Explorer 2 question

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I have tried unsuccesfully for the last several days to get somebody on the phone that works for minelab, SO I figured I would ask you guys/gals on here
I have had the explorer just a few weeks now, but I have a feeling that its not right.
What I would like to know is, where the coil cable connects to the connector in the control housing, is the connector thats in the control housing supposed to have play in it, it moves around freely when touched, is it supposed to be that way, or is it supposed to be non-moving.
For the life of me, I cannot see why it would be made flexible, I would think that would cause falsing, but maybe I am wrong.
That and my threshold sounds like somebody tapping out morse code, even with the sensitivity set to zero, made sure the coil is spotless too, but thats another question.

Mike

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The connector will move in the housing. I don't know what your tapping sound problem is.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac is the same way. Not a problem if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is this a new Explorer or used? I've never heard my threshold sound like morse code.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a little play is normal, but is possible to lose the connection and create a glitch in the detector. Did you try a factory reset? That's ALWAYS the first thing you try when you have a problem. In the case of losing the connection..... unplug it from the housing, plug back in, and hold the power button to start to reset. If that doesn't work after a few tries, then start looking at other possible issues. The next on the list by the sound of it would be electrical interference, and then the coil..... the coils often go, but interference is easier to rule out. Also if you have a Sunray probe attached take it off. It could be that, and leaving it off is one less variable to deal with.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried a factory reset, did not help.
It came with the stock 1050 coil and a detech excelerator 8 inch concentric, also came with the Sunray pointer, I had read somewhere that a faulty switch in the pointer could cause that issue, so I removed it, no help, now as I understand it the noise cancel is supposed to pick the least noisy frequency, but even with the sensitivity set to zero it still has a cut in and out threshold, what is weird though, it does that one day and the next the threshold is a nice solid hum, and in the same location.
And I bought it used, looked like it had never been used when I got it, the guy said it had less than 10 hours on it, told me good luck in figuring the beast out.

Mike

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a factory reset, did not help.
It came with the stock 1050 coil and a detech excelerator 8 inch concentric, also came with the Sunray pointer, I had read somewhere that a faulty switch in the pointer could cause that issue, so I removed it, no help, now as I understand it the noise cancel is supposed to pick the least noisy frequency, but even with the sensitivity set to zero it still has a cut in and out threshold, what is weird though, it does that one day and the next the threshold is a nice solid hum, and in the same location.
And I bought it used, looked like it had never been used when I got it, the guy said it had less than 10 hours on it, told me good luck in figuring the beast out.

Mike

Unless it's your headphones or the speaker it sounds like it could be an internal issue, which for an explorer these days is a death sentence. Very few of the typical problems will cut the threshold out... not a bad coil, not the probe, not bad batteries, not interference.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would it be a death sentence ? Minelab still repairs them I think ?

They don't repair the XS, and have a feeling they might not do the II either. But that probably doesn't matter because a circuit board issue would likely cost more than you'd be willing to spend.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you call Kellyco and see if they can fix it, they are an authorized Minelab repair center doing excellent repair work......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since he's near me, I'm going to try to catch up to him over the weekend to see if we can determine whether or not it needs professional help.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since he's near me, I'm going to try to catch up to him over the weekend to see if we can determine whether or not it needs professional help.

Since you'll be there are you going to look at his detector too? ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:
Well...detecting is a sort of sickness....but I don't know that even professional help will do anything for it.

Only if the professional help has a virgin place to hunt...:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if it costs more than say 200 bucks to fix it, I'll just throw it in the trash, cannot afford more than that, if it had not been for finding that silver flatware at a salvation army, no way I could have afforded one otherwise.
And I highly doubt the guy on Craig's list will refund my cash.
Which means I will be done with this hobby and just start going fishing, sounds drastic but it is what it is I guess.

Mike :BangHead:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it costs more than say 200 bucks to fix it, I'll just throw it in the trash, cannot afford more than that, if it had not been for finding that silver flatware at a salvation army, no way I could have afforded one otherwise.
And I highly doubt the guy on Craig's list will refund my cash.
Which means I will be done with this hobby and just start going fishing, sounds drastic but it is what it is I guess.

Mike :BangHead:

Back in the day a board replacement was costing $300. Hope you get it figured out and it's not near as serious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions