help safari

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too! I am gonna drink the koolaid and get one. I have read a lot about them and just ordered Andy's book on the Safari. I have considered many detectors and narrowed it down to the Safari and X-tera 705. I seriously considered a Fisher CZ3D, but since they went First Texas depth performance bites. That is a shame. After a ton of reading I choose the Safari. I want depth and hopefully that is what I'll get. I can handle going slower and learning it's language. I am now just waiting for tax return time to nail one new or used on Fleebay.

How do you Safari users like yours?

Just check out my videos and you will see how much I like mine

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what are the big differences between the Safari and Etrac?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea what is ur youtube name. Id like to see them.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's at the bottom of my signature

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what are the big differences between the Safari and Etrac?

I've never used an etrac. But from what I've heard its just a simplified version of the etrac less bells and whistles

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am now just waiting for tax return time to nail one new or used on Fleebay.

Feel free to give mea ring! I will make you a much better deal and have full warranty! BESURE to mention Tnet!

medicman985

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2012
paintsville, kentucky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter , and minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just got mine,,only been out once to a flea market,,had a hard time getting use to it,,my other one is an old bounty hunter,,tried to lower the sensitivity, and then tried to block some of the trash with auto,,but hard to do,,,where as i didnt have as much trouble with the bounty hunter ,, just gonna have to get more use to it and maybe go with smaller coil..

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
medicman985, I have no doubt it's gonna be harder to learn than the bounty hunter. Stick with it and figure it out because it will run circles around that BH. I would highly recommend reading this book- Safari Handbook . I just got mine and will read it front to back several more times before I get detecting this spring.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just got mine,,only been out once to a flea market,,had a hard time getting use to it,,my other one is an old bounty hunter,,tried to lower the sensitivity, and then tried to block some of the trash with auto,,but hard to do,,,where as i didnt have as much trouble with the bounty hunter ,, just gonna have to get more use to it and maybe go with smaller coil..
Another thing that is key to success, is that unlike your BH you need to slow down....a lot!
First Texas machines in general will tolerate being swung like you're making hay, but Minelab's are different. They process way more information to present to the user, and to be able to do that they need time. You almost can't go too slow. Any faster than 2½-3 (measured) seconds per sweep is too fast.

medicman985

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2012
paintsville, kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotcha,,i see what ya mean,,ill slow down and give it another try,,just hope the ole lady that ran me off from the flea market doesnt give me any more hassle,,some people are just not understanding!i believe ive got some good places to m/d around here and am chomping at the bit to get going!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I mean slow, what I mean is that especially in heavy trash you need to go slow enough to isolate each target. It takes time, patience, and practice. It generally isn't a race either, so learn to take your time and reap the rewards.

Something to try sometime. Locate known coin targets in the ground, and then play with how slow you can go and still get good tones, and the qualities of those tones. You can watch the TID, but if you know ahead of time that it's a coin, then one thing that you might notice is how far off the ID can be even with a good tone. Audio always trumps.

Good luck!
HH!

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup..go slow...and dig all repeatable signals..Tones, Tones, Tones...try not to focus to much on the display

I run mine in Coin Mode, Sensitivity at 17, Threshold at 9 or 10, Trash Density on High....I do sometimes run in Jewlery mode as well.

I used to run an Ace 250, then upgraded...it does take a while to get used to it....stick with it..the safari is an excellent machine for the money.

medicman985

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2012
paintsville, kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys,,do ya think i need a smaller diameter search coil for the trashy places i have been known to frequent,,per say, the flea markets,those darn tarp grommets are giving me fits..and what coil would be good for my machine,,does the fbs need specific coils to work properly..saw an excellartor coil on ebay for like 80 bucks. was just a wondering?

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi from across the pond. Michigan. I like my Safari really well, it finds silver dimes and Quarters fast as I can scoop them up at the beach. Just yesterday I found my first 1972 Kennedy half dollar. I really do listen to the tones like everyone says, I have only had it since the fourth of July this year of 2013. Do buy Andy Sabisch's book it helps a ton of info in it, if you get a Safari. Dig Deeper Now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread