terra 705 gold, reading 46 on quarters? Was 42?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still under warranty. So send it back, and tell them to either fix it right or send you a new one.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks long hair, just to make sure I haven't lost my mind I went back to diggers book and my old GOD's matched his. When the coil returns ill call Nadia. She has been exceptional at her job ill add. I'm wondering if the updated NEL coil blockage is possibly not mating properly, who knows. Ill update when I get the coil back.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can guys confirm from 1-3" their 705 golds ID as follows.
Nickel 12 solid
Zink 30-32
Copper penny 38
Dime 40
Quarter 42
This is not an everything ID sometimes they bounce a little but I'm getting solid 46 quarter bouncing 44,42
Coppers are 34,36,38,40,42
Dimes about the same. Nickels bounce from 8-18 these are actual in ground hunt VIDs auto ground, auto noise, sense 24. Can someone please tell me their ID's with The stock gold coil, this machine used the be so accurate it would pick up the large side of a pull tab in The 1-2" range and bounce the bigger side +2. I've been calling Minelab all morning left a message and emailed.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are my ID tests on my 705...
Steel Cent -6
Gold Tooth Crown 10
Clad Nickle 14
Clad Cent 32
Copper Cent 36
Clad Dime 40
Clad Quarters 44
Liberty Dollar Coins 44
Silver Quarters 46
Kennedy Half 46
Eisenhower Dollars 48
Silver Dollars 48

Other Common Finds
Small Girls Gold-Colored Bracelet 4
Gold Fillagree Bracelet 6
Silver 800 Ladies Pin 24
10K GF Wittnauer Ladies Watch complete 26
Italian 938 Silver Chain 28

Hmmm I have read that sun spots as well as the earths new axis may cause flucuations? Magnetic..
These were air tested on my HF coil. I used the strongest signal to get started.
BB
Clad qtr 44.jpg

Last edited:

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks long hair, just to make sure I haven't lost my mind I went back to diggers book and my old GOD's matched his. When the coil returns ill call Nadia. She has been exceptional at her job ill add. I'm wondering if the updated NEL coil blockage is possibly not mating properly, who knows. Ill update when I get the coil back.

I believe the earth has changed or moved? Magnetic North is closer to Russia? Whatever happened govt isn't telling us if that would matter. I TRUST my 705 better than Govt.. just sayin.
BB

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, I got a call from a Minelab tech today who first tried to insult my Proffesion, I detect 365 days a year, even on Xmas, I asked him if he wanted me to send copies of my refinery pay outs. I'm not getting rich but right now my situation (no daycare for my son) I detect 6-12hrs a day. I also had 4 Xterra 705s Sunday at a club hunt and 2 minelab dealers all agree the machine was "off" after offering pics of assay receipts and letting him know it's my JOB not hobby he took things a little more understanding instead of brushing me off as 1st day detector issues, offered to pay shipping and vowed to get it fixed.
BB, I will be contacting Randy Horton to inform him he's a liar who publishes FALSE statements. If you get to page 5 of his book, you'll see slots minelab has designated for Coins. Of course any guy who detects for a living knows they can vary do to GB-mineralization in the ground but a 3" nickel in a park I've hunted no less than 50 times should still be a solid 12 or 14, not bounce 10, 12,14,16 an xterra that doesn't repeat is useless.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've talked to 3 techs. None of them detect. I won't tell them how to do their job, I expect the same courtesy.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, I will be contacting Randy Horton to inform him he's a liar who publishes FALSE statements. If you get to page 5 of his book, you'll see slots minelab has designated for Coins.
?????? Why would you call Randy a Liar? Page five of his book is the X-Terra production timeline.
If you're talking about what's on pages 30-31, you might want to notice the asterisk on nickels, and go to page 32 to see the explanation next to the asterisk.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've talked to 3 techs. None of them detect. I won't tell them how to do their job, I expect the same courtesy.

I look at numbers only to get an idea of what the target may be, I just don't entirely trust them on any detector. I use the TONES to really decide what to dig. That being said, your 705 should still be in the ballpark with ID#s at least, so I understand your frustration. I doubt Randy is intentionally lying in his book though, this is the first accusation I have heard. I know with my 18.75 6" DD coil, the copper & higher numbers are a slot higher than with my 10.5" 7.5 DD.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can discuss the book and its information and say it is incorrect and explain why.. I would hesitate to call some one a liar who is not on here and can not defend themselves. I can understand the frustration but there are better ways to handle it then calling some one out.
That is not acceptable behavior here. Keep it civil or do not post.
Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was being sarcastic to Bob. As I have stated several times ground minerals will bump ID's long hair, but if one is 12 on nickels, it should stay 12, not have an 8 notch swing, 12,8,10,18, even some 20s same nickel same swing. I may go to another location or 50' over and nickels are solid 14s, pulls tabs moved up 1 notch to 16. I've hunted everyday this last year with this machine, even Xmas day, until you hunt 60 consecutive days, I'll choose my experience over theory. The page was intentionally said as 5 to see if "Bob" would catch it, he didn't. if I didn't know The machine, I wouldn't know it was messed up. When I say "rings" etc, I talk gold, silver and costume isn't counted, I know things about gold jewelry nobody has yet posted or wrote about on the xtetra. For example, the 18.75 gold coil will jump plus 2 on pull tabs. Because one side is larger within 1-2" when swinging length wise. How many thousands of hours do I need on ONE single machine to know when it's broke? I know you have a job to do but do you even own an Xterra?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be ultra clear, I was being sarcastic about Bob's comment IMPLYING Randys book was incorrect. = sarcasm. I happen to think Randy did such a great job on the book it's an insult to say otherwise as Bob did. The book doesn't say "US Nickel 8,10,12,14,18,20 it says 12 which I consider accurate and true.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, I missed your earlier ID's.What kind of "I'd test" as the tech at minelab told me, you can't air test or drop coins on the ground. Your Zink is 32? Must be nice my Zink I'D is 24-34 copper pennies 34-42,44 on a good day my zinks will be 30-32. It must be really really nice to have consistant id's. Wanna trade machines? I have a 4 day old coil, new lower rod, New board. The machine is used but new insides. I'd add $150 to the deal.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be ultra clear, I was being sarcastic about Bob's comment IMPLYING Randys book was incorrect. = sarcasm. I happen to think Randy did such a great job on the book it's an insult to say otherwise as Bob did. The book doesn't say "US Nickel 8,10,12,14,18,20 it says 12 which I consider accurate and true.

Backstrap, my numbers on nickels were similarly bouncy (12 & 2 above, 2 below), but that was only with the stock 7.5 khz coil. With the 6" 18.75, I get (usually) no more than 2 numbers on nickels. So with my 505 & 18.75 khz coil, I get 12-15 on nickels. Pulltabs will generally bounce up to 18 with a 21 in there sometimes. What I noticed is the higher numbers (coppers, dimes & up) seem bouncier with the HF coil as opposed to the MF coil. Hope you get it figured out. They are good machines, (as you know) and are generally very reliable. I bought my X-Terra 505 used 2 years ago & have had zero problems. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the stock 7.5, 10.5" DD, 6" 18.75,15" coiltech 18.75, stock elliptical 18.75 and the digger. I had the same results as you but found an edge with the stock gold coil, it was* extremely accurate to 5" rarely did anything bounce. If a field was showing nickels at 14 it stayed 14 left swing right swing. Now that same field same coil nickels bounce +6-6. I think it's funny the passion these 2 have telling me I'm wrong when it's my JOB, it's not a hobby, it's not even fun anymore lol. I have to find gold every week. I have only my family and income to worry about. Notice the similar passion "a new 705 owner has" and longhair, it seems to me all 3 of us have money involved. I never bashed minelab, I told the TRUTH about what correspondence I've had. I even left out the negative things and still will. All I care about is getting my machine to repeat. 42,44 on clad, sure, 46? No. Nickels bouncing +-6 NO. A new 705 owner telling me how my tool works he has a few days experience with, NO.
I'm confident enough in my skills and knowledge of this machine to tell some trolls NO. I had 3 of my friends buy this exact detector because they find gold! When they are working properly.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll also add, even jumping I still found 11grams of 14k from Saturday-Monday, I'm on my second park of the day.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just scored a small I'd bracelet. 10k boo.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I'll share an xterra secret. For rubber tot lots, auto ground will push the under nickel "foil" sized targets to iron. Dig everything. The closer you get to the target the better it Will sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread