cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two 15" WOT coils, on two different machines (E-trac and Excalibur), fail on the same day! The E-trac version was working perfectly the day before, but, on the next hunt, wouldn't detect a coin laying on top of the ground. It would sound off if I waved my scoop over it, but not a peep with a coin. WTF? The Excal WOT, from the moment I fired up the machine, would give a constant, rhythmic, pulsating sound, even with the coil held up in the air. It would still hit on a target, but, it was hard to tell a target from a random pulse. I retested both today by changing to a different coil, and both machines are working fine, so, it's definitely the coils that are the problem. Can they be fixed or do I have to bite the bullet and get new ones. Neither are within warranty, at least I don't think so. I believe they're both at least 2 years old. Still, they should last longer than that, shouldn't they?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man than sucks. 2 in one day has to be a record. If it's a bad at the connector you can replace it. If it's a bad cable and you can find the broken wire you can re-solder and heat shrink it. But if it's the coil it's toast.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
The coil wire is usually the weak link. Wire usually breaks at or near where it goes into the coil / strain relief or at the connector at the control head of the machine. They can sometimes be repaired but the one at the coil is harder to do.

Also check for cracks in the covering. If water or moisture gets inside, causes all kinds of odd stuff.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those coils have a two year warranty, and considering the cost of them....I wouldn't dream of attempting a repair.
Send them back! Trevor is really good about customer service.

I'd have to double check, but I don't think that the FBS WOT has been available long enough to be out of warranty.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why i never buy after market coils ... If the detector i have has coils made by them i will buy those coils .. But never a after mkt .coil goes on my detectors..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek made ALL of Minelab's coils before Minelab started making them in-house. Excal comes with 1 year warranty which includes the coil so CoilTek's warranty of 2 year is twice as long as the Excal coil warranty..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
on a Quattro i got last year it came with a CoilTek coil and it was loose on bottom i had to put in spacers or plastic washers to make it fit tight so i could use it with out my coil flopping back and forth...

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Contact Trevor at Coil-Tek. They are having issues with the WOT coil right now

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the earlier, 2 spoke WOTs, not the new type.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek makes A+ grade coils.... its rare to hear of one having a problem, let alone two on the same day..

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out my Excal WOT is still in warranty but I can't get a response from Coiltek yet. From what I'm hearing about the newer versions, I'm not sure I want one of those! I wonder if they have found the problem and are coming out with a "new and improved" version.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still haven't heard from Coiltek yet, but, I did talk to the service center at Kellyco. They told me they will warranty the coil if it's within the two year period. The catch is, it has to have the serial number sticker to prove it. Well, you an I both know those stickers come loose after a dozen hunts in the ocean. I remember having one come loose and removing it. I just can't remember if I saved it or not. Pretty bad design if you ask me. Why not brand the number right into the plastic? Well, off to look for the stupid sticker......sheesh.....:censored:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is ridiculous. I just got a 6" Coiltek and the sticker was half hanging off when I pulled it out of the box. Good info to know. Seems companies will try anything to save a buck today.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still haven't heard from Coiltek yet, but, I did talk to the service center at Kellyco. They told me they will warranty the coil if it's within the two year period. The catch is, it has to have the serial number sticker to prove it. Well, you an I both know those stickers come loose after a dozen hunts in the ocean. I remember having one come loose and removing it. I just can't remember if I saved it or not. Pretty bad design if you ask me. Why not brand the number right into the plastic? Well, off to look for the stupid sticker......sheesh.....:censored:
They will also accept your sales receipt as proof, even with out the serial #label on the coil...

Take a picture of your sales receipt and email it to Kellyco...

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not what Kellyco says. They say you need the sticker so they can look it up and see how old it is. My argument is that it could have been new old stock and stored on the shelf for years before I bought it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not what Kellyco says. They say you need the sticker so they can look it up and see how old it is. My argument is that it could have been new old stock and stored on the shelf for years before I bought it.

Cuda, I am close friends with Kellyco management and my hunting partner is in charge of the repair center, I am telling you it will work because I talked to them... Your choice if you choose to take my advice.

It doesn't matter if coil sat on shelf for 5 years warranty starts on the day it is sold.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Coiltek makes A+ grade coils.... its rare to hear of one having a problem, let alone two on the same day..
Well mine never fit right with out some washers it was way to big for the coil hook up .. But who knows it could have been a knock off but i do not think so it worked fine..

Last edited:
OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They indicated that you couldn't match a particular coil to a particular invoice without the sticker. All well and good to have a receipt with date, price, serial number, etc, but, if there's no numbers on the coil to confirm the coil is matched to the invoice, I see them wriggling out of a replacement. Lesson learned I guess. I'll try someone else's coil and see how they do. I'll be sure to keep any and all info that comes with it, that's for sure!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They indicated that you couldn't match a particular coil to a particular invoice without the sticker. All well and good to have a receipt with date, price, serial number, etc, but, if there's no numbers on the coil to confirm the coil is matched to the invoice, I see them wriggling out of a replacement. Lesson learned I guess. I'll try someone else's coil and see how they do. I'll be sure to keep any and all info that comes with it, that's for sure!

Cuda, I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am trying to help you, they will except a copy of your receipt as proof, they will also accept your coil box if you saved it or the end with the serial number. I know this because I personally talked to them in person about your problem and they are who advised me they would accept the picture of the receipt or the coil box... I dont understand why your arguing it... Call 407 699-8724 and ask them...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread