Minelab Sovereign Question....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am Considering a Minelab Sovereign GT as my next detector.....It will be used at the beach a few weeks a year and i know it will perform great there. My question is, when i am at home hunting some of my mineralized fields for civil war relics, how will this machine perform then? Is it a better relic machine than the Explorer SE? I have owned an Explorer and found some good stuff with it......Can the Sovereign GT find deep bullets in Va soil????

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so Digger. Or at least when I mentioned carrying mine as a backup several people told me. You cannot run in disc mode at all because even at the lowest disc setting on the Sovereign it still blanks out iron and it sees the whole ground as iron. As far as beach detecting the Sovereign is about my all time favorite machine as long as it's a straight shaft version. The balance is perfect compared to the S shaft.

Do you have a Pi with ground balance like a TDI, Infinium or GPX? Those are by far better than any VLF in those soils from my experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Fletch, that is what I was wondering. Etrac was like that here also. Trying to find a cheaper alternative to buying an ATX, but I guess the ATX is really obvious choice here.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TDI Pro or SL are 2 other options. I used one last May at a DIV and did pretty well on bullets and a brass reign holder.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sovereigns are designed to disc out iron EXCEPT the originals which have an iron switch. That being said, you could turn up the threshold and when it goes quiet, there is your iron. But no way to tell how deep.

Otherwise since its multi freq, soil conditions won't bother it much.

Might I suggest picking up a gently used original Sov, XS, XS Pro, or Elite for a lot less?

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac and Explorer's are mjulti freq. also, but they dont do well in the hot ground we have in spots here in Va. Just wondering if the Sov. was different.....I have heard that it done better since its highest freq. wasnt as high as that of the Explorer's and Etrac....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it will knock out Iron, But will be good for Lead & brass Etc.
If you can add a W.O.T. Coil I think it would work Fine

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you tried anything on a Sovereign in that soil it would be a smaller not larger coil like the 5x10 from Coiltek or the S-8 from Sunray. The larger the coil the worse off you would be in that highly conductive soil.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's right Fletch, on my G2, the 5x10 gets better depth than the stock 8x11....

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch is right... In that special hot stuff in VA you will see that the Sovereign isn't much better than the Etrac.

Before you you jump on an ATX, consider a GPX 4500. They are a LOT cheaper now than they used to be.... :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch is right... In that special hot stuff in VA you will see that the Sovereign isn't much better than the Etrac.

Before you you jump on an ATX, consider a GPX 4500. They are a LOT cheaper now than they used to be.... :thumbsup:

Fort Bedford is correct, GPX4500 is a great deal right now. If I lived close to the Goldfields I would own one... It would become my backup after it found enough gold to pay cash for the GTZ7000.😁

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine will also be my beach machine since I sold my Sand Shark so I need the waterproofing that the minelab lacks. I know the Sovereign is not waterproof, but it is a lot cheaper than a GPX if I would ruin it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread