New detector

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The X-terras are very good machines. There are alot of coil options for them. The 705 can use three different frequencies for hunting just by changing the coils. 3khz, 7.5khz and 18.75 khz coils are available in different sizes. Go to youtube and type in X-terra 705. There are alot of videos on these machines and you will see that they go deep. You can't go wrong with Minelab.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Thank you for your help, I will take a look at u tube, thanks again for taking the time to help me!

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may want to consider Minelab Safari...really easy to use...turn it on and ground balance..and GO...the coin mode is deadly on coins. Overall excellent machine....check ebay for a good used one...but one brand new will run you a little over 1,000.00....I got mine on ebay for less than 500.00....check it out on youtube.

I started out using the Garrett Ace 250...I was going to upgrade to the AT PRO..but I decided to go with the Safari...A buddy of mine hunts with the Pro and loves it....AT PRO and Safari are both excellent machines...But your not going to find the silver coins unless you put the coil over the coin and then decide to dig it.......Good luck

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the Xterra concentric coil,of course, is easy to pinpoint with, but you probably already know that as I think the Spectrum has a concentric coil.
Thank you for your help, I will take a look at u tube, thanks again for taking the time to help me!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough call on which Minelab to buy, but I'd take the 705 over the Safari. The main reason is that I don't think that the Safari is enough different for the $.
There is a BIG difference in the technology employed, but the Xterra can be tailored for speciffic targets, and can be swung over ground that is nearly un-huntable with an FBS machine.

I've been hunting old homesites with both an XT-705 and an Explorer SE, and the Explorer is about useless at some sites. The 705 on the other hand, has produced quite well, and handles iron trash impressivley with a 3kHz coil on. The new Coiltek 6" 3kHz sorts through trash and slams on copper and silver like no other.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wanting to buy a new detector, was thinking about minelab xterra 705 . I have a whites eagle spectrum but would like a newer type also looking at Garett's . Any thought or other ideas? I like to mostly coin hunt an some relic hunting. Thanks!

Give me a call with your questions! Love to help you! Bart

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies said:
Give me a call with your questions! Love to help you! Bart

Thanks , it's really difficult to choose but all of the input I have gotten from everyone is really helpful, the only thing I don't like on the 705 is the display , I like the safari because it will show you what is in the ground, I know it prob doesn't make much since because I'm sure you can do the same with the 705 by listening to the tones!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 doesn't flash little icons at you, but the numeric TID and tones pretty much tell you as much as the Safari, and it has GB Features that the Safari wishes it had, as well as a no-motion Prospector mode that can be handy.

Then there's also the matter of weight.....

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Believe me, learn to hunt by tones first. That is the MD's way of talking to you.:icon_santa:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread