Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used the Etrac, but why is everyone saying it's the silver king? I have a hard time telling the difference between wheat pennies and silver dimes on my ctx. Dr. Tones 13 flashing tid works sometimes.
You can run 50 tone CO and definitely hear the difference. In Combined audio you can move the CO number in last box on the right where silver falls to about 44 and split the tones. Hope this helps! Fletch

PS: send me an email in pm and I'll send a program to try.

Last edited:

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
You can run 50 tone CO and definitely hear the difference. In Combined audio you can move the CO number in last box on the right where silver falls to about 44 and split the tones. Hope this helps! Fletch
This is a really good idea! I will def. give it a try. Once I get a high tone above 40 that hits solidly, I am digging it regardless, especially if it's deeper than 3" or so.

Good luck
HH
Robert

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used the Etrac, but why is everyone saying it's the silver king? I have a hard time telling the difference between wheat pennies and silver dimes on my ctx.

Dr. Tones 13 flashing tid works sometimes.

It IS the silver king. The Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector | BigBoysHobbies and the Minelab E-Trac Metal Detector for sale. | BigBoysHobbies are the best in the business for that. It takes a lot of experience to tell the difference. Considering all the variables involved and different alloys it does an excellent job.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the silver king because it pulls more silver than any other detector. Who cares whether is says "silver", as long as it's registering in the coin range you dig it. I have found 10x the silver with my E-Trac than with every other detector I owned combined! I just got a CTX and I hope to improve that a little more. The vast majority of silver dimes read with a CO of 45-46, some read as CO 44, but I've had a few read down around CO 42.

One tip.... when the E-Trac says "silver dollar" (1-40) at 8 inches, you better dig CAREFULLY so you don't scratch that Morgan dollar like I did! oh, and silver dollars tend to be about a couple inches deeper than they indicate because of their size.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the silver king because it pulls more silver than any other detector. Who cares whether is says "silver", as long as it's registering in the coin range you dig it. I have found 10x the silver with my E-Trac than with every other detector I owned combined! I just got a CTX and I hope to improve that a little more. The vast majority of silver dimes read with a CO of 45-46, some read as CO 44, but I've had a few read down around CO 42.

One tip.... when the E-Trac says "silver dollar" (1-40) at 8 inches, you better dig CAREFULLY so you don't scratch that Morgan dollar like I did! oh, and silver dollars tend to be about a couple inches deeper than they indicate because of their size.

When I get a reading above 43 I can usually guess that it is silver, but I have had pennies come in a little high, all copper. I will dig anything in the 12-40 range or higher, but I have gone over the area with other detectors and have found I can miss targets by not digging everything. Best bet is to dig anything consistent and prepare to find a lot of pull tabs, etc.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you explain this? The words don't make sense to me.

There is a Utube video on this. He basically gets a coin reading and while holding the pinpoint button on the CTX he will do a 90 degree turn with the coil, and when the reading changes from a lower reading to a 13 then he knows it is silver under the coil.

I have tried it, but my silver is far in between and I haven't proven it to work, although Dr. Tones has dug a lot of silver and he says it works.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Utube video on this. He basically gets a coin reading and while holding the pinpoint button on the CTX he will do a 90 degree turn with the coil, and when the reading changes from a lower reading to a 13 then he knows it is silver under the coil.

I have tried it, but my silver is far in between and I haven't proven it to work, although Dr. Tones has dug a lot of silver and he says it works.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to file that one away to try some time.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive not dug many silver coins with my CTX simply because I'm usually relic hunting with it. But can tell you there is an audible difference on the Etrac between a silver quarter, a clad quarter, and a large cent (which is what I'm looking for the most) even though each will read 12-46 when running multi-conductive tones. Silver quarter and silver dimes also stand out in your ears - when you hear it you just smile and have fun digging that hole! For the vast majority of the usual coins - dig everything that comes up above about 36 or so on the conductive side (as long as it doesnt have a 34 or 35 FE with it)....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions