SOV GT on land...

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a sov GT and was using it in the backyard. There is alot of trash in the yard, and I have some coins burried in the yard I used as a test garden for my old whites prizm and ace 250. I have a hard time locating those coins. I found a few, but dug alot of foil, and trash with it. Wanted to know if there is a certain setting to use to pinpoint those coins only? Or this machine is made to dig almost everything thats metal? Also was hard to pinpoint when i found something. Maybe because there was trash around what I was trying to pinpoint? Not sure..... I want to try using this machine on the beach, and see what happens. One good thing, is i dug a 1882 indian penny in my test garden that my whites prizm 5 or the ace 250 didnt pick up. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're going to confuse people saying test garden when I believe you mean test area? (maybe just different enough to understand better) Test garden implies checking targets that you know the exact location. It through me off for a minute trying to figure out how you could not locate test garden coins. Anyhow... I'm sure the Sov. isn't different enough from the explorer for me not to say, it sounds like it's working as it should. Like all detectors you want to pick up all non ferrous metals, and if it's cherry picking coins that's your preference it will have to be a Sov. owner to comment on that. As for having a hard time to pinpoint it is very normal if it's your first time using a DD coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you learned the Sov GT is a different type of detector. It will respond to all metals that are not Iron if Iron Mask is turned on and disc is low. It will sound off on most coins very deep. Pinpointing is different from regular detectors with concentric coils as you don't X the target. Instead when you get the signal, wiggle the coil back an forth as you pull it back toward you to make sure the target is in the hot spot along the center of the coil from front to back. Then slowly push the coil forward an when you first hear the signal again the coin is just off the front tip of the coil. Try it on clean ground with a coin on the surface. :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sovereign Wiggle

Attachments

• wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 366
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 360
  • wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 348
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 354

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
saltfisher said:
One good thing, is i dug a 1882 indian penny in my test garden that my whites prizm 5 or the ace 250 didnt pick up. :)
Great, now you can go out to those parks that have all the pulltabs and bottlecaps extracted by Ace250 and Prizm 5 users and pull out some deep silver!

Seriously though, you may have to back off the sensitivity a bit when in a trashy area. Afterall, its like trying to kill a fly with a cannon. The GT is a monster compared to what you had before. Hence the reason for all the signals.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread