Old Excaliburs

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
Old Excalibur's

I see that on Ebay 2 of the first Excaliburs made are up for bid. They have the bids up around $500.00 and will more than likely go higher than that............ I thought about bidding but came to my senses what if i win one and pay $600.00 for it then have to send it to Minelab to be checked out and could use some new parts then it cost me $300.00 or $400.00 to get fixed that would make me sick . I should just buy a new one............................ Also i saw a Fisher cz20 on ebay and was told buy a freind if you send it in to get checked out they want to up grade it to a cz21 for he said that a lot of cx20 detectors has parts that fail in them. Never know what to do any more.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Excalibur's

I have one of the orginal Excals and only had to send it in once for a damaged coil. Mine has no trouble on saltwater sand popping an cracking like I hear the Excal II does. Course this could be because it is advertised as more sensitive or just run hotter so natch it is slightly unstable.

My CZ-20 has silicone sealant smeared on the push point button as this is where a lot of failures happen. I don't use the push button anyway. When it dies, I'll deep six it and won't buy from First Texas as those Fishers now are assembled overseas. They charge an arm and a leg for repairs to the older Fishers.

OP
OP
hawk-run

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used

Sandman but the repairs could be costly if needed. I hear all the time that the first Sovereigns are a better detector than the newer ones. Is that the same with the Excaliburs ?

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heads up, Minelab has stopped repairing the old Excalibur's with the sword on the side!

OP
OP
hawk-run

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the information i sure don't want to pay $500.00 or more for a detector i can not get repaired.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hawk-run said:
I see that on Ebay 2 of the first Excaliburs made are up for bid. They have the bids up around $500.00 and will more than likely go higher than that............ I thought about bidding but came to my senses what if i win one and pay $600.00 for it then have to send it to Minelab to be checked out and could use some new parts then it cost me $300.00 or $400.00 to get fixed that would make me sick . I should just buy a new one............................ Also i saw a Fisher cz20 on ebay and was told buy a freind if you send it in to get checked out they want to up grade it to a cz21 for he said that a lot of cx20 detectors has parts that fail in them. Never know what to do any more.

Just like MT Pockets said they do still repair some of the "sword" Excals, but there are certain parts they can no longer get. I would be cautious buying the "sword" Excal, but I would not hesitate for a second buying the newer used ones.....I have bought 3 Excals used, every one arrived in perfect working order.

I have had to send in only one on my Excals, and sent it in twice on seperate occasions, once for headphone issue, the other for a cracked coil, I sent a used coil with it and they swapped it out....The total for both trips with shipping and repairs was under $200. It is still no where near the cost of a new Excal II....

The last Excal I bought I paid $475 for it and put a used WOT coil on it and a straight shaft on it. I have a total of $600 in it now, that is half the price of a new Excal II, and it has a WOT coil and straight shaft on it too.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread