sovereign gt doa

Tector

Apr 4, 2011
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
Hey everybody, I need some advice. I just bought my 1st ever sovereign gt new from detectordeals.com_$800 free shipping. I read up on it and watched tons of videos. I'd say I have a pretty good understanding of the controls. The problem is I cant get any depth out of it. I buried three pennies @ 3,4,5 inches. It doesnt beep at all out them! The only way I could find them af is by hearing a chang in the threshold. I also have a penny I buried@4" about a month ago _same thing. Tried this at another location same results. I'm devastated. Been over a week too late for refund. Do you think this is worthy of warranty work? I've called minelab. No answer and now its the weekend. Any thoughts? Double checked coil connections and charged batteries. It does sound off @ 3" doing an air test

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear your having trouble with the Sov GT. Have you tried All Metal mode? Tried different frequencies and sens settings? Are you sure you are using fresh batteries in the regular holder and not the recharable one. It is to early to have dirt in the coil cover but make sure. Is the salt mode turned on? If in disc mode, the pennies aren't notched out are they?

The Minelabs are not the best for doing air tests or finding freshly buried coins and especially if the ground is dry. It is best to phone Minelab so you can talk to a tech and he will walk you through it.

good luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
Tector

Tector

Apr 4, 2011
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
Hey thanks for troubleshooting thoughts. I've tried all metal and disc turned fully anti-clockwise. Believe me i've tried everything...aside from standing on my head! I am wondering what you mean by salt mode?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the following.

Set the descrimination all the way counterwise.
Set disc switch to on.
Set the tracking to fix.
Set the notch filter all the way counter clockwise.
Set the Threshold / Silent search switch to Threshold.
Set band to 1 or 2 that doesn't matter.
Turn the volume all the way clockwise.
Set sensitivity to auto.
Set the Threshold to sound like a loud mesquito in your ear.

When you have it set like this wave a dime or a quarter in front of the coil, what do you hear? Remember a freshly buried coin in the ground is not going to report like one that has been buried for awhile.

When I first got my SOV GT, I buried a gold ring about 6 inches in wet beach sand, the Sov GT did not see it, but the same Sov GT has pulled up many deep gold and silver pieces.....

OP
OP
Tector

Tector

Apr 4, 2011
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
Ok did that. Tried finding any of my 4 buried coins, no beep. After several slow passes at different angles I could hear the threshold change to higher pitch.

OP
OP
Tector

Tector

Apr 4, 2011
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
Oh yea I did get a signal waving a coin past it. I dont know maybe i'm worried for nothing. I did get signal with my tesoro silver. Different beasts I guess.. Also freaked out watched a youtube video where a guy buried coins @ up to 8" with success

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tector said:
Ok did that. Tried finding any of my 4 buried coins, no beep. After several slow passes at different angles I could hear the threshold change to higher pitch.

How long have your 4 coins been buried and how deep is each one buried?

Before you buried the coins did you sweep the area you were going to bury the coins and remove all metal, especially any iron?

When you sweep the coins do you still have the threshold, or do you lose the threshold? (If you lose the threshold you have buried iron with your coins and your losing the signal due to this.....)

The longer targets are buried the better your detector will detect them, this is the "halo" effect, ground minerals reacting to the metal in the coin or other targets....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you better just send it to Minelab...........And the Sovereign does not have a salt mode......I don't care what any one says if it will not detect a new coin just put in the ground at 3 , 4 ,or 5 inches it is not a good working metal detector......... It is made to detect metal no matter how long it has been in the ground ............ Not just coins that have been there for years..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tector said:
Oh yea I did get a signal waving a coin past it. I dont know maybe i'm worried for nothing. I did get signal with my tesoro silver. Different beasts I guess.. Also freaked out watched a youtube video where a guy buried coins @ up to 8" with success
If your Tesoro detects it your Minelab should....... It is a metal detector made to detect metal.......new metal old metal any metal .... If i got a new detector that would not detect a coin at up to 5 inches in the ground no matter how long it's been there it is not working right.................. Why would you want to use a detector like that ............... Why not just use a wood stick and you will get the same signal.."NONE "............ Send it to Minelab.... All it should cost you is the shipping cost.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the salt mode statement. I got carried away. :icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you moving over it slow ?

also if you just bought it
the dealer should help.

if you get the tone change it sees it

so it should sound off

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
That's ok Sandman we all get carried away here at one time or another........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Sandman said:
That's ok Sandman we all get carried away here at one time or another........
Yeah but my carried away moments are coming faster and faster........... :help:

OP
OP
Tector

Tector

Apr 4, 2011
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
So it rained hard last night. All coins signal now. Minelab called back first thing this am. Talked to kevin_the tech. He said if air tests at all its fine, its just me. Still seems fishy. I gotta agree with jeff.If it sees it why just threshold change. Maybe ill buy an 800$ magnet. I dont know maybe I better stick with it. Wont know till I find a deep target. After all the horrer stories, at least customer service seems good. Kevin said it was 6am where he was!

OP
OP
Tector

Tector

Apr 4, 2011
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
if there's anyone within an hour radius of davenport, ia with a sovereign please let me know. I'd love to do a side by side comparison. Will travel. Maybe make a detecting buddy, i'm pretty friggin cool! Definitely joking bought the whole cool thing :-\

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sovereign & Tesero are Definately 2 different animals.

especially when it comes to sounds.

not sure on speed.

Hopefully You can find somone in your area to help.

Lora the Explorer

Jan 21, 2008
Harrison Twp., MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hi Tector,
I have a Sovereign GT, so air-tested a penny, dime, and quarter. I waved each coin approx. 10 inches from the bottom of the coil and it could detect each coin separately at the 10 inch distance and closer. I recently detected a penny in the ground, over a foot deep. Wish you were closer, we could do a side by side test. The threshold gets louder when it detects the coins, there is no kind of bing or pinging sound, just different threshold sounds, some (like a quarter) are very loud, while others have a lower threshold sound (like a nickel). Don't know if this helps, but I hope so. Good luck with your new detector....

Laura

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can't find some one in your area that has a sovereign to help you then................... Just send the detector back to Minelab and have them check it out............. Don't mess with it if it don't work right it don't work..............Mess with it long enought it will be winter and you did not get any hunting in all summer........................ We have been sending our new Garrett AT pro detectors back 2 & 3 times it seems that these detector companys don't care about quality now a days.......... They say oh but the company has great service........... But it is still a pain in the a$$ to have to send new detectors back..........I am starting to think that the only detector co. that puts out a good product is Tesoro.....And i don't even have one but that might change............

Seaweednh

Feb 3, 2007
Newbury, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tector said:
if there's anyone within an hour radius of davenport, ia with a sovereign please let me know. I'd love to do a side by side comparison. Will travel. Maybe make a detecting buddy, i'm pretty friggin cool! Definitely joking bought the whole cool thing :-\

Purchase UPS shipping online and send just the control box and coil back to Minelab. This will cost you less than $15 with insurance. You definetely have a defective machine, it happens. When it comes back, you will love this machine. Minelab has a very good service department.

Regards,
Ron

Excalibur II
Sovereign GT
E-trac

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Seaweednh said:
Tector said:

Purchase UPS shipping online and send just the control box and coil back to Minelab. This will cost you less than $15 with insurance. You definetely have a defective machine, it happens. When it comes back, you will love this machine. Minelab has a very good service department.

Regards,
Ron

Excalibur II
Sovereign GT
E-trac
That's right if it don't work right send it back get it fixed........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread