Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been an Etrac user for quite some time now and love the machine. I'm considering buying a used CTX 3030. Is there anything I should keep my eyes open for when purchasing a used one? Like are the older models different in any way from the newer ones? Did they upgrade anything I should know about on newer models? I know Minelab won't transfer warranties or let you purchase a warranty which is a bummer but hey I'm still in.

TIA - Brian

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first few months of production you could purchase a CTX without he wireless.... Of course it would be obvious if that was missing. Somewhere around the end of the first year they added a seawater setting to help in salt water conditions... Most older machines were upgraded to include this via a firmware update. Other than those details, not much else has changed.

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info. Thanks. As long as I can upgrade the firmware I have no issues as I do hunt salt now and then. Not a lot but maybe twice a year.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Minelab won't transfer warranties or let you purchase a warranty which is a bummer but hey I'm still in.

TIA - Brian

Minelab's warranty is transferable. I bought mine used and had no issues when the wireless unit failed.

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know that? This guys I'm looking into is the first years and he wants 1500.00. I think that's fair.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a good price... And yes the warranty is transferable now. :)

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a used ($1500) CTX That Looks Like New In The Box with 30 months warranty still remaining.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
You will find the ctx light years ahead of the Etrac for processor speed and target separation, the build quality is very nice also, large diameter carbon shafts hold rigid even with 17" coil mounted.
I remember when they were first released I thought bells and whistles for those with money to burn, now on the occasion I go out with my older minelabs I am reminded how much better the ctx really is.
Best wishes n HH, Herbie.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be sure you call Minelab with the serial number of the detector and coil before you buy a used one. There are a lot of fake 3030's being sold and they look just like the real ones... Go to Minelab's website and read the part about counterfeit ones...

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
There has been some recent updates :

New down shaft locking, prevents problems when using CTX17 coil and detecting underwater (sand and salwater)
Pinpointer mode has a longer latching timer

With a warranty it's perfect ;-)

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just go new. Get the full warranty. I would not take it in the rain without reading frogs other thread on waterproofing the machine. With no update for the machines hardware anywhere on the horizon I say it will still hold its used value. Who knows. The stock gasket just does not do it. Still a great machine. gl -Joe

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Just go new. Get the full warranty. I would not take it in the rain without reading frogs other thread on waterproofing the machine. With no update for the machines hardware anywhere on the horizon I say it will still hold its used value. Who knows. The stock gasket just does not do it. Still a great machine. gl -Joe

Thanks! :occasion14: Just back from a little hunt with my buddy

516665frogmasterctx3030diver2.jpg

481201frogmasterctx2.jpg

505518ctx30302.jpg

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got a great deal from a person on Tnet and went with anew machine. Only one short hunt so far but found some old wheats and an a 1700's cash coin so I'm happy. Coming from an Etrac it's still a tad different so I look forward to learning a newer machine.

Thx- Brian

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and already had the O rings ordered ahead of time for your mods Frog ;)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post I'm Wanting One.
Davers

bakatz

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn... You must hurt scuba divers feelings when they have to go up for refills....I have a AP Evo+ with a JW fisher...hitting the calm
Sands this coming April.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up a used ($1500) CTX That Looks Like New In The Box with 30 months warranty still remaining.

Its sad you say an CTX is "light-years ahead of an Etrac.... they both are not even in the same league as an F75 for speed....

Last edited:

bakatz

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned a CTX... Thought it was pretty horrible... Have an XP and a Nexus... GPX 5000 and JW Fisher, as well as a Garrett AT Pro. I had the AT Pro tuned so it would OutHunt my CTX in the creeks. Not bad for bang for your buck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread