Ctx3030 pre find targets before diging

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i,ve read all the manuals and searched the mine lab faq,s. I,ve watched all the vids about Xchange 2 and how to edit waypoints and find points and geohunts. I got it,and this is good.
My question runes kinda like this. Let's say I got nothing to do in the middle of January and the ground is frozen 3 feet deep,diging is not going to happen till spring. Now I know I can set up a geo hunt and save all my finde points to a file and come back in the spring and dig them. Can I up load the geohunts to my Ctx3030 and find the find points via the detector to revisit and dig or do I need to lug the laptop around to refined the find points?
My interest is to build up and save some hits in the winter and dig them in the spring I just think
That this would be the best use of the gps and I just want to know if it works this way.or do I need to punch the cords into a seprate gps to revisit the find points. I could not find any info specifics to this.( or maybe I,m just thick)
I might add that I have not got the cxt3030 yet but this could tip me in the Ctx direction

Any help would be great in this regard.

OP
OP
fuceye

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K
so i,ve read all the manuals and searched the mine lab faq,s. I,ve watched all the vids about Xchange 2 and how to edit waypoints and find points and geohunts. I got it,and this is good.
My question runes kinda like this. Let's say I got nothing to do in the middle of January and the ground is frozen 3 feet deep,diging is not going to happen till spring. Now I know I can set up a geo hunt and save all my finde points to a file and come back in the spring and dig them. Can I up load the geohunts to my Ctx3030 and find the find points via the detector to revisit and dig or do I need to lug the laptop around to refined the find points?
My interest is to build up and save some hits in the winter and dig them in the spring I just think
That this would be the best use of the gps and I just want to know if it works this way.or do I need to punch the cords into a seprate gps to revisit the find points. I could not find any info specifics to this.( or maybe I,m just thick)
I might add that I have not got the cxt3030 yet but this could tip me in the Ctx direction

Any help would be great in this regard.

Ops...ok I found it...and yes it works that way....

I will be do some swinging this winter....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I just purchased the 3030.

I also got Andy's book with it.

I've hunted a few times with it, and discovered I'm doing some things wrong. Not just for the 3030, but in general.

My GTI coil is.... well, I've been hunting that wrong. I've been missing things with it.

But the 3030, is amazing me so far.

You have to have it in your hands and touching it.

You can only run it virtually for so long, and then you finally have to touch it. Hunt with it, make some mistakes, call yourself stupid, and then learn.

Even if I don't find a zillion dollars with the 3030, I've become better at this hobby for it.

I'm finding more by learning it.

I'm becoming better for it.

A lot of detectorist 's go beep, dig, beep dig.

It's really more than that. Do you want to live with the $50 Radio Shack detector or cross that magic line?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you found the answer, as yes it will take you back to the spot you marked with the GPS. The screen resolution is adjustable between 100'x100', 20'x20', and 10'x10' if I'm remembering correctly (not by my 3030 right at the moment). I've used it several times to make a good find.... like one half of a Civil War buckle and then later revisited the spot via the find point created in the 3030's GPS as I tried to find the other half.

Sounds like you have figured out one way to use your machine for the winter, I hope you get the chance to try one soon. :)

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea fuceye! Wish I'd thought of that one last winter when our ground was frozen for four months.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just purchased the 3030.

I also got Andy's book with it.

I've hunted a few times with it, and discovered I'm doing some things wrong. Not just for the 3030, but in general.

My GTI coil is.... well, I've been hunting that wrong. I've been missing things with it.

But the 3030, is amazing me so far.

You have to have it in your hands and touching it.

You can only run it virtually for so long, and then you finally have to touch it. Hunt with it, make some mistakes, call yourself stupid, and then learn.

Even if I don't find a zillion dollars with the 3030, I've become better at this hobby for it.

I'm finding more by learning it.

I'm becoming better for it.

A lot of detectorist 's go beep, dig, beep dig.

It's really more than that. Do you want to live with the $50 Radio Shack detector or cross that magic line?

Best thing I've read on the web this month. I wish I could make some of the whiners read it, and better yet, Understand what you are saying. But whiners rarely want to do anything other than tell everyone how unfair it is and why each and everyone/everything sux.

fuceye, you are dead on with the strength of the gps feature. When my CTX was new, i was hunting it in pretty dry dirt and got a deep signal that I knew was good but my wrist wasn't up to digging 6-8" in the concrete like clay to so I marked it on my CTX and came back in a couple of weeks and dug up the silver rosey. Living in the South, I never thought about using it like that in frozen ground.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Problem is you'll get over a target like a silver quarter and absolutely can't leave without it so you dig for half an hour to get 4 inches into the soil, break your digging tool and end up sctratching the coin!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will get you in the general area but won't put you on the find.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I just bought the Sabisch book for a good read over the winter.

I like the idea of marking targets, since I could detect at times when I do not want to get dirty, (Lunchtime at work?) and just save the locations.

The problem is that I do not have the CTX yet.

I have 3 detectors that I need to sell and a piggy bank that needs filling first...

Great book, btw, way more material than I expected!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will get you in the general area but won't put you on the find.

This is correct. The consumer grade GPS receiver will get you within about 5 feet of the spot but don't expect it to be directly under your feet when you go back.

OP
OP
fuceye

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is correct. The consumer grade GPS receiver will get you within about 5 feet of the spot but don't expect it to be directly under your feet when you go back.
Well I started out to do a couple geohunts and test runs. Coupled with a camera and the Ctx 3030 I established a geohunts,with waypoints and I saved 6 find points. I went home and edited the info of the find points,adding notes and pics of each find point. Then after work I had a couple hours of light to head back to the start point of the geohunt previously made....

It is true that the Ctx won,t put the hit under your feet but it will get you close. Coupled with the pictures I took of the find points I had dug all 6 find points. I got 2 pull tabs 3 penny's and a 1951 king George silver quarter.....

This method of pre finding hits is not as precise as I thought but with some practice and some effort I think it is just up my alie for the winter dread of 3 feet of frosted frozen undigable earth. I will be swinging this winter and keeping my geohunt files very close to my chest till the month of May....

One note of interest....the litho batteries do not work well in the sub zero temps, so I will be useing the other type of batteries instead....

I got a little time to figure out the led screen....I need to keep it warm enough to prevent it from freezing.....I,m think of a hood with a plastic window and some pockets in the back for those hand warmers....

I all ready know how to keep me warm... I,m thinking whisky:occasion14:

OP
OP
fuceye

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cold are the temps you are hunting in?

It depends on the amount of whisky....most likely anywhere from 3c to - 20c...it does get as cold as -35c but I can read the fourms on those days....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread