pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to use the machine after it had been sitting on a shelf for a month or so, and it didn't power up so I figured the batteries were down. I changed to the AA pack with new batteries and charged the other pack, the unit powered up no problem. When I got to the site no response once again, and after taking the battery pack out numerous times the unit finally started working, but shut down also many times before operating all right.
Fast forward ahead the other day I went to use the machine and the same thing happened and now the screen has a black line running 3/4 the way down the screen from the top a little right of the mid-screen. The machine powers down again after detecting for a short time of use. The updates were downloaded after purchasing the machine (6/12) in the fall of 2012.
Just for the record the machine is a locked up area, nobody has touched the machine, and it hasn't been dropped or banged around, so this has me scratching the :icon_scratch:.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Call or email Minelab for an RMA # to send it in for repairs. Battery is only covered for 6 months IF I remember correctly. When you talk to Minelab you will need your serial number so have it ready.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a CTX however I had a very similar problem with a garrett unit this summer and I sent it away for repairs. When it came back the repair slip said "resoldered connection".

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say its time for a factory reset, then I saw the part about the line on the screen. There is only one way to fix that - at a service center. You could try the reset and see if the performance improves... if it does fix everything except the line you could think about living with the screen issue until winter?

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going to say its time for a factory reset, then I saw the part about the line on the screen. There is only one way to fix that - at a service center. You could try the reset and see if the performance improves... if it does fix everything except the line you could think about living with the screen issue until winter?

I thought of factory reset, and to get it to power up long enough now might be the issue. I'm thinking it might be an issue of battery contacts and if a contact cleaner for electronics might work? The line on the screen isn't a issue as I use the ears mostly and the line isn't a huge problem, well maybe it's blocking the clock part which might be a little pain.

cahil_2

Apr 27, 2012
West. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab e-trac,
Garrett Pro pointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator 31 Digger, Minelab pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had to have mine repaired this summer. First it wouldn't turn off and I would have to take the battery pack off to turn it off. Then one day it wouldn't turn on. Sent it in and they replaced the keyboard.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had to have mine repaired this summer. First it wouldn't turn off and I would have to take the battery pack off to turn it off. Then one day it wouldn't turn on. Sent it in and they replaced the keyboard.
Warranty or was it your dime?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab is good about taking care of any problems like described under warranty. I would give them a ring.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The line on the screen is generally a bad display. LCD starts to leak through the crack and will eventually put a blob permanently on the screen. Minelab has been great fixing these under warranty.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

Here's a dumb question as by the time I get in from fixing broken things the day is spent-what's the warranty period on the CTX? I remember the dealer giving me a key chain/token thing that said it was for the extended period of time-or was that for another machine I'm thinking now?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions