New to the Explorer SE...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually the first Minelab i have ever used....I have had Fishers, Whites, Garretts and Tesoro's, but this is a whole new experience for me. I only have a few hours in on this machine and i have alot of learning to do; but i already like this detector. I found 20 coins yesterday in a yard that i have hunted for hours with a couple different machines! And awesome depth to boot! I have owned two descent, deep coin machines: the F75ltd and the CZ-3d....but both of these would give you deep nails when going after the deep coins. So far, i have yet to dig a nail with this Explorer. Thought it had found a nail yesterday until i double checked and out popped a 44' wheatie that was beside the nail.

Right now i am running the 10.5" slimline coil and it seems pretty good for most applications. Can anyone recommend a smaller coil for trashier spots? I know some people like the Coiltek coils....just wondering. Also, any tips or tricks on this machine woould be appreciated.

Thanks.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually any coils are better than the "Slimline". Seriously!
My SE came with that coil. I took it off when I got another option and it hasn't been back on since.

For a small coil, I would recommend (in no particular order) the Coiltek 6", Sun Ray X-5, or the original Explorer 8".

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is the pro coil like on the Etrac worth the money?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 5X10 Coiltek Joey coil for trashy areas too. Better coverage than the smaller round coils but still gets you some separation.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions. Small coils are a must in trashy spots... Everyone should have one! My favorite is the X5 Sunray, it's simply awesome.

The Slimline coil may have been good in its day... But has been surpassed by not only the pro coil but a few others too.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Excelerator EQ 2, Think it's 4 or 5 inch. Works great in trashy areas.

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for addon coils....
For the small one take Coiltek Joe,
For everyday usage get SEF 10"x12" ,
For Deeper targets get Coiltek WOT (new spider style is much better).

For the pinpointer get the one from Garret.

So after you get all the mentioned accessories you have the best available package for Minelab SE and you will be able to get maximum out of your Machine and that is quite much! Minelab SE can compete with many high end machines, even with etrac and CTX if you MASTER your equipment!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread