NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two battery packs are different. The shoulder on the new one is lower which probably means the channel on the new cover is not as deep either. The two nibs on the side of the battery pack I think where put there to make sure that the battery sits square in the channel. I don't have one in front of me, I am only going off your pictures. So I would be careful if you intend to use the new battery in your older machine if your near the water. Some day I will be getting a new one for my wife!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just had an email from Minelab:

I have to send back my CTX3030 to the service center if i want the armrest upgrade..... Pointman, do you think there is a gain to change it?

NB : all those kit are up to now NOT AVAILABLE, we still have to wait a bit.

From what I can tell, I don't think there probably is a greater advantage, but i haven't used the new one. I think the old style cuff would work better if there was something like a rubber strip to keep it from sliding, but I am not sure if there is enough room. I think the change up in the cuff is mainly to allow a person to quickly adjust the length, but in my experience once you have the cuff in place, there is no need to move it unless someone else is going to use the detector. I wouldn't pay the extra to have the new cuff installed unless the old style was broke.

At one point I used to use a Jeff Herke arm cuff for my CTX and overall I liked it better, but it didn't fit as snug on the arms as the old stock one, it was just more secure and didn't move on the machine. I ended up over-tightening the nut and I stripped out the threads. I spoke to Jeff Herke and he said the newer ones have a better thread that doesn't strip out. I had to fix it, by re threading the hole and putting a different size metric screw in it.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two battery packs are different. The shoulder on the new one is lower which probably means the channel on the new cover is not as deep either. The two nibs on the side of the battery pack I think where put there to make sure that the battery sits square in the channel. I don't have one in front of me, I am only going off your pictures. So I would be careful if you intend to use the new battery in your older machine if your near the water. Some day I will be getting a new one for my wife!

The nibs actually keep the battery from coming off, It clicks into place at the latches. The latches for both style look exactly the same and the new battery clicked into the old latches on the old style machine.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as the sliding armrest, I got so tired of it sliding that I located it where I like it best and drilled a small hole thru the protrusion of the rail it slides on and installed a small screw to keep it from sliding forward. Works fine (and isn't near anything that can cause water leakage in case anyone is thinking that).

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some news concerning the upgrade of the armrest : in Europe should be around 120€ which is $130/$135. It is not cheap but there is a replacement of the complete upper shaft chassis.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some news concerning the upgrade of the armrest : in Europe should be around 120€ which is $130/$135. It is not cheap but there is a replacement of the complete upper shaft chassis.
It has to be done by Minelab repair centers, no customer change outs...

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more mention of the Battery upgrade? wouldn't mind trying to see if the new seal works on the old battery.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more mention of the Battery upgrade? wouldn't mind trying to see if the new seal works on the old battery.
New seal works on old battery...[emoji106]

coops1

Greenie
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked with Minelab and when it's available the sand seal update is $129 for the seal, new battery and cover.

Please do not pay. This is minelabs fault this is not an upgrade it is clearly a product fault fix.They sell waterproof detectors that cannot go in the sea.I have followed minlabs advise to the T and yesterday my second leak first was the usb and now the battery seal only small leak with minimum damage but still a leak. I always used my detector in near perfect conditions but yesterday was a bit choppy not rough as i have a bad back.The pressure of the waves has made my ctx leak.Took the battery cover off and the oring was clean and perfectly aligned and flat side down ? lucky for me i made a full video cleaning then using the ctx and now have proof that this is NOT a user error as minelab like to put it .I am OK as my ctx is less than a year old and 2yrs warranty left but I believe anyone who owns a ctx should contact minelab for a replacement FREE of charge .
The way minelab is treating this issue is quite frankly disgusting.
(USER ERROR MY BUTT)

zesty

Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do not pay. This is minelabs fault this is not an upgrade it is clearly a product fault fix.They sell waterproof detectors that cannot go in the sea.I have followed minlabs advise to the T and yesterday my second leak first was the usb and now the battery seal only small leak with minimum damage but still a leak. I always used my detector in near perfect conditions but yesterday was a bit choppy not rough as i have a bad back.The pressure of the waves has made my ctx leak.Took the battery cover off and the oring was clean and perfectly aligned and flat side down ? lucky for me i made a full video cleaning then using the ctx and now have proof that this is NOT a user error as minelab like to put it .I am OK as my ctx is less than a year old and 2yrs warranty left but I believe anyone who owns a ctx should contact minelab for a replacement FREE of charge .
The way minelab is treating this issue is quite frankly disgusting.
(USER ERROR MY BUTT)

I couldn't agree more , this machine came out in 2012 and only now they are coming out with a fix .
I emailed mine lab today about an android or apple app that we could use with the Ctx,and free us from using a pc . They said " not going to happen" . I get the feeling mine lab is staffed with several grumpy old men that blame everyone but themselves .

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe Minelab just don't want to recall all the CTX they've sold. Only a small part is actually used in the water! If you send back your CTX each time you have a leak, maybe they will put the upgrade version...

In any case, do keep in mind that $.99 o'ring will always do a better job. I scuba dive on regular basis with my machine and experience no leak....

The armrest update could be of an interest.... don't really understand the battery side...

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco was selling the new upgraded o-rings in a kit of 3 with 2 screw on caps, they were sold out on last check, don't know if they have restocked.

coops1

Greenie
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Minelab just don't want to recall all the CTX they've sold. Only a small part is actually used in the water! If you send back your CTX each time you have a leak, maybe they will put the upgrade version...

In any case, do keep in mind that $.99 o'ring will always do a better job. I scuba dive on regular basis with my machine and experience no leak....

The armrest update could be of an interest.... don't really understand the battery side...
\

Hi Sir frogmaster I salute you on your fine work regarding the ctx and i intended on using the oring you suggest when my warranty nears the end. I have to say i wanted to give minelab the benefit of doubt due to the fact i don't even put my ctx more than 1ft underwater ?.
(Maybe Minelab just don't want to recall all the CTX they've sold.) I agree they don't want to but should be made to they have made a faulty product and it should be repaired FREE no matter what .They are quite happy to charge over 2.5k for a waterproof detector that well quite frankly isn't waterproof ? I will be OK as mine will be fixed but i feel for the poor sucker who might purchase a secondhand unit that hasn't been upgraded and try to take it for a dip we all know how that will end. (unless they take your advice and purchase a 79 x 2,5 oring like i have just done :laughing7:

coops1

Greenie
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco was selling the new upgraded o-rings in a kit of 3 with 2 screw on caps, they were sold out on last check, don't know if they have restocked.
How is it possible that the (upgrade ?) kits are being sold when minelab repair center does not have them yet. Seems a bit fishy to me ? or are minelab releasing them to the public first to test the water on how many gullible people there are out there (no pun intended)

coops1

Greenie
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't agree more , this machine came out in 2012 and only now they are coming out with a fix .
I emailed mine lab today about an android or apple app that we could use with the Ctx,and free us from using a pc . They said " not going to happen" . I get the feeling mine lab is staffed with several grumpy old men that blame everyone but themselves .

minelabs motto
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is it possible that the (upgrade ?) kits are being sold when minelab repair center does not have them yet. Seems a bit fishy to me ? or are minelab releasing them to the public first to test the water on how many gullible people there are out there (no pun intended)

Only the new o-rings are being sold, not the arm upgrade nor the new batteries that come with new o-ring, NOTHING fishy at all......

The vast majority of people are using PC not MAC, close to 90% of computer users are PC users, that is why it is compatible on PC only.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The vast majority of people are using PC not MAC, close to 90% of computer users are PC users, that is why it is compatible on PC only.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

That's why the vast majority of people are strange and incomprehensible for 10% of the population :laughing7:

apple_vs_microsoft.png

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions