Etrac problem...anyone experienced this?

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II
Etrac problem...anyone experience this?

Turned the machine on today to do a little detecting. It started just sounding off random beeps. Hold it up in the air or to the ground changed nothing still a barrage of random sounds. Turned it from manual to auto and it goes away. Reads about 16 on sensitivity but not random beeps. Turn it back to manual and goes haywire again. Turned it off and did a reset by holding the on button. No help. Removed the stock coil and put on my 5" sunray same problem. I then flipped it to the sunray probe in manual and it calmed down and had a steady threshold. Probe would read a target like normal. I then removed the sunray and replaced it with the stock shaft. Same problem no matter which coil I had on. I then discovered that if I would lay the detector on its side while it was doing this it would calm down and have a steady threshold. Turn it back upright and it goes crazy.

Any thoughts on this. Had four days of detecting planned after the holiday but I am starting to think that is a dead horse now!! :laughing7:

Tom

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you try it in more than one location. Possible EMI?

DieHard

Greenie
Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pull the coil cover off and clean it and put it back on, Just my thought, hope it works good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
I did try it in different locations including my own yard. Same problem. The weird thing is when it is doing it I can turn it on its side and it stops. I could just search vertical dirt walls.....;)

Coil cover is completely off.

Thanks guys.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very weird....

I would call Minelab Monday. They have an EXCELLENT customer service department!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still sound like EMI.
Cell phone in your pocket?
Invisable fence in the yard?
Neighbor (or you) have Wi-fi?
All are known to cause problems.

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Not EMI or Sensitivity. Motherboard is toast. $897 to repair/replace.

Ouch!!!

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Very weird....

I would call Minelab Monday. They have an EXCELLENT customer service department!

They are really good they were able to tell me the motherboard was burned without ever opening the box! Just received it back from service and they never bothered to open my box. Just wrote "not under warranty" and "erratic signals" on my box and when I did not want to repair it for $897 they just put it in another box and sent it back to me. Unbelievable!

If I had not already ordered a replacement I would seriously be looking at another brand. Nine minelabs in a row and this might be my last one.

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
The broken one was purchased from Kellyco.

It does behave like a burned motherboard. Why does turning it on its side make it stop?

Last edited:
L

lost hunter

Don't minelab have someone in Florida that works on detectors that's out of warranty ?

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
That should have read "It does not behave".

You may be thinking of the certified minelab techs that are based at Kellyco. That is where Minelab had me send the unit. If there is someone else I have never heard of them.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd contact ML CS, and insist on sending it to the Illinois facility. They could use the feedback on your experience so far, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Illinois repair center.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok if it is the mother board maybe u can fix it, it looks like it works alright maybe a diod or resister, that can easly be repaired by u, its broke now what can it hurt

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
I'd contact ML CS, and insist on sending it to the Illinois facility. They could use the feedback on your experience so far, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Illinois repair center.

I have not heard back from them since 7/6/12.

gunntekk1 - That is my next move. A lot of my ham radio buddies repair boards all the time and if I can not even get a response from Minelab it is worth a shot.

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Thanks Bart. I did get a response from the Tech at Kellyco. Still would have been nice for them to at least open the box and turn on the detector before quoting a price to repair it.
[FONT=&quot]The erratic noises on the E-Trac is actually a common failure. We get a few of them in every now and then, but because the machine is digital and most of the components sit on a PCB board, when we detect a problem that is links to that area, all we can do is replace the PCB. It's much like the mother board on a computer. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.[/FONT]

bosco

Mar 23, 2012
knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same problem with my Etrac. My problem turned out to be an issue with the battery. I would try another batter in it before you spend any kind of big money on it. When I took the rechargeable battery pack out and put the one with the double A batteries in it the problem went away. I contacted Minelab about it and I had a new battery pack within a week and I haven't had the problem since.

Hope this helps and maybe you'll get lucky and that's all it will be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions