Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't go from the Etrac, but from the AT Pro and it took me about 3 hunts to start feeling like could use the CTX. I regretted it at first, because I couldn't even pinpoint properly. I am definitely digging more good targets then ever outside of any other detector that I have used.

I've had at least 3 "phases" with the CTX where I was able to find more good items, the first was when I went back over the same areas where I had used other detectors. Second when I started using the 6" coil and was able to pick through trash and get closer to the edges of things. Third when after I had used the CTX a few months and got used to the signals, I was able to tweak some of the sounds and settings and find a few more wheats here and there where I had detected hard before. Each time was a little less dramatic on the new finds. I know that detecting multiple areas with the CTX has resulted in the areas being pretty clear, because I have gone back over these areas with the Deus and I have found very little and mostly nothing at all at most spots.

Just recently I started using the "previous program feature" on the CTX and I am able to clear up signals by running them between two programs that I have tweaked. This has helped mostly in keeping me from digging so much trash.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the CTX should be taken in bite sized pieces. Learn what the common coins and jewelry respond like on the screen. Then plug in the CTX to your computer and play with the Xchange2 software. Get used to loading, designing, and saving patterns and modes. Once you've loaded your own program and used it - the machine will make better sense. The last step is to read CTX related posts ... apply what you learn to what you've experienced at the park.

No doubt people probably hope their next detector (especially the expensive ones) are going to somehow differentiate junk and iron from good targets. But the first time out they realize it's the same old story, you've got to dig most targets to be sure. The TID on the CTX is second to none, but it isn't going to tell you a nickel from a pull-tab or jewelry from junk. There are iron targets that jump about and produce varied tones - it just isn't easy to ID targets with any detector.

So, take your time - read, practice, and read some more (then practice some more). Don't give up - if you aren't comfortable with the detector after giving it a fair shake (say after about 200 hours), then by all means sell it and try another. You aren't married to the thing. It's just a tool, like a very expensive hammer.

You should also know that most everybody must go through tough times and experience failures to achieve anything great (which applies to learning a detector as much as anything else in life). There will be many times you'll want to chuck the detector and give up - but the winners are the ones that keep on coming back.

Jackalope

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did come from the Etrac and found the CTX to be very similar only much, much easier to navigate around in controls, and programs. One of the best differences is combined audio, which is the equivalent of 5 tone ferrous if that were available on the Etrac, Also target trace is an awesome feature to see multiple targets under coil. Unless you have highly mineralized soil, leave GB off. And under user button (default is BACKLIGHT) there are some cool things you can do if you select PREVIOUS PROGRAM like going from a standard coin program to a TTF or many other combinations with only one keystroke as compared to several on the Etrac.

Good luck hunting!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread