ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For beach, I open up everything above +5 in Ferrous mode and dig everything.
For parks/schools, I open 6 to 9 (until the foil drives me crazy), 13 to 15 (and dig nickel tones), and 35/36 to 39 for Cu coins and silver. If I want to dig interesting things, I also open up the lower 30s.
Woods/fields are wide open in Ferrous.

But always, and I mean ALWAYS, I dig on sound and not on what the display says.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
For beach which is all I do:

Coin and jewelry mode but will dig any interesting or strong breaks in the threshold. Sometimes all metal if it is a treasure beach.

Sensitivity is 18-20 dry sand, 16-18 wet sand and 14-16 black sand

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I'm finding I like my Safari more and more each time I go out. Found an early 1800's Large Cent and a little metal toy pre-1850's at an old homesite a couple of days ago. Also went to a local ballpark a few days before that and found a descent amount of clad in a short hunt consisting of 12 quarters, lots of pennies, and several dimes. Also found a 1780's Tombac flat button in a cornfield several weeks ago.

Modern Park setting - Keep 14-17 open and 33-40 open otherwise notch out everything else. Trash Density set at (High)

Woods/Old Homesite - Hunt in All Metal. Sometimes I leave everything open. If there seems to be a ton of square nails,etc I will notch out all the way up to +10 and keep the rest of the scale open. Trash Density set at (High)

Regardless of hunting spot, I do a noise cancel after any significant change in settings and also about every hour regardless.

Attachments

• little toy.jpg
    little toy.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 115
  • My 1st Large Cent.jpg
    My 1st Large Cent.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 126
  • My 1st Button.jpg
    My 1st Button.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I know what you mean. When I hunt obscure non tourist treasure coast beaches, I run all metal at full sensitivity in dry sand, and am continually amazed at the minuscule scraps of metal my Safari locates. Many times they are so small that they'll actually fall through the holes in my scoop and are found at 8+ inches!

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I know what you mean. When I hunt obscure non tourist treasure coast beaches, I run all metal at full sensitivity in dry sand, and am continually amazed at the minuscule scraps of metal my Safari locates. Many times they are so small that they'll actually fall through the holes in my scoop and are found at 8+ inches!

It is a great machine. Underestimated IMHO. It somehow gets lost between the XTerra 705 and the Etrac due to being right in between considerably different price ranges. I know what ya mean treasurecoasteric, as I have pulled a thumbtack from around 4 1/2" deep. Have also dug about an 1/8th of an inch end of old square nails at a pre 1850's homesite

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes its too good. I have many times spent precious minutes of my life recovering a FLECK of rusted crap.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a very impressive collection of flecks of crap!

Theoretically, if you get enough of them you can recycle them for some ZnLincolns!

Chickenhawk

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2016
Raymore Missouri, Elizabeth Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a new safir user and I'm still learning .with all my research I keep hearing this phrase cross savings??? I'm having trouble understanding this and why. I'm guessing the user is basically moving say coin mode over manually to the ferus side will this not elimante conductive sounds please elabarate. ..also any setting g suggestions would help...

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a new safir user and I'm still learning .with all my research I keep hearing this phrase cross savings??? I'm having trouble understanding this and why. I'm guessing the user is basically moving say coin mode over manually to the ferus side will this not elimante conductive sounds please elabarate. ..also any setting g suggestions would help...

Your correct, I don't like using the cross saving method and this is why. I like keeping the ferrous and conductive sound separate and on there own sides. In the USA you don't have to worry about missing coins because of there sounds, it's what you get use to. Now over the pond it can make a real difference from what I have seen on YouTube. Just take your time and set up your scale the way you like and saving it on the side you like. Hope this helps...

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Personally don't like modifying what the machine was already designed to do. It's like taking a square wheel and trying to make it roll better than a round one. We have to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. If it works and works well, why do we always have to try something else. I personally don't want to hear a conductive feedback tone for a ferrous item and I don't wish to hear a ferrous tone for a conductive item. If I hit crap (iron) it's going to grunt, and if I hit large "good iron target" ex:cannonball, then that Safari is going to squeal like a schoolgirl anyway. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread