E-Trac for a year now...getting a handle ?

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the e-trac for about a year now, but the truth be told I did get into a 3030 for a month or two and just could handle it, so I went back to the e-trac and found by keeping it simple and easy, it worked for me, I started out like everybody else, trying settings and programs...after going thou all that, I started to see where all the coins and odd things would fall as far as numbers and where the curser would fall and the tones I was hearing, I started building my own pattern and I went with the 4 tone co. on my tones, and that has worked for me to...for the last month it has been a joy to pick the e-trac up and just go metal detecting with out worrying if that or this is set right, my pattern is pretty open and with the 4 tone co. the only thing I look at know is the conductive numbers on the screen, there always pretty stable, may vary some but if sounds good and the right number pops in and out I dig it, and the e-trac well do that on coins at depths below 5 inchs....the fer, numbers I don't pay much attention to. After using the 4 tones for awhile its pretty easy to tell whats under the coil and what sound grabs you and tells you hey you better check this out. For me the multi tone co. is just a head ache waiting to happen. I guess my question is..am I missing anything by using 4 tone co.??

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4 tones with tone hold works great for me, having to much blacked out is what can cause you to miss some good items, but then you dig less trash. Jewelry really can read almost anywhere on the conductive scale. It really all depends on how much trash you can tolerate digging.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't care for 4TC because the med-high and high tones also sound for iron - unless you add lots of Disc to keep the area from alerting. In other words, you use too much Disc which causes a loss of sensitivity.

With TTF at least the 18-35Fe zone is Low Tone - and you can keep you focus on the High Tones. If you aren't after low conductors like thin rings, nickels, jewelry and don't want to hear trash giving a High Tone - then Disc out the 01-21Co zone below 18Fe. Then you'll just get a coin High Tone (if in iron nails you'll need some Disc in the upper-right to keep iron quiet).

With 4TF you may be bothered by the 18-30 Med-Low tone, but if your ears can handle that, then you can add Disc in the 01-17Fe area to 21Co. All Med-High to High Tones will be something worth investigating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions