X-Terra coil identification

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the X-Terra 705 with the standard 9" 7.5kHz coil & also the 9" 3kHz coil. In the owner's manual it says there is a label that ID's the x-terra coils with a M for medium,L for low & H for high. Nether of the coils that I have,have such a label. Further more I also read that there is a prefix letter in the serial# that tells you what coil you have-but in both coils there is no M,L or H. Yes, I can tell which coil I have with the display. Anyone else missing these labels or serial# without the identifying prefix?

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought 2 coils second hand and both had all the labels. I always ask for specific pics before I buy. If the seller doesn't seem interested in my request, I just figure he/she is hiding something and I move on.

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought 2 coils second hand and both had all the labels. I always ask for specific pics before I buy. If the seller doesn't seem interested in my request, I just figure he/she is hiding something and I move on.

Sorry, I should have stated that I bought the X-Terra 705 (standard coil) & 3kHz coil new from a Minelab authorized dealer.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard that the new coils won't work on the older 705/70s so maybe they aren't labeling them now.:dontknow:I have an Xterra 70 with the stock coil, 5"x10" DD 18.75 kHz coil and the 9" 3kHz coil.Wish I could be more help.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Minelab Xterra Coils will work with the machines that they were intended to work on. The unauthorized NEL coils are something that Minelab has made efforts to make not work, because NEL has pirated the technology.

The new coils should have a label like this one.

New Coil Label.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Minelab Xterra Coils will work with the machines that they were intended to work on. The unauthorized NEL coils are something that Minelab has made efforts to make not work, because NEL has pirated the technology.

The new coils should have a label like this one.

View attachment 763386

Thanks again Longhair....that is exactly the label that's on both coils,except mine are concentric. In the owners manual it does state that there should be a L,M or H on the coil-at least the concentrics (page 48). It is not there.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manual hasn't been updated since the change in labels, and likely won't be if that's the only thing that's changed.

The Chinese and Eastern Europeans have been counterfitting so many products, that several manufacturers have had to make changes or identify visual differences to help keep consumers from getting ripped-off. Do a search on YouTube for Chinese counterfits and you'll see what I mean.

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manual hasn't been updated since the change in labels, and likely won't be if that's the only thing that's changed.

The Chinese and Eastern Europeans have been counterfitting so many products, that several manufacturers have had to make changes or identify visual differences to help keep consumers from getting ripped-off. Do a search on YouTube for Chinese counterfits and you'll see what I mean.

Very good....thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread