Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello,

Can someone tell me if the volume knob on a minelab 1000 should control the volume on water proof headphones? I seem to be only able to control the volume with the discriminate button.

Also I am trying to figure out if I have a problem with my minelab's oscillator. When I use it in the PP mode it seems to work perfect but when I run it in the discriminate mode the pitch of the oscillator changes and gives me false hits . There is no target it just changes on its own making me think I have a hit.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave my volume control virtually all the way up, the discrimination knob all the way off (if the area will allow it without falsing), and adjust the threshold knob as necessary to keep the volume in my headphones in a tolerant range. I had one of my Excaliburs start falsing (oscillating) on me and it ended up being a bad coil. Check with OBN on here for repairs or more advice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the volume control knob controls is the volume of a targets response when coils go over it, the discrimination knob controls the volume in the headset which is the volume of the threshold you hear in the headset....

I keep volume maxed and threshold sounds like small mosquito buzzing in my ear. I use no descrimination....

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the volume control knob controls is the volume of a targets response when coils go over it, the discrimination knob controls the volume in the headset which is the volume of the threshold you hear in the headset.... I keep volume maxed and threshold sounds like small mosquito buzzing in my ear. I use no descrimination.... 3% SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Disc controls volume in headset TH??? I thought on my machine at least that threshold controlled the volume of threshold in headset.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disc controls volume in headset TH??? I thought on my machine at least that threshold controlled the volume of threshold in headset.

Fletch88 your 100% correct, dont know why I typed descrimination as I use no Disc at all..

Brain far while typing.....

3%

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Fletch88 your 100% correct, dont know why I typed descrimination as I use no Disc at all..

Brain far while typing.....

I have that Often....

And the guys nailed it, all they said was 100% on....

I would recommend sending it to Dave or his brother at Kellyco, Minelabs repair, and see what they say, sounds like a coil issue if not EMI.

And this happens in the water? Wetsand?

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I leave my volume control virtually all the way up, the discrimination knob all the way off (if the area will allow it without falsing), and adjust the threshold knob as necessary to keep the volume in my headphones in a tolerant range. I had one of my Excaliburs start falsing (oscillating) on me and it ended up being a bad coil. Check with OBN on here for repairs or more advice.

I just changed to a new 12x10 sef coil. It still is making the tones change and give false hits. I have tried changing the settings but it still does it. Thank you for your reply.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I have that Often....

And the guys nailed it, all they said was 100% on....

I would recommend sending it to Dave or his brother at Kellyco, Minelabs repair, and see what they say, sounds like a coil issue if not EMI.

And this happens in the water? Wetsand?

It happens in wet and dry sand.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN0120.jpg My guess is it is wired wrong......
Had 4 SEF's come in the past few months, all were wire wrong, :BangHead: ....corrected they worked as they should. Three 10 x 12, and One 12 x 15. In PP/AM if you have a blank out of the signal over the middle of the coil, then it is wrong. DD coils are Hot dead center (middle)............ target, dead center, should bark like a dog. Not as noticeable in Discriminate, but coil will act stupid in or near the saltwater, like yours. Have Private vid if your interested, will PM to you for compare.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they are wired properly SEF coils work fantastic. I use to splice the cable as I did not like the splice connectors.

When I met Dave I learned quickly it is far better to hard wire them to control board directly. ....

I love the remote pinpoint mod for reverse pinpoint hunting.... with the pp mod, SEF 12x15 Butterfly coil and the new amphibian headphone excals are as good as any PI in just my personal opinion for anything but thin gold chains although I have found a thin chain I am sure it was because the way it was laying in the wet sand..

It doesn't bother me about losing the thin gold chains as there is little gold there, i have little problem seeing the big gold chains.

I have dug targets over 20 inches with my excals....

3%

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to splice the cable as I did not like the splice connectors.

I remember those, You and MT Pockets....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir, now everything is hard wired yo circuit board.....

Mine never leaked, but splices adds resistance which equals loss of depth which I am sure you already know...

3%

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
View attachment 926605 My guess is it is wired wrong......
Had 4 SEF's come in the past few months, all were wire wrong, :BangHead: ....corrected they worked as they should. Three 10 x 12, and One 12 x 15. In PP/AM if you have a blank out of the signal over the middle of the coil, then it is wrong. DD coils are Hot dead center (middle)............ target, dead center, should bark like a dog. Not as noticeable in Discriminate, but coil will act stupid in or near the saltwater, like yours. Have Private vid if your interested, will PM to you for compare.

I would love to watch the video. Thanks for offering it. How do I get it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions