ETRAC WEIGHT

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
I have had both machines you mentioned (still have the E-Trac) and the V3i on my kitchen scale was around .5 pounds heavier (Yes, Kellyco's numbers are wrong). Some people have said the V3i is better balanced and others have said the E-Trac is better balanced. I like the E-Trac better but part of that (outside the weight) is that the V3i has that bigger box in the back and you have to slightly keep the unit farther from your body to swing it imo. Bigger to me is that each of us have certain sensitivities - be it a sensitive back or muscles or elbow, etc and for me the E-Trac was better but BOTH were poor overall. Each machine hits each of us differently.

All that said, I found both machines too heavy AND poorly balanced. I'm just about finished with my E-Trac mod (putting it on a straight shaft) and hopefully that fixes things. If your back, elbow, etc. are not sensitive to weight and repitition you might be ok though. I'm in very good shape but old injuries caught up with me a bit. I hope they re-do the E-Trac and balance it more like the CTX as even though it is heavy, the balance is spot on.

Good luck,
Albert

makoracer

Sep 25, 2012
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Etrac , CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an etrac and ctx both and oddly enough I hate the balance of the ctx. With the etrac I can hunt all day and my arm doesnt bother me, with the ctx my arm gets sore in an hour or so.

Brad

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a sling for it, you can reduce or eliminate most of the weight problem. Balance is a different story.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ONE of the reasons I got rid of my ET was because of it's weight. Not the weight itself but rather how it's balanced. It's horrible.

Others have 90yo paraplegic grandmothers with osteoporosis that can swing em all day long. Blah blah blah!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is the solution for any good detector that is too heavy or not balanced well. I bought one of the super simple Detecting Buddy straps and now my detector weighs nothing. I have a Sovereign GT on an S-shaft with the UK style 180 meter,Sunray probe and Lesche digger attached! Saves on having a bunch of junk hanging all over your waist other than a finds pouch. It slips off in 2 seconds slips on as quickly and as easily. I wonder why so many people with heavy or unbalanced machines have NOT tried this approach. I would hate to get rid of a machine I loved without trying something else.
If you get a sling for it, you can reduce or eliminate most of the weight problem. Balance is a different story.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your gonna compare the V3i and Minelab E Trac you will be greatly surprised in balance.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is the solution for any good detector that is too heavy or not balanced well. I bought one of the super simple Detecting Buddy straps and now my detector weighs nothing. I have a Sovereign GT on an S-shaft with the UK style 180 meter,Sunray probe and Lesche digger attached! Saves on having a bunch of junk hanging all over your waist other than a finds pouch. It slips off in 2 seconds slips on as quickly and as easily. I wonder why so many people with heavy or unbalanced machines have NOT tried this approach. I would hate to get rid of a machine I loved without trying something else.
Yup, that's the one I have also. It's simple, cheap, and works good.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your gonna compare the V3i and Minelab E Trac you will be greatly surprised in balance.
How so? Are you suggesting that the ET is balanced better?
I have a VX3 and it is head and shoulders better than the ET I had as far as weight distribution and ease of handling. Not even remotely close.

Last edited:

robertj298

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How so? Are you suggesting that the ET is balanced better?
I have a VX3 and it is head and shoulders better than the ET I had as far as weight distribution and ease of handling. Not even remotely close.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about over weight and balance with any of the newer detectors. I started detecting swinging an old whites 6000 d series 2 all day and any of the new detectors seem light as feather commissars to it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could too.....30-40 years ago. Some of us are getting tempermental elbows, wrists, shoulders, backs, etc. with our advancing years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread