terra 705 gold, reading 46 on quarters? Was 42?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, is there soil involved in the "bench test"? If it's a GB issue how will a air test show this? I included a typed letter asking/close to begging the techs to call me. I didn't hear a word. I called and the receptionist said the board was replaced. There was no repair order in the box.
Let's elaborate a little further, if readers haven't found gold, they won't know the importance of the Xterra repeating on targets. The Xterra 705 has many tricks not in Randy hortons book such as the gold coil will stick on a nickel pick a # but jumps +-2 on modern pull tabs as one side is larger/more metal. Also, if there's not a problem with the machine WHY has it had 2 coils and a PCB replacement... I use the machine everyday. I know it better than most. I don't understand how a machine than can't repeat on a nickel 1-3" down is considered working.
The machine will NOT repeat on anything. It used to. I bought a NEW one because they are good machines when working properly. If you can't understand the importance of a machine that repeats a signal then read a beginners detecting book buffalo bob. And the question about the #s was asked to see if there was a problem. It was answered by davespan. You fellas are having a hard time grasping the problems because you don't understand the machine as well as I do. Or you haven't found 30 plus gold rings this year. If there's a problem with me stating Facts address it on your end. I've got over near $2000 in the machine and coils alone, and being told it can't repeat on a nickel 2" down? That's minelabs Xterra series in a nutshell? NO it's not. It easily hits them at 6" repeatable. Well it did before I suddenly forgot how to use it.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice a pattern? I do but since I use my machine Everyday, yes, Christmas too I'm confident enough to not be told I'm losing my mind, I'm also confident enough in the Xterras abilities I BOUGHT Another. It sucks that I'm still under warranty and had to buy another but I can't afford to keep sending my tool off to be fixed. Now I can.
Im not quite sure why the Minelab funded guys think I'm bashing. I'm not, I just want the machine to Repeat on a signal. How could I possibly use a notch feature (I run AM but not the point) when nothing repeats? How can I seperate can slaw from a nickel if both jump around? Use 99 tones and the Beep and dig method? I'm sure I can find more machines doing the same thing these 3 are. Please just fix them, that's all, great machines great service you're the best, nobody beats a Minelab etc.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And for the record, I personally think Kellyco does fine repairs. This machine was NEW sent to Minelab and sent back with a paper stating "the cooling cracks are ok" They ranged from 1/32nd to 3/16 deep. For buffalo bob since he may not understand the problem here either, when at the ocean, the water is mineralized AKA salt water, so when the machines coil would get dunked it now had mineralization trapped between the cover and coil AKA water. This isn't good when you switch to detecting the dry towel line as the machine is fighting against the trapped water/sand and any other debris that may have collected possibly and most likely reducing depth. KellyCo and Nadia agreed the coil was bad but it passed QC, a bench test and an RMA to Minelab. I guess people make mistakes. 2 RMAs later it was fixed. Yeehaw.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...i-please-take-look-my-coil-looks-cracked.html

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a 705 but have a 305 and 505-my 505 hits quarters on 42, 305 quarters on 40, haven't had any problems with either machine and would recommend on in good conscious. the numbers are different I think due to one having less number scale to read. the 705 has a greater scale than the 505 so maybe its normal now. anyway I hunt by the solid tones mostly using all metal and 99 tones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back strap your original post says nothing about it not repeating on targets, you said quarters use to be 42/44 and now are 46/44, it implies repeatable signals

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was NOT my "original" question nor post on this machine, it's just the first one you saw. You Assumed it was. There's other threads on the machine. After the board was replaced the IDs changed, that's fine if it's consistent but the ID question was only a diagnostic question on my end. I don't build detectors, I just use the Xterra everyday. It was a simple question to help figure out if there was a problem. I really didn't feel the need to explain why I asked. I thought I was asking other non affiliated metal detecting men and women not Minelab employees, Please by all means read the other older post. This is NOT the only one. I can't post pictures yet my PC is being reformatted but when I can I'll post the Typed letter I attached to the RMA asking for a phone call. The machine does so many odd things I could write 2-3 pages on it. So I stated it would Not repeat on anything on the ground air test are perfectly fine and a few more problems but summarized that a phone call would be best. If you need to know more PM me and we can have a phone conversation so I can further explain the machine. How do you like that Excal coil? I spent $6000 on Minelab equipment this year and can't repeat on a nickel 2" down. How would you feel?

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moving along, the new 705 will be here soon and the gold pile will continue to grow. It's a magnet to gold as the Etrac is to silver. Thanks for producing a great gold machine Minelab! If it's not obvious I don't pay much attention to these post. Once the Minelab financed guys get involved they tend to go down hill. This post has obviously went negative when there was no need. GL happy hunting. It's a golden day!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was NOT my "original" question nor post on this machine, it's just the first one you saw. You Assumed it was. There's other threads on the machine. After the board was replaced the IDs changed, that's fine if it's consistent but the ID question was only a diagnostic question on my end. I don't build detectors, I just use the Xterra everyday. It was a simple question to help figure out if there was a problem. I really didn't feel the need to explain why I asked. I thought I was asking other non affiliated metal detecting men and women not Minelab employees, Please by all means read the other older post. This is NOT the only one. I can't post pictures yet my PC is being reformatted but when I can I'll post the Typed letter I attached to the RMA asking for a phone call. The machine does so many odd things I could write 2-3 pages on it. So I stated it would Not repeat on anything on the ground air test are perfectly fine and a few more problems but summarized that a phone call would be best. If you need to know more PM me and we can have a phone conversation so I can further explain the machine. How do you like that Excal coil? I spent $6000 on Minelab equipment this year and can't repeat on a nickel 2" down. How would you feel?

I am NOT assuming anything, it is the original opening post on this thread which is the one Dave of Kellyco repair replied to and the one we are talking about. If you couldn't get repeatable signals why didn't you say so in opening post...

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I link My ORIGINAL post stating it didn't repeat? I'm not sure of the importance of you backing up Dave but you and the other Minelab employees tried to tag team this as a user error when I showed 2 other machines doing the same thing. This post was made simply for ONE reason, to find out if other Xterra owners have clad quarters hit at 44-46 using the stock gold coil. That's all, nothing more. The post are dated. Can you please elaborate the importance of you referencing "Dave" I'm really confused over that. Can you or Dave elaborate on why 3 machines are doing the same erratic behaviors and you assume it's "user error" I'm really confused here. +4 ID is HUGE when you jewelry hunt. These aren't analog sound machines. They are new technology. Having said all this, can you please answer 1 question for me? What is your interest in this post. You haven't helped me so what is your "goal". Thanks. Have a good day. Hopefully you don't wake up tomorrow and suddenly forget how to metal detect as other 705 users have done.
Going back and forth trying to point fingers is meaningless as I have the paper I sent to Kellyco still stapled together stating it would NOT repeat and asking them for a phone call, had I known there were so many Minelab employees in here, Yes, I would have detailed my questions here a little further knowing you are fixing my machine. Or maybe you aren't I have no idea.
But, there's 2 other guys having the same issues maybe you and the fellas can team up on them for a while.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I link My ORIGINAL post stating it didn't repeat? I'm not sure of the importance of you backing up Dave but you and the other Minelab employees tried to tag team this as a user error when I showed 2 other machines doing the same thing. This post was made simply for ONE reason, to find out if other Xterra owners have clad quarters hit at 44-46 using the stock gold coil. That's all, nothing more. The post are dated. Can you please elaborate the importance of you referencing "Dave" I'm really confused over that. Can you or Dave elaborate on why 3 machines are doing the same erratic behaviors and you assume it's "user error" I'm really confused here. +4 ID is HUGE when you jewelry hunt. These aren't analog sound machines. They are new technology. Having said all this, can you please answer 1 question for me? What is your interest in this post. You haven't helped me so what is your "goal". Thanks. Have a good day. Hopefully you don't wake up tomorrow and suddenly forget how to metal detect as other 705 users have done.
Going back and forth trying to point fingers is meaningless as I have the paper I sent to Kellyco still stapled together stating it would NOT repeat and asking them for a phone call, had I known there were so many Minelab employees in here, Yes, I would have detailed my questions here a little further knowing you are fixing my machine. Or maybe you aren't I have no idea.
But, there's 2 other guys having the same issues maybe you and the fellas can team up on them for a while.

Back strap, my comment is based on issues stated in THIS thread, Dave of Kellyco repair replied to issues in THIS thread and no where have I said it is user error..

I am a TreasureNet mod, I am not a Minelab repair tech, I simply forwarded this thread to Kellyco repair so they could address it for you...

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Treasure Hunter. My PC is fixed so I can actually spend a second writing instead of using my phone...
I wanted to clear up some things, I never intended this to be negative, it was just a diagnostic question turned bad, partly because I was short with my replies and partly because this thread didnt have all the info for everyone. Nadia at Minelab has been nothing but exceptional at helping me with all the RMA's, at points I was frustrated. 3 RMA's on the 705 all resulting on parts replaced (something is wrong with it) 2 on the new Excal II with a rare factory defect nobody had seen. I believe in minelabs products enough to have spent $5000 with them in the last 13 months and assist 2 of my friends in buying the 705 as well as a soon to be purchase by my brother. After receiving my new 705 Gold today Ill be sending the mentioned one back for the RMA I have had waiting but havent sent until the new 705 arrived. Some guys on here have seen some of what Ive managed to find in a city with a club that has 80 members alone. A total of a little over 5oz of mostly 14k gold. The Xterra is an exceptional jewelry and coin machine. I hope my short post and sometimes brash post didnt offend anyone as my focus has just been on getting the machine back to stable.
After playing with the new and old side by side today it has issues and I will say, hunting everyday puts a lot more use in a year than a guy casually hobby hunting, I need to keep this in mind and hopefully others understand while I take care of my tool, I simply put a ton of use on it. In closing Thank you Minelab for acting fast with RMA's and thank you KellyCo for fixing my Excal. Ill PM Dave a picture of my letter to Dave and maybe he can let me know why I never received any communication. Thanks to all that have tried to help but I think its time this thread dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread