E-Trac Trash Setting...LOW!

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read somewhere (sorry, can't recall if this forum or not), that regardless of wether you're hunting a trashy site or not, to have trash density set to LOW. HIGH has additional filtering that could cause one to miss the faint blip of a desirable target. Me, I'd rather have more hits from my machine to cipher, than to miss an old coin from too much filtering. Any thoughts on this from E-Trac Veterans or E-Trac Noobs (like me LOL)? I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this matter, and any other expansion of the subject...

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my E on the low trash setting all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
extractor said:
I run mine on the low trash setting all the time.

It just makes sense all things considered, doesn't it?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, running like that is turning your E-Trac into a 1990's era detector. The biggest strength of the E-Trac is it's ability to see around iron. In order to do this you set the trash to "high". High trash setting tells it to respond to the strongest ACCEPTED response. Low trash setting tells it to respond to the strongest response regardless. If there is a peice of iron trash above the coin, or the iron is larger and gives a stronger response than the coin, that is the only thing the detector will recognize. This means all you will ever get is a reject null for those co-located iron/coin targets.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
No, running like that is turning your E-Trac into a 1990's era detector. The biggest strength of the E-Trac is it's ability to see around iron. In order to do this you set the trash to "high". High trash setting tells it to respond to the strongest ACCEPTED response. Low trash setting tells it to respond to the strongest response regardless. If there is a peice of iron trash above the coin, or the iron is larger and gives a stronger response than the coin, that is the only thing the detector will recognize. This means all you will ever get is a reject null for those co-located iron/coin targets.

I thought discretion took care of that part. Guess I missed something. You always run trash high?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
Jason in Enid said:

I thought discretion took care of that part. Guess I missed something. You always run trash high?

Always. I base that decision on the advice of Andy Sabich. If anyone who routinely pulls large numbers of silver from very trashy sites says they use trash=low, then I will reconsider. So far I haven't heard of it happening.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
No, running like that is turning your E-Trac into a 1990's era detector. The biggest strength of the E-Trac is it's ability to see around iron. In order to do this you set the trash to "high". High trash setting tells it to respond to the strongest ACCEPTED response. Low trash setting tells it to respond to the strongest response regardless. If there is a peice of iron trash above the coin, or the iron is larger and gives a stronger response than the coin, that is the only thing the detector will recognize. This means all you will ever get is a reject null for those co-located iron/coin targets

I second this! :thumbsup: Get Andy Sabisch E-Trac book and read it twice. It will open up your eyes on what machine is doing and can do. GREAT read!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andy would know for sure, and yeah, I should get his book sometime! Thanks guys!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
Andy would know for sure, and yeah, I should get his book sometime! Thanks guys!

I'll loan you mine! It does a much better job of explaining the functions than the owner's manual.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
okdiggermark said:

I'll loan you mine! It does a much better job of explaining the functions than the owner's manual.

I'll take you up on that Jason. Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
I agree Jason. Mark, if you would try this in a high trash situation using both options, you will notice the difference. I run my machine in low trash for the most part, but when encountering these dense iron situations, I'll override the setting. Great thread!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodland Detectors said:
Jason in Enid said:
I agree Jason. Mark, if you would try this in a high trash situation using both options, you will notice the difference. I run my machine in low trash for the most part, but when encountering these dense iron situations, I'll override the setting. Great thread!

Thank you Mike! I'm new at Etrac.....but analytical about it and want to learn all I can as quickly as I can. I've gone over waaaaaay too many targets with my previous detector already! Ya can't beat experience, (I realize) but knowledge is the next best thing! I appreciate everyone's input!!! :headbang:

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine in trash high all the time. It is amazing finding a wheatie 7" deep under what looked like a BBQ grill grate that was 4" deep. A nail in a hole with a dime. It still blows me away.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OtraVez said:
I run mine in trash high all the time. It is amazing finding a wheatie 7" deep under what looked like a BBQ grill grate that was 4" deep. A nail in a hole with a dime. It still blows me away.

I've taken the advice, and have locked it in high trash. OtraVez, you're right....I've found dimes with nails on top of them also....almost touching the coin!!! Ya just can't argue with a detector that can do that!!!

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Trash High just cuts audio signal-to make it shorter to get second audio signal, very simple and for most targets its absolutely no different what you will use, Low or High. From my experience not using discrimination in TTF and respond Long with manual sensitivity makes biggest different. I never use any Low or High settings. Make simple test with iron and different coins with different setting and you will see what is best.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stasys said:
Trash High just cuts audio signal-to make it shorter to get second audio signal, very simple and for most targets its absolutely no different what you will use, Low or High. From my experience not using discrimination in TTF and respond Long with manual sensitivity makes biggest different. I never use any Low or High settings. Make simple test with iron and different coins with different setting and you will see what is best.

You need to learn more about your E-Trac. Trash setting on high doesn't cut the signal short, it changes how the detector analyzes the signal.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Jason in Enid said:
stasys said:

You need to learn more about your E-Trac. Trash setting on high doesn't cut the signal short, it changes how the detector analyzes the signal.
Are you sure? :-X How do you know? did you try testing targets with different setting? Look Videos from our friend in Germany he filmed allot, very informative and simple. I solve for my self long before how to use etrac.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Hey Stasys, I never moved trash density high to neutral in that video. I think you have confused something. I played with recovery fast on and off (and TTF I think) - and yes, recovery fast on clips or chops the signal, very clearly so. It also seems to distort the signal some, which is why me and a lot of other guys don't like to run it. I have found TTF with recovery fast on to be better in VERY THICK iron.

But trash density high is VERY IMPORTANT to have on in iron or where there is a lot of trash. It does exactly what Jason said, according to the documentation, Andy Sabisch and some other notable hunters. So, I keep it on on.

I tested trash density high when I first got my E-Trac but the iron wasn't heavy enough for me to notice a difference. But it did not clip signals, that much was clear.

That is my video btw guys, that is why I jumped in here. Hope it was helpful though :evil5:

eheheh
Albert

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Hello Albert, I just propose to look your Videos, this Video just connection to your youtube, I think you should have about high-low density too. Sorry for confusions. :hello:
I disagree with you about trash density High, until I will have clear understanding what it does, except shortens signal. Books is very good, but field test makes it clear. drop me your video link if you can show, that High trash density makes better signal from target then low. Etrac form Explorer moved not so much except faster recovery with discrimination, everything ells new in Etrac its not the best improvements.

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you be missing the boat....

Hello Albert, I just propose to look your Videos, this Video just connection to your youtube, I think you should have about high-low density too. Sorry for confusions. :hello:
I disagree with you about trash density High, until I will have clear understanding what it does, except shortens signal. Books is very good, but field test makes it clear. drop me your video link if you can show, that High trash density makes better signal from target then low. Etrac form Explorer moved not so much except faster recovery with discrimination, everything ells new in Etrac its not the best improvements.

I have been running my e trac for over a year, and can say that NOTHING finds good targets next to and/or in the same hole with junk as having your "trash density" set to HIGH. With it set to low you will find the junk not the coins.....you need to believe what you are hearing here as it be the truth......however if you wish to remain contrary on this subject, please let me know where you are hunting, I would love to follow you around and pick up the stuff you will miss.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread