Tips for a newbie EXII

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Got an EXII last weekend but been too busy or it's just been too hot to try it.
I have the 10X12 SEF and stock coil but other than buying Andy's book, any suggestions?

From what I've read my best bet maybe to do a factory reset and just go slow and get used to the sounds.
I was curious if the sounds would be similar to an Xterra 70 w/ multi tones?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Makon

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds are not the same, and their is no factory reset because there is no programing. Turn on and go. Since the Iron Mask is always on, dig everything else for awhile. You especially want to dig the same low growls like a pull tab makes as it is the same as most gold rings. Try Auto for awhile till you get used to it and low disc like ONE. You won't need pinpoint to find the target, just do the Excal wiggle while pulling the coil toward you and when the sound disappears, slowly push it forward and when you first hear the signal the target is just off the tip of the coil.

OP
OP
M

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Thanks, Sandman but I may have posted wrong...it's an Explorer II not Excaliber.

Makton

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy's book has good suggestions. Set it up in one of the relic programs, run a little iron mask and dig every signal for a while this will shorten the learning curve a little. Sounds are generally high tones are usually coins, low are iron. Aluminum and gold and gold can be the same. I like to learn the numbers FE & Con. I found they are most usefull to me. 3/30 was usually a nice silver coin. Andy's book has a chart and you can search for other post on the web (VDI numbers for the Explorer II). I saved everyone I got and compared them. Also made my own form finds, just waved them 4" in front of my coil or set the find on the ground.

Ed D.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
best would be to get some friend who have used explorer and learn with in field, even if he lives few hours out.
about book I dont know in this and other forum you can get everything by asking and reading old post. good luck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The basics are....

Hunt in Iron Mask mode (-8 to -10 range to start) Sens. in man. (probably low 20s), put your gain at max (10) & get used to the unit that way, and learn to adjust your swing speed & the length of your sweep depending on the amount of targets or trash in the area. (Many people don't get this and probably never will)

From there it's probably more tweaking than anything.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put your time in. The Ex II is a great machine. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread