Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be interested to see the replies to this as well.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
The Excal II in it's boxed form is way too heavy for land work! (depending on how long your sessions will be?) A straight shaft adaptation or a hip mount is a must.
In my opinion the Excal is a water detector,and as such should be used just there. Other detectors are designed specifically just for land. It'll do the job sure,after all it's just a waterproofed Minelab Sovereign-a good "land" machine. If you can only afford one detector and also want to use it for diving then fine,give it a go.

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
I've used the Excal on land many times and as long as the relics you're looking for aren't iron it would certainly do the job. If you're strictly going to hunt on land and not "in" the water you might consider the Sovereign GT.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I got my Sovereign, I used my excal 800 as my sole land machine. Yes it was heavy, but doable. I did finally construct a straight shaft. I can't comment about relic hunting with the excal, because I don't relic hunt. However, I found two silver rings, a 10K gold ring, some wheaties and TONS of clad with the excal. I found it much more usable than my explorer 2 (why I sold the exp and bought a sovereign). I wouldn't discount the excal as a land machine. I liked it as such.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies y'all. :thumbsup: I dont think weight will be a problem for me but I would definatly hip mount it when using it on land.My cz is a heavy detector but hip mounted I can swing all day with no problem.I'm still thinking on it....I may get the excal and sell off my cz-20 and xs....and get another xs (mine is old and tired)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread