New Upgrade To CTX3030

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]Product Notices for 2016[/h][h=3]06 Jan 2016[/h][h=2]CTX 3030 Mechanical Design Improvements[/h]Since the CTX 3030 was launched in 2012, Minelab has continued to refine the mechanical platform throughout the development of the GPZ 7000 gold detector, launched in 2015. While many of these ongoing design changes were specific to the GPZ 7000 only, two of the improvements are universal across both products and will now be available on all new CTX 3030 detectors from January 2016 onwards. These improvements are:
New Battery Sand Seal
The battery now has a sand seal fitted that minimises the ingress of sand that could potentially comprise the internal ‘o’-ring waterproofing rubber seal.
CTX%203030%20sand%20seal.jpg

New Armrest Lock
The ‘turn’ mechanism that could become loose after repeated use has been replaced with a ‘push’ mechanism for increased reliability and ease of adjusting.
CTX%203030%20armrest%20lock.png

New CTX 3030 detectors with these functional improvements will be identifiable through the addition of a NEW MECHANICAL DESIGN IMPROVED WATERPROOFING sticker on the front of the product carton.
CTX%203030%20mechanical%20sticker.png

Current owners wishing to upgrade their existing detector should contact their local Minelab office for upgrade options and pricing.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-...article=269893

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Arm cuff change is not backward compatible with the old machines as the "rib" that the arm cuff slides over on the old machines does not have the notches for the new one to lock into.

Jeff

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get the new cuff with the railing with ridges for the push lock you have to change out the upper handle that holds the rear bulkhead and arm cuff....Not worth it to me...

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
TH, does the battery sand seal require a new battery?......IF so, does the bigger battery for the GPZ 7000 have the sand seal?.....much rather update to the larger battery if I have to purchase one...

Cliff

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]Product Notices for 2016[/h][h=3]06 Jan 2016[/h][h=2]CTX 3030 Mechanical Design Improvements[/h]Since the CTX 3030 was launched in 2012, Minelab has continued to refine the mechanical platform throughout the development of the GPZ 7000 gold detector, launched in 2015. While many of these ongoing design changes were specific to the GPZ 7000 only, two of the improvements are universal across both products and will now be available on all new CTX 3030 detectors from January 2016 onwards. These improvements are:
New Battery Sand Seal
The battery now has a sand seal fitted that minimises the ingress of sand that could potentially comprise the internal ‘o’-ring waterproofing rubber seal.
[/URL]

Just one question. That seal is attached to the battery? If it is and the rubber goes bad, are you suppose to buy another battery to get a new seal? Not quite sure what I am seeing.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, does the battery sand seal require a new battery?......IF so, does the bigger battery for the GPZ 7000 have the sand seal?.....much rather update to the larger battery if I have to purchase one...

Cliff

My understanding is it is a kit, kit containing a new rear battery housing, battery and seal. I don't think it is a larger battery but I can't say for sure since I haven't seen it and repair center says they haven't gotten them in stock yet.

Just one question. That seal is attached to the battery? If it is and the rubber goes bad, are you suppose to buy another battery to get a new seal? Not quite sure what I am seeing.

I haven't seen it but I highly doubt it is permanently attached to battery ....

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally!!!

I should receive the upgrade kit shortly from Minelab... will test it and push a scuba detection video on youtube:thumbsup:

Pete from Anderson has sent me also their latest proto of the CTX 3030 downshaft... will certainly be part of the video

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked with Minelab and when it's available the sand seal update is $129 for the seal, new battery and cover.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked with Minelab and when it's available the sand seal update is $129 for the seal, new battery and cover.

I didn't knew the price Rusty.... does this price includes the armrest v2?

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No that is the price of just the battery and new seal kit. You also have to buy a new end panel that the battery is seated in.

The arm cuff requires changing out the handle to the new handle with the stair step rail. Minelab hasn't released the price on it yet per techs...

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TH!

Pffffffffff sounds complicated :icon_scratch:

Didn't knew their upgrade was so "huge". I should receive the kit in a few days...

Are you telling me they have to change the complete upper shaft system that includes the handle as well?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

No frogmaster! I was quoted $129.00 for the seal and battery upgrade complete but no mention of end panel or anything else to buy for the upgrade. So I'll check with Minelab.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
TH is correct in that you will need to replace the end panel.
I spoke with Minelab and Marty said he would check on the price of the end panel as it is separate from the kit. When he got back on the phone he said he spoke with two different people and one said it was included in the kit and the other individual said it wasn't. So he said he will call me back when he finds out if the end panel is included in the kit and whether or not there is separate charge for the end panel.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
For waterproofing upgrade.... $2 oring is doing the job, isn't it? :dontknow:

To be honest, not sure I will scuba dive with it.... wait & see.

Armrest upgrade IS much more interesting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind there are no upgrade kits in stock for techs to see so it is still speculation to exactly what is in upgrade kits and what exactly is involved and what isn't... Until kits are in stock and the repair techs see the kits there is no way for them to know for sure..

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received a new CTX a few days ago and I can provide a few pictures to show the difference:

Here is a picture of the new upper shaft and the back side of the new arm cuff. Being honest, it seems like there is more to go wrong with the push button feature, but I know the old style left a lot to be desired. I've had problems with the old style not locking and then coming loose while I detected. It almost seems that simpler is better in this area such as having a toggle that can be tightened and then hinged down, perhaps similar to a mountain bike wheel nut.

Other then the notches on the new upper shaft, everything looks the same, at least by eye.

20160121_220327.jpg ....................... 20160121_220920.jpg

Concerning the battery, there isn't a extra seal or anything. It appears that there is a raised lip at the base where it fits in the groove over the "O" ring. It also appears that there is more of a lip to keep sand from infiltrating the O-ring cavity. I put the new battery on my old CTX and it fits and powers up just fine. It also appears that the old battery fits and charges on the new base. There is also small notches (shoulders I should say) on each side of the battery where it clicks in on each side of the hinge. The old style battery just sat in the groove and if you didn't secure the battery latches with a rubber band, it could easily fall out if it came unlatched. This never happened to me without a rubber band, but it could. The shoulders caused the battery to "lock in" with a little resistance whether you placed it on or took it out. I heard a definitive clicking sound. It appears that the new battery just mostly has a deeper lip to fit in the groove with more of a molded ring around the circumference to limit the sand from entering the battery compartment as well as a thicker O-ring. Essentially, it appears that it seals tighter in the groove.

The new battery is to the left and the old one on the right. Note the little "shoulders" on the new battery, where the hinge locks.

20160121_220501.jpg

Lastly the new O-ring is a little bigger in diameter than the old style. I was going to measure, but I temporarily misplaced my dial caliper. Here is another pic:

20160121_222041.jpg

New O-ring at the top and old style at the bottom of the picture.

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Pointman = a BIG "thank you" for those precious informations and photos :thumbsup:

I have to test the new battery pack with my MOD o'ring... but not sure I'll have any improvement.

Personnally armrest don't really causes my any troubles, probably due to my morphology and way of to detect.

The real and unique waterproffing issue with CTX 3030 is the USB Cap. I have almost condamed this plug to be 100% confident underwater, but again (I know, I know TH :hello:) the way I use CTX is NOT "Minelab Corporate" :laughing7:

Again thanks Pointman,

FM

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just had an email from Minelab:

I have to send back my CTX3030 to the service center if i want the armrest upgrade..... Pointman, do you think there is a gain to change it?

NB : all those kit are up to now NOT AVAILABLE, we still have to wait a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions