Is straight shaft THAT much better S-shaft and why?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several extra shafts and am trying to come to some final configuration. I will probably use the detecting buddy to reduce weight so maybe it doesn't matter. I guess the only thing I can figure that is more comfortable is the handle on the straight shaft, especially because it usually has a strap on it. BUT for those of us who use discriminate mode and have to flip the toggle for pinpointing(all metal), is it a hassle to reach behind your elbow continuously like one has to do with the straight shaft. Also with the straight shaft it seems more difficult to mount a meter so that it's comfortably visible. Why is the straight shaft so much better or preferred?! I know that is the last stock configuration for the soon to be discontinued GT... but still can't figure the real advantages other than the comfort of the handle.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Difference between night and day.... The long straight shaft is balanced, the controls on rear count balances the coil and vica versa...The s shaft has all the weight on your forearm.... I can humt dawn to dusk with straight shaft, try that with the S shaft...

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Difference between night and day.... The long straight shaft is balanced, the controls on rear count balances the coil and vica versa...The s shaft has all the weight on your forearm.... I can humt dawn to dusk with straight shaft, try that with the S shaft...

I'll second that!!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Excal, and its pretty heavy, so I can understand the balance thing, but I also almost only hunt in PP, so with a straight shaft, I dont see how I could switch back and forth, between PP and Disc. My chest mounted system didnt work out too well either, it alwasy seemed to be in the way.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mount controls by elbow on straight shaft, easy to switch back and forth, best way is to have pp mounted into your hand grip, but that is a special mod...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
For some reason could be i have been at this to long......And it is hard to teach a old dog new tricks........... I really like the S-Shaft better even though the straight shaft makes it seem lighter..............I have no use for the straight shafts at all.......

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have seen that push button mod, if I were experienced with soldering etc. I would definitely do that. I have seen that done with a White's shaft that has the button already in the handle. That is one thing I miss about my first detector(which was a White's and had that feature)

mount controls by elbow on straight shaft, easy to switch back and forth, best way is to have pp mounted into your hand grip, but that is a special mod...

" I have an Excal, and its pretty heavy, so I can understand the balance thing, but I also almost only hunt in PP, so with a straight shaft, I dont see how I could switch back and forth, between PP and Disc. My chest mounted system didnt work out too well either, it alwasy seemed to be in the way. "

Yes, I like to be able to flip between modes with my index finger, which I cannot do with a straight shaft.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input guys:notworthy: ....OK what about a Sun Ray pinpointer...where is the best placement on both/either style of shaft?

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The straight shaft is king, not only does it provide relief to your shoulder due to the weight distribution being balanced out instead of all the weight basically on your wrist and forearm it undoubtedly makes it seem lighter. This being said you swing faster, hunt longer and dont gotta empty out that bengay bottle when you get home. The shafts aren't expensive and even andersonshafts makes an absolutely beautiful carbon fiber shaft. Go straight shaft buddy, u wont regret it.

CB

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both types of shafts(the straight IS easier on the body for sure), but I have to have access to the pinpoint toggle: with the straight shaft I have to lift the whole detector to get my free hand behind my elbow and to the switch. Trying to pinpoint with a DD coil is hard enough with out losing your spot on the ground to flip the switch. It is easier to see my meter on the top of the S-shaft too. The pinpoint mod would be PERFECT but I don't have the know-how and I don't want to ruin my GT. Fortunately I have a support strap that makes the detector weightless, so I can keep the S-shaft as my main detector configuration. Minelab could've really made some money on an analog/digital hybrid (lighter,computerized with some analog knobs like the F5) of The Sovereign instead of discontinuing the series completely
The straight shaft is king, not only does it provide relief to your shoulder due to the weight distribution being balanced out instead of all the weight basically on your wrist and forearm it undoubtedly makes it seem lighter. This being said you swing faster, hunt longer and dont gotta empty out that bengay bottle when you get home. The shafts aren't expensive and even andersonshafts makes an absolutely beautiful carbon fiber shaft. Go straight shaft buddy, u wont regret it.

CB

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both types of shafts(the straight IS easier on the body for sure), but I have to have access to the pinpoint toggle: with the straight shaft I have to lift the whole detector to get my free hand behind my elbow and to the switch. Trying to pinpoint with a DD coil is hard enough with out losing your spot on the ground to flip the switch. It is easier to see my meter on the top of the S-shaft too. The pinpoint mod would be PERFECT but I don't have the know-how and I don't want to ruin my GT. Fortunately I have a support strap that makes the detector weightless, so I can keep the S-shaft as my main detector configuration. Minelab could've really made some money on an analog/digital hybrid (lighter,computerized with some analog knobs like the F5) of The Sovereign instead of discontinuing the series completely

IMO... They should of not of discontinued the Sov series at all. But buy doing that now you have to look at the Ctx 3030.
IMO... I hardly ever use the pinpoint or meter on any detector.
Wiggle the coil and when the tone stops the target is at the end of the coil. Meters only give you their best guess.
So a person is using the pinpoint function trying to locate the target and also looking at the meter to figure out if the #s are worth stopping to dig. A lot of time is wasted by doing this.
What i do is pick my targets by tone and dig, (once in a while I will look at a meter). I have tryed a LOT of headphones before I found a coupple that work for my ears. I use Black Widows in windy or noisy conditions and Garrett stowaways in areas that I need to be aware of the surrondings.
The Tone is the key indicator of the target .
I let a friend use my E trac and I used my Sov at a local park. We both got the same amount of good targets at the end of the day.
As for weight of the detector, I have several light weight back packs that I use a home made bunge from the pack to the detector. Takes most of the weight off the arm ,,so basicly all i do is steer. I do prefer a straight shaft over the s shaft , but by the use of a bunge , the weight / confort issue gets gone.

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use a bunge on my Excal, its still heavy, but in the chest level water, I can let go of the detector, when Im digging, which is a big plus. No straight shafts here, so just have to wait, to try one out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use a bunge on my Excal, its still heavy, but in the chest level water, I can let go of the detector, when Im digging, which is a big plus. No straight shafts here, so just have to wait, to try one out.

Another plus to the harness is being able to let go of it when needed and having it hang by your side controls up....I ahve let go of mine many, many times in the water while I work on a target with my scoop....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab meter is very accurate...and hunted for years without one. Nice to have AND I have the stock 180 meter which is even better. Yes when the CTX 3030 used models finally drop into the low 1000's (lowest I have seen already is $1650!) I will be buying one. I know many guys buy it -overspend- get frustrated with it- and try to get some of their money back. Eventually I'll get one if it's around $1200. We shall see. I really like the feature for identifying multiple targets under the coil, that seems like it would be VERY useful!

IMO... They should of not of discontinued the Sov series at all. But buy doing that now you have to look at the Ctx 3030.
IMO... I hardly ever use the pinpoint or meter on any detector.
Wiggle the coil and when the tone stops the target is at the end of the coil. Meters only give you their best guess.
So a person is using the pinpoint function trying to locate the target and also looking at the meter to figure out if the #s are worth stopping to dig. A lot of time is wasted by doing this.
What i do is pick my targets by tone and dig, (once in a while I will look at a meter). I have tryed a LOT of headphones before I found a coupple that work for my ears. I use Black Widows in windy or noisy conditions and Garrett stowaways in areas that I need to be aware of the surrondings.
The Tone is the key indicator of the target .
I let a friend use my E trac and I used my Sov at a local park. We both got the same amount of good targets at the end of the day.
As for weight of the detector, I have several light weight back packs that I use a home made bunge from the pack to the detector. Takes most of the weight off the arm ,,so basicly all i do is steer. I do prefer a straight shaft over the s shaft , but by the use of a bunge , the weight / confort issue gets gone.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a pair of alu crutches, at the auction, $4.00, so will see how to make my own, but where to mount the control box? (Excal) I hunt a lot in chest deep water, so thinking about mounting the controls sideways, so there will be minimum water resistance, and easier to switch from dis to pp. The Excal s shaft is really killing my forearm and wrist. Usually hunting from 3 to 5 hrs, and the last hour is dreaming about a cold beer!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the strap I mentioned with my Etrac, no fatigue whatsoever!
Just bought a pair of alu crutches, at the auction, $4.00, so will see how to make my own, but where to mount the control box? (Excal) I hunt a lot in chest deep water, so thinking about mounting the controls sideways, so there will be minimum water resistance, and easier to switch from dis to pp. The Excal s shaft is really killing my forearm and wrist. Usually hunting from 3 to 5 hrs, and the last hour is dreaming about a cold beer!

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I prefer the S shaft with the control box mounted under the armcuff. If Im swinging a bigger coil like a WOT, I have an extension I put on it that puts the control box further back for better balance.
The only straight shaft I ever liked was one I had awhile back that was a whites upper and middle rod. It had a real nice pistol grip to it.
I agree with the posters who say the forward mounted control box is awkward/heavy, thats to much for me also.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Before I went to the remote Discrimination button I just flipped my pod around. When I switched to disc the knob is just a few inch's from your handle hand. Next winter I maybe able to offer a kit for those who want to do there remote Disc/PP mode. Making endcaps now, and have a friend that just turned me on too solderless connectors, so no soldering would be involved.

OBN0010 (2).jpg

I've been hunting in PP/ reverse discrimination for over 6 years now, seen a few things the excalibur needed from experence. The remote disc switch, and now Skullies, speakered UW headphones for those who hunt in PP. The audio is perfect since they use the same speakers as Sunray Golds/BlackWidows, Killer Bees. Stock koss yellows are good but these blast them and GGUWs out of the water. Excellent for hearing those faints, which are now more pronounced. OBN0024.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread