NEW CTX/VIRGIN SITE...UPDATE

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, within 1/2 hour of starting my second hunt, it was clear to me that this was NOT a "virgin site" at all! $#%! Someone had snagged the easy silver, probably some time ago. Finding the 1897 V nickel, the buffalo, all the older clad and some relics, all, within 45 minutes threw me off. The layer of older clad makes me believe it was either picked a long time ago, or they just cherry picked the silver.
NO WORRIES, in the approx. 5 and a 1/2 hours total time there so far the CTX did me proud, and I was still VERY SUCCESSFUL in the heavy trash site.
My best finds include:
A great, old, white gold and diamond ring!!! (guessing 1/3 -1/2 ct diamond)
1897 V nickel
4 mercury dimes
1 rosie dime
1 war nickel
2 buffalo nickels
11 wheats
a bunch of clad (I don't count it) An interesting find among the clad was, a pocket spill, that included 2 bicentennial (1776-1976) coins. A quarter and a half dollar. Anyone know if they have any collector value? I have found others at different locations and kept them, but,never checked them out.
Relics/interesting items:
Button with depiction of model T automobile
Button with depiction of a Mill scene with waterwheel, never saw anything like it before.
2 boy scout neckerchief rings

Although it was disappointing that it was not an undetected site, I could not be happier with the performance of the CTX in the heavy trash at the site, or my finds there!! I know there is still good things to be dredged up there.
Next time there, I plan on experimenting with a custom program with the High Trash program as the basis. Gonna modify the tones and use the ferrous-coin separation. I have been using the stock High Trash program up till now.
I am VERY HAPPY with the CTX! It has run as smooth as can be with no hicups at all. The more I use it, the more I like it.

IT'S ALL GOOD!! Thanks for reading.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds considering the site was hit already locater. Thanks for sharing...

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. Very little collector value for the bicentennial coins.....
A good indicator of a detectorist being there long ago is iron and trash lying on top of stone walls in the area, or at or near trunks of trees. Of course the best indicator of someone being there is open holes but let's all hope no one did that.

Good luck finding more there...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread