Excalibur and WOT-----issues

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
I had an "old-style" WOT hard wired to my excalibur II for a few years, then it went bad. I ordered a new WOT (spring 2015) and when I tested it the noise was erratic---still looking into this. I had a beach trip coming so I panicked and bought a brand new excalibur and a brand new WOT (I know that I voided the warranty doing this). I had excalibur Dave hard wire this new WOT to my new machine. While at the beach I can only hunt at sens 2 ---above that the chatter is deafening. If I lay the coil on wet sand at sens 1---the chatter is the same. I can hunt if I leave it at 2 and do not touch the sand at all. If I bump the sand the machine goes crazy----kind of like the coil is too sensitive. I could run the sens at 8 with the old style WOT with no issues. I have heard others have the same issue. Love the WOT but will switch to a NEL if need be. Any comments welcome. Thanks, Joel

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who did the mod on your excal, don't recognized Excalibur Dave name. If mod was done by Kellyco send it back they will fix issue and your excal warranty is still good, they are authorized Minelab repair center.

If it was done by someone else still need to still have it checked, either by them or Kellyco.... It isn't the coil....

Did you get your first excal fixed.....?

OP
OP
J

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Having issues with 2 Excalibur II s . The one is only erratic in salt water---the wetter the sand the more chatter. I took that one out today in the woods and it was fine. The other was chattering all the time. OBN said it was a bad coil so I had him do this one. He said it tested good in the bay but when I tried it here at home---all chatter. I contacted Coiltek and they suggested sending it or both to Kellyco. They said that the coil would be replaced. Does Kellyco do the mods for the Excaliburs? BTW--Excalibur Dave is out of Boca Raton and does a lot of mods on that unit. I am probably just going to spend the $$$ and get a factory authorized tech do go over everything. Your thoughts?? Thanks, Joel

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joel, Kellyco is an authorized repair center for Minelab, 1st Texas, Nokta, Coiltec and Aqua Scan/Aqua Pulse. Kellyco also does the excal mods. The lead tech is a retired Naval Aviation Maintenance Officer, the other is a retired NASA Shuttle Maintenance tech, to say they are qualified to work on detectors is an understatement..

I highly recommend them..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it chatter in both discrimination and pin point? Mine "talks" a bit sometimes in discrimination but is nice and quiet/stable in pin point (which is where you should be hunting anyway). I have mine set up to run full blast. Discrimination at 1, sensitivity all the way up, volume all the way up, and the threshold as high as I can comfortably stand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joel, where are you running sensitive at? I hope it isn't auto....

OP
OP
J

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Explain to me the "field of detection" on all metal vs. disc. . I was always under the assumption that you lose depth and width in all metal. Thanks

OP
OP
J

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Sensitivity could not be above 2 due to constant falseing. Even at 2 it would occasionally false. The person who installed the coil said that black sand could be the culprit, but why would it only false in the wet sand. The wetter the sand the more falseing and vice-versa. The beach was replenished but black sand was not really noticeable. It was not on auto.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is doing it in wet sand it sounds like a coil or wiring issue..

Where are you at?

OP
OP
J

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
I hunted in Ocean City MD last week. I am at home now in York, Pa.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Brother JoeB if it were me I would get rid of the Big coil and go with the stock 10, hunt in Almetal only and toggle as needed. I pulled my 6th Gold from OC last night with the 8... you really don't need the big coils when the water is ruff. My 8 and 10 false if I have them set past 7 at OC, even bumping the sand they go off if set lower just like yours and this is AM. I am thinking maybe Coiltech has changed the WOT coils some where between your first and now. This is your second machine to have this issue, so I am going with the coiltech has changed something. And if you call them they will say they did not but all they have to do is change venders on the little board inside of the coil and it can change the way the coil reacts in different locations. Good Luck..Joe

OP
OP
J

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Thanks Joe---Sorry I missed you last week. Some older coins finally surfaced between 10th and 11th at low tide on Friday. Going to try and do a short trip sometime this summer. Keep cool-----Regards, Joel

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter,

NASA Shuttle Maintenance tech

The second guy didn't leave NASA right after the Challenger or Columbia Crashes did he? HAHAHA

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter,

The second guy didn't leave NASA right after the Challenger or Columbia Crashes did he? HAHAHA

Mike
No, LOL he retired when they retired the Shuttle program... Barry is real good...... He does all the mods on my detectors..

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, LOL he retired when they retired the Shuttle program... Barry is real good...... He does all the mods on my detectors..

HAHAHA As long as he wasn't the guy that was responsible for gluing the Heat Shield Tiles on the Challenger or the O-Ring Guy on the Columbia booster rockets, I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief!

I also do my own Excal Mods. The biggest issues with doing the WOT Coil Conversion are making certain the wiring is right and soldered correctly, and WATERPROOFING the connection. Even though the connectors are waterproof, after I solder everything in place, I fill the connector with silicone, and tape over the entire thing with Silicone Waterproof Self-Fusing Tape:

tape.jpg

Mike

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Explain to me the "field of detection" on all metal vs. disc. . I was always under the assumption that you lose depth and width in all metal. Thanks
With the Excalibur, I get at least 2 more inches in depth running it in pin point over discrimination.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like cuda says, I get more depth. I sometimes see targets in all metal that I don't see in discrimination till I remove some sand...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Joel. Do you use a coil cover on the WOT?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's wrong with auto?
I get better depth in manual than I do in auto, it also runs smoother and more stable. I adjust sensitivity till it is stable then bump it just a hair hotter..... I rarely ever hunt in auto....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions