Etrac problem...anyone experienced this?

dfg4240

Jun 26, 2008
Pittsford,NY
Detector(s) used
whites eagle Spectrum. Mxt, Silver umax, Bandido ll umax, X-terra 70, Xterra-705, fisher F5, fisher CZ-70 pro
(3)Tejons, 3-Cibola, Teknetics T2, minelab Safari. Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-3d. (2)el
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Glad I stumbled on the thread.
I was going to buy a used Etrac in mint shape.
forget it. Over $800 for a circuit board-not worth it
Good luck to you-I had three minelabs but they were the Xterra 70 and the 705 and the Safari and I was just thinking should I get the SE pro or go for the Etrac.
Not even thinking about it anymore.

dfg4240

Jun 26, 2008
Pittsford,NY
Detector(s) used
whites eagle Spectrum. Mxt, Silver umax, Bandido ll umax, X-terra 70, Xterra-705, fisher F5, fisher CZ-70 pro
(3)Tejons, 3-Cibola, Teknetics T2, minelab Safari. Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-3d. (2)el
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey-I used to work directly for RCA in the old days-Back when transistors were coming out-I had over 2200 hrs of theory.I went anywhere and got a job because most could not tell a PnP from an NpN transistor. One thing I could do-(with a scope ) is trouble shoot down to the component.Seems like they don't do that anymore. Just replace the whole board.
That stinks-I'm sure they have some boards around and they know probably exactly what component it is but that would mean a cheaper repair.
Hourly rate charge and the cost of the component.
Well I'm sorry for you-especially after all the minelabs you had.-you deserve better than that.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is very bad news. You need to find an electronic technician, detectors are complicated but many other things are more complicated and still get to be repaired. What you should ask minelab is if the can provide a schematic of the board ( even if I think I know the answer to that)...

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the mods.here Treasure Hunter knows 2 guys that work on Minelab ...he will see this thread and answer ,i hope

dfg4240

Jun 26, 2008
Pittsford,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you said you did the factory reset where you hold the on button down but there is also a master reset.On the E-TRAC metal detector, turn on the detector by pressing and holding the power button until the Reset message appears on the screen and the tune plays. Note that some stored information or personal settings are not reset after a factory preset. If you are sure then go to the bottom of the Preferences menu (spanner icon) and select ‘Master reset’.
Just trying to help

Last edited:

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a Electronics Tech by trade, since you can turn the machine over and the problem goes away, that tells me there may be a cold solder joint. Now the issue is that there is surface mount technology most likely on that board. Plus it will be fine pitch meaning it is very small leads on the chips. I used to be able to touch up solder joints on surface mount chips but they have gotten finer and finer. But there is also thru hole technology on boards also that are bigger in size and easier to touch up the solder joints. There could be residue on the board that with moisture made the residue like bloom or corrode. This could cause erractic behavior. Cleaning the board with a circuit board cleaner like from radio shack might help also. Visual inspection of the board with a magnifier glass might show something , you would be surprised as its most likely something simple , most times it is. A good tech always looks for the obvious and most times it makes him look like a genius. Cold solder joints are not shiny but rough in appearance. Good Luck.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Amen to that. I have brought 2 vintage stereo receivers back to life simply by spraying them down with Deoxit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread