E-TERRA 705 or MXT Pro?

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the XT-705 has over the MXT is HUGE! By going to the Xterra you'll save 1.7lbs., you'll run on half the batteries, you'll have three frequencies to choose from instead of just one, you'll have 8 search modes instead of 3, you'll have auto/manual GB, GB Tracking and Tracking Offset, you'll have 28 tones instead of 7, you'll have auto/manual Noise Cancel Channel, and you'll have 12 coils to choose from.

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Longhair,

how about depth?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Longhair,

how about depth?
Compared to what? Where? Looking for what kind of target?

Sorry, but the depth question is impossible to answer. Soil conditions, coil size, frequency selected, and target size & composition all play roles in depth. I can say that I can hunt behind E-tracs and still find stuff they've missed. With my 15" coils I hit stuff that most can't even reach.

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great, thanks for the info Longhair, I really appreciate it!

HH
PTP

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xterra 705 all the way!
HI All,

I have been reading and hearing a lot of good things about these detectors, if you could have only one, which would it be and why? what makes the one better than the other?

Thanks for the input,

HH

PTP

P.S. Sorry about the Thread Title, I didn't read it before I hit save!!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Posted in the Minelab section, what kind of answers do you expect to get?

LOL!

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out f curiosity why not post the same question in the whites forum?

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I will. . . but I'm pretty sure I will get, for the most part, an opposite response

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will. . . but I'm pretty sure I will get, for the most part, an opposite response
Do it.
I'll be interested to see what is presented beyond some personal bias. I myself have no interest in what someone else buys. I just answered a question about what one has over the other.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you definitely presented some advantages over the MXT. I have seen comments from even White's users , that the MXT was a bit weak.
Do it.
I'll be interested to see what is presented beyond some personal bias. I myself have no interest in what someone else buys. I just answered a question about what one has over the other.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
I had an MXT (sold) nice big deep seeking somewhat heavy machine, I just purchased a XT505 (I don't prospect or relic hunt) and I think i'm in love, these hot lightweight machines are just plain cool! My base machine is a sov. GT which I'll always have but I say go for the 705 you won't regret it..just my .02
Good luck and HH

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What the XT-705 has over the MXT is HUGE! By going to the Xterra you'll save 1.7lbs., you'll run on half the batteries, you'll have three frequencies to choose from instead of just one, you'll have 8 search modes instead of 3, you'll have auto/manual GB, GB Tracking and Tracking Offset, you'll have 28 tones instead of 7, you'll have auto/manual Noise Cancel Channel, and you'll have 12 coils to choose from.

Great post!

The ability to swith coils and frequencies is a HUGE advantage. The 705 is a much more stable machine.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which do you like better the GT or 505? I know the 505 is likely lighter, but what about performance? Similar, when using similar coils?
I had an MXT (sold) nice big deep seeking somewhat heavy machine, I just purchased a XT505 (I don't prospect or relic hunt) and I think i'm in love, these hot lightweight machines are just plain cool! My base machine is a sov. GT which I'll always have but I say go for the 705 you won't regret it..just my .02
Good luck and HH

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didmt mean to post it to in the whites area to get oposite responses. Out of curiosity i wanted to see what the folks in white had to say. I have to go look now.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, i read up and will try and follow the whites post. I have seen many people who say they had whites and got rid ofmthem and got minelab but have yet to find one who gotmrid of a minelab and got a whites. I am not saying one is better an e other just stating what i have seen. As long as we find stuff that makes us happy does it matter what brand name is on ur machine? No just go have fun!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen many people who say they had whites and got rid ofmthem and got minelab but have yet to find one who gotmrid of a minelab and got a whites.
Depends on which forums you wanna read. There are plenty on both sides that have traded each way. I'm one. I wasn't impressed with what the E-Trac had to show me. I expected much more than what it had to offer. I didn't see any improvement over what my MXTP had so I traded it for a VX3 which immediately impressed me.
I'm not bashing the ET at all. It was a fine machine but definitely not one for me.
As long as we find stuff that makes us happy does it matter what brand name is on ur machine? No just go have fun!
Bottom line right there ladies & gents!

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you hunt? and where? All I can say is that I like having the option of hunting everything from relics to gold with JUST ONE MACHINE:notworthy:! Just buy the Xterra and don't look back! You won't have to look back because you can change the coil, change the frequency and hunt everything. Good luck:icon_thumright:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't found anyone that has had something bad to say about the 705 and I have been researching for a couple of months now. That being said I am more than likely going to buy a Tesoro Outlaw unless I can one heck of a steal on a 705. Right now I have to buy a Tiger Shark for the freshwater and this will drain the funds a little for the land detector leaving the Outlaw as a lot of bang for the buck. That 3 KHZ coil for the Xterra's will be a silver slayer. If I could find one negative thing to say about the Xterra's from my research it would be that the price of the coils is higher than most. Like I said, after months of research and phone calls that would be about the ONLY thing that I could hold against it..... and thats not much! Look at an experienced user like Longhair with this detector, he knows you can't go wrong with the Xterra!

That's just my 2 cents worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions