe..see what shape it is in, and go from there. i have the money to spend for a new probe and the headphones, but im trying to get the best deal I can. Its more than my budget, but I can deal if it helps with my detecting.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Bobby I have both a Garret and a Sunray probe, Whilst both probes are good the Sunray is the better of the two. The Sunray going through your machines circuitry, goes deeper, discriminates, and you can use it to set up discrimination patterns. The Sunray when used in pin point mode on the Explorer detects deeper than it does in Discrimination mode. Deep targets on the edge of the probes depth capabilities which will sometimes not give a clear signal can also be located by the drop off in the threshold, if this was not going through the machine you would not hear it. I do own and use an Explorer2 with my probe. The probe will allow you to find your targets much quicker, increasing your detecting time considerably, increasing your number of finds in the process. As far as headphones go stick to the standard Koss headphones they are the correct ohm setting and are comfortable. I have bought other brands, Killee Bees and others but go back to the Koss. Happy hunting seeya Neilo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread