if the etrac is over rated

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell that to the experienced guys swinging the MXT!

xr please understand that no metal detector made can possibly help you find more gold jewelry because gold jewelry sounds like (or has similar electro magnetic reaction to) can slaw and foil wads and pull tabs and aluminum crap and aluminum bottle caps and aluminum anything and many brass and bronze items and stuff, not to mention lead bullets and other crap. Where's anyone's gold I wonder?

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I went out yesterday with my father in law and this was the first time I hunted with anyone since I got my etrac back in late summer. He is my usual hunting partner but has had some personal matters that has kept him away from detecting so I have been going it alone, but it has been a couple of months for me even since the last time I went out due to the weather and other commitments. I ended up finding a 1918 Mercer and a 1950 wheat. My father in law was using a dfx and he didn't dig as many targets as I did. I can tell you that having a dfx myself and now using the etrac, if my coil passes over a coin, its mine from the surface to about 10 inches. Havent ever dug anything deeper than 10 inches and I didn't hit coins at 10 inches until l got the e trac.

It isn't overrated, just misunderstood.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do add up quickly. Quarters are good to find too. I would rather dig coins than nothing at all. I'm not a cherry picker. I like to dig targets so I would rather get signals on any kind of coinage than wait for that perfect elusive silver signal and dig nothing in the meantime. But, that's just me. Everyone has their own style and goals.

Dan
I relic hunt and really don't want do dig clad. Back to the origanal question if digging clad is you thing there are lighter cheaper and faster detectors that will work just as good, but for the deeper old tougher targets the etrac works great. Sometimes I wonder when people complain about the etrac what type of hunting are they doing. For some reason I think you already knew the answer to your own question above. But the etrac was not designed to find new Canadian clad, but does really well at its intended purpose.

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I ended up buying Andy Sabisch's book and should get that in the mail tomorrow. I also installed Andy's coin programs and modes. I did find an 1880 Indian Head yesterday! Other than junk objects, pennies are the only thing I have been able to find so far. I am also getting used to the etrac and am happy so far. I realized that nickels show up in the 12-13 range, and know I passed over some of those type of readings. One of the things I need more practice getting used to is pinpointing where to dig the hole. I get thrown for a little bit of a loop when there is a nail beside a penny. I am glad I have a huge yard at an old house to dig at before I start precisely retrieving my targets. As a newbie, the etrac definitely isn't over rated, but a pretty cool tool that is very advanced.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my etrac Friday , used it for a bit , but its raining for the next couple days so going over manual . It is well built I just wish they did something with the hand grip, well for me anyway it feels best when I hold it close to the shaft so I have to apple pressure to hand grip to keep from sliding up witch works on your. for arm plus the weight of it on your shoulder seems ifg you had something on your pointing finger you could swing it with a open hand I no you can rest it on the controlled box , but it feels better holding it lower for me any way, but its a great unit so far.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish my dodgy elbow would allow my to swing a Etraq...or any other Minelab :sadsmiley:

SS

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a harness and you can swing a CTX or Etrac all day long.

I have been using harness for over 7 years, want hunt with out it...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My etrac came with one.It Was just something I noticed, which wouldn't be hard to fix and was if it bother any one els or maybe minelabe keeps it like that so it makes you slow down which its ment for and if people swing them to fast They might not get good results which in turn would affect sales .Now I did just buy would so its just a observation and not a knockasation lol. Does that harnest get hot in summer. I'm sure I'll get used to it I was swinging at pro before I got the etrac , I think the etrac is a half a pound heavier.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
In parks and manicured, leveled lawns, I've found that "scrubbing" the ground not only gave me maximum depth and usually kept the coil properly aligned with the surface, but also took a bit of the weight off. The load tends to become lateral rather than vertical due to drag, but lateral loads don't bother my wrist. You want to be as close to the ground as possible anyway, so why not make it carry some of the weight?

But yeah, I'll probably need a harness eventually until I get this wrist fixed.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
In parks and manicured, leveled lawns, I've found that "scrubbing" the ground not only gave me maximum depth and usually kept the coil properly aligned with the surface, but also took a bit of the weight off. The load tends to become lateral rather than vertical due to drag, but lateral loads don't bother my wrist. You want to be as close to the ground as possible anyway, so why not make it carry some of the weight?

I do this too, and it works for me. I can hunt with the etrac for many hours using this technique.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
It's all good.

I have a work-related wrist injury of some sort, so I'm probably not the ideal E-Trac user. The issue here is that with the palm of my hand facing to the side, I can move my hand from side to side without pain, but up and down is a no-no. Supporting the weight of a detector is up-and-down, but dragging it along the ground is side to side. So, I drag the coil. Others may have different results.

Chihene

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
being waterproof is really the only metal detecting advantage the ctx has over the etrac....

Chihene

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Canadians using an Etrac? How does it work on our coinage?

I am not Canadian, but I have found many Canadian coins with the Etrac, my best Canadian is a silver 1880 Canadian dime....the Etrac picks up everybody's silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread