First time out with the ETRAC

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my new ETRAC out last Saturday to a park I have pounded with my White's Detectors. I did surprisingly well despite my obvious handicap of having never run a Minelab machine before. I ran the stock coins program and bumped up the (auto) sensitivity to +3 - I also changed the pinpoint to sizing. I did manage to get lots of coins and a 1964 Washington Quarter, so I felt pretty good about my first run. I've got to say I kept comparing the ETRAC to the V3i and I know I've got a long, long way to go to learn this machine - but the jury is still out as far as I am concerned.

Some observations . . .

1. I hunted on an overcast day and the glare off the ETRAC screen was significant.
2. I initially thought the weight/balance was OK - until I put the stock coil on it. The ETRAC is not well balanced when fully assembled.
3. The target depth gauge is kind of small.
4. The headphones had a very loose fit and have no volume control.

Hopefully I'll get a better feeling after a couple of hundred hours with it, but I'm sure I could have picked up every target (plus) with my V3i.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only gets better but I prefer the regular pinpoint mode. It's nice when it auto "ratchets" down to the sweet spot dead over targets.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the Etrac and the V3i also Johnnoh and have a lot of hours on both. I feel the Etrac gets a little more depth but I think it's because the ground balancing is far superior. The spectrograph on the V3i is awesome though at IDing the composition of metal the target is made of. You get so good at what the VDI and dominant frequency it's hitting at and can guess the metal almost every time. But the Etrac is so smooth and stable. I like them both very much but it's hard to pick a winner. I would love to give the Deus a spin too.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got mine last Winter, so I had months of watching videos and studying Andy Sabisch's book, going through the menu over and over could not wait for Spring, I was so ready!.....................after a month,in the field, I was wishing I had my AT Pro back, and if I would have still had it I would not had taken the time it did to like this Etrac, a lot, over 300 hours, and very happy. I use TDK wire less head phones, and the screen is tough, but............

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some observations . . .

1. I hunted on an overcast day and the glare off the ETRAC screen was significant.
2. I initially thought the weight/balance was OK - until I put the stock coil on it. The ETRAC is not well balanced when fully assembled.
3. The target depth gauge is kind of small.
4. The headphones had a very loose fit and have no volume control.

Hopefully I'll get a better feeling after a couple of hundred hours with it, but I'm sure I could have picked up every target (plus) with my V3i.

The screen glare has always been a problem. Some companies make sun-shields which can help, most of us just learned to deal with it.
The E-Trac is a horribly balanced machine. Keep you rod as short as possible while swinging and use the arm strap. In the end, you may have to get a bungie system for the weight.
The stock headphones are crap. Get yourself a set of Killer-Bs or Sunray Golds.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The screen glare has always been a problem. Some companies make sun-shields which can help, most of us just learned to deal with it.
The E-Trac is a horribly balanced machine. Keep you rod as short as possible while swinging and use the arm strap. In the end, you may have to get a bungie system for the weight.
The stock headphones are crap. Get yourself a set of Killer-Bs or Sunray Golds.

I use a Detector-Pro bungie system, Simple, inexpensive,non restrictive and makes all the difference in the world, in helping with the weight/balance

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using a Doc's swingy-thingy before I switched to the CTX

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been saying for years how nice using a bungee is....

You just got the ETrac, give it time, there is a reason the ETrac is so popular with Minelab owners...

On the 3030 if glare is a problem using the large target screen with the tones really helps....

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Sounds like you had a good first outing. I love my etrac but the whites machines are good too. What I miss most is the trigger pinpoint on my dfx. I wish the etrac had that. I don't own a CTX and haven't watched many videos but it appears the CTX has the trigger?? Other than that I love the etrac and probably won't buy anything else for awhile.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
I decided to upgrade to an new machine last month(10 years with DFX only) and got the deus w 11 inch coil. I Never liked minelab despite all the new finds that were being posted when the explorer came out. I guess I read to many negative whites reviews about the weight of the machine and its notoriously long learning curve. About three weeks ago I purchased a used etrac off craigslist so i could hunt wet sand beaches in prep for this years el nino and love it. in fact the day i got it i went strait to the beach and turned it on and started hunting. I know it will take time to get the most out of it but easier to use than the dfx IMO. as your not adjusting 15 settings before you hunt. the DEUS has an awesome menu for quick setup but I have a feeling its going to take time to hear the keeper with it and i'm digging more trash with the deus. Im new to both but when i got out it's hard not to take the etrac

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the Etrac have that GPS function like the CTX?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the E-Trac for a couple months now and i must say its a machine that far exceeds the capabilities of what i had. The one thing that bothers me is the balance. For those who have upgraded to the CTX...Has the balance issue of the E-trac been addressed in the CTX?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the E-Trac for a couple months now and i must say its a machine that far exceeds the capabilities of what i had. The one thing that bothers me is the balance. For those who have upgraded to the CTX...Has the balance issue of the E-trac been addressed in the CTX?

Absolutely! Without using a bungie, I could only use the E-Trac and stock coil for a couple hours before my arm and shoulder were done. I can hunt all day with the 3030 and stock coil and it doesn't bother me. The balance is MUCH better!

things you can do to help with the E-Trac... 1
1-shorten the rod as much as possible and let your arm hang naturally.
2- get a small coil, like a Sunray X-8. It's a small change but it makes a HUGE difference.
3- Get a bungie system to take up most of the wieght.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input Jason. I guess my goal (within the next 12 months) will be to get into a CTX.

OP
OP
Johnnoh

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a good first outing. I love my etrac but the whites machines are good too. What I miss most is the trigger pinpoint on my dfx. I wish the etrac had that. I don't own a CTX and haven't watched many videos but it appears the CTX has the trigger?? Other than that I love the etrac and probably won't buy anything else for awhile.

Yeah, I miss the trigger too. Most don't have one though. I also miss the analytics once you pull the trigger on the V3i.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread