E-trac & Gold Coins question

jharris473

Greenie
Dec 14, 2005
E-trac & Gold Coins question

I had a quick question for all, but mainly directly to users not dealers of the E-trac MD. I hear its a great machine but will it identify/pickup gold coins targets well? I know it does a great job with coins in general, including silver, but what about good ole American gold coins minted in the 1800s? Anyone had any success with gold coins. I would luv to see pics, if possible.

James, in Texas

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Re: E-trac & Gold Coins question

James, I am yet to find gold with my etrac, but I have scanned a few $5 and $20 gold coins under the coil. I can tell you that my machine does NOT give that good high dig me feedback like it does with silver and clad. It is more of a mid to low tone, but consistent. I have the FE-CO numbers written down and if I ever swing over a target that matches those numbers, I"ll dig and see what happens. I'm curious to see responses from others on this as well, GREAT topic!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VDI numbers for ETRAC

F C
US gold 1 dollar 11-12 11
US gold 2.5 dollar 12 22
US gold 5 dollar 12 31
US gold 10 dollar 12 38
US gold 20 dollar 13 44

They are all over the place. But you can read them all. The only reasons you are not finding them is they are not there or you are not placing your coil in the right spot. Always use as little discrimination as possible. Try two tone ferrous is in an iron filled environment.

Ed D.

Ed D.

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track

I am just starting to learn about my e-trac, but I read several posts and links where people had found gold items. Hopefully before long I will be one if them.

Is there any significance in the numbers posted as gold being around F11-13?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

The only problem the Etrac has with gold is where small thin chains are concerned. If it's not picking up gold coins easily...then it's broken!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I know you don't want a dealers response, but I am also a user of the Etrac. I have found several nice 1700 to modern day coins with mine.

tmanly

May 28, 2010

I decided to hunt a local park, and was going to dig everything just to get a feel for the numbers. The third signal wass a solid 12:12. It was an 18k
gold ring. I have tested other gold items and they all seem to hit in the low 11: XX and 12;XX range. but be prepared to dig a lot of junk also.
I think the key is solid number, if it jumps around a lot, keep walking.

Tom in SC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

The etrac will pick up gold coins just fine! Even the smallest $1 denomination, which comes in as a beaver tail type TID, will still ring nicely. Although I don't have an etrac, I have found a few gold coins with my Exp. II, and the abilities of each are the same, in regards to gold coins, TID's, etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread