Anyone use the 15 inch Nel Attack Coil on the blue excal?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that combo and use it here on the west coast. Works great! I think it's better than the WOT. I run my Excal wide open in pin point, then switch to Disc to check to see if it's iron. I haven't had any stability problems.......none. I've run it in Auto and just off Auto and see no noticeable different in depth or stability.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Used it here in Florida. A bit more resistance in the surf due to the increased size. Much more stable than the WOT I tried. Pretty stable nearly wide open with waves rushing over the coil. Very stable in deeper water.

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Used it here in Florida. A bit more resistance in the surf due to the increased size. Much more stable than the WOT I tried. Pretty stable nearly wide open with waves rushing over the coil. Very stable in deeper water.

So is it safe to say if mine is constantly falsing with tin foil sounds over wet sand without touching the ground with sensitivity at 3 oclock (almost off!) and the threshold nulls constantly in the water then it may be either wired wrong or defective?

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
I'd have to say there is an issue with it. Have you tried it in a different location? Maybe strong EMI in the area?

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I'd have to say there is an issue with it. Have you tried it in a different location? Maybe strong EMI in the area?

Yeah tried it at three different beaches in a 90 mile stretch.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I'd say you have a problem there. It may be Kellyco time! They should be able to diagnose the situation.

"Carolina"

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2014
Va. Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Excalibur ll
CTX 3030
VALLON VMH3CS
Whites dual field
Primary Interest:
The easy way to check your wiring is as follows. You have two transmit wires and two receiver wires. With a ohm meter the transmit wires have the lower resistance. The receiver has the higher. Connect transmit to transmit and receiver to receiver on the board. To check if wiring is correct do the following. Turn detector on and in all metal/ pin point you should have a threshold tone. If you have no tone the receiver wires are reversed. With the detector on and in all metal/pinpoint pass an iron object pass the coil, if it nulls the transmit wires are reversed. I have seen two different NEL ATTACK coils. One white with a black cable and a black coil with blue cable. The white coil was listed as water resistant and the black with blue cable labeled water proof. Not sure if there is a difference. If you look very closely to the wires you will find them numbered 1 thru 4. At a glance they appear to be all black but they are faintly numbered.
If the coil responds to the test as listed above it is not a wiring issue. EMI and RFI a loose coil cable, a dirty coil cover ( remove cover and clean ) and water in the coil will give the symptoms you describe. You did not say if the coil is hard wired or you are using some type of water proof connector as the latter could be the issue also. Hope this lengthy response helps before you send the machine off. Another note is people be leave that the sensitivity knob controls the depth of the Excal and this is not always the case. The trick is to make your machine run smooth even if you are running at three o'clock. The depth will still be there. Bury a target and test. Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be bad coil, bad wiring, or cold solder joint on motherboard....... Send it in and let the repair center at Kellyco look at it....

On sensitivity too hot will cause you to lose dept just like turning it way down causes you to lose depth..... You tune the excal by adjusting threshold and sensitivity to get the perfect balance. If hunting in all metal tun threshold down till you can't turn it any lower without losing all threshold sound, this will allow you to hear the deep faint targets that threshold would mask if it is turned up....

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
The easy way to check your wiring is as follows. You have two transmit wires and two receiver wires. With a ohm meter the transmit wires have the lower resistance. The receiver has the higher. Connect transmit to transmit and receiver to receiver on the board. To check if wiring is correct do the following. Turn detector on and in all metal/ pin point you should have a threshold tone. If you have no tone the receiver wires are reversed. With the detector on and in all metal/pinpoint pass an iron object pass the coil, if it nulls the transmit wires are reversed. I have seen two different NEL ATTACK coils. One white with a black cable and a black coil with blue cable. The white coil was listed as water resistant and the black with blue cable labeled water proof. Not sure if there is a difference. If you look very closely to the wires you will find them numbered 1 thru 4. At a glance they appear to be all black but they are faintly numbered.
If the coil responds to the test as listed above it is not a wiring issue. EMI and RFI a loose coil cable, a dirty coil cover ( remove cover and clean ) and water in the coil will give the symptoms you describe. You did not say if the coil is hard wired or you are using some type of water proof connector as the latter could be the issue also. Hope this lengthy response helps before you send the machine off. Another note is people be leave that the sensitivity knob controls the depth of the Excal and this is not always the case. The trick is to make your machine run smooth even if you are running at three o'clock. The depth will still be there. Bury a target and test. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply! Do these sound right? That's nulling in pinpoint no? Also the coil is brand new and hard wired and has no coil cover on it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Wired wrong...The center is Hot and should report the target as it passes in PP, if reversed the outer will report the target and the center will go silent. I seen the same thing about 3 years ago, someone put up the wrong wiring diagram for the SEF and the Black and Grey wires were backwards. Many Excalibur's were wired wrong. So I did a video to show the issue...No Names but I informed the person/company and I was told it was a factory issue with the coil... ???

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is it safe to say if mine is constantly falsing with tin foil sounds over wet sand without touching the ground with sensitivity at 3 oclock (almost off!) and the threshold nulls constantly in the water then it may be either wired wrong or defective?
Who wired it up for you?

"Carolina"

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2014
Va. Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Excalibur ll
CTX 3030
VALLON VMH3CS
Whites dual field
Primary Interest:
As OBN said, transmit wires reversed. All four wires are black, but are numbered 1 thru 4. Just reverse the transmit wires. In the case of the blue cable ATTACK coil, the wires are paired, blue and white. The blue are the transmit pair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
As OBN said, transmit wires reversed. All four wires are black, but are numbered 1 thru 4. Just reverse the transmit wires.

I drove about 94 miles to Kellyco this morning and they fixed it while I waited! I expected to have to leave it so that was an awesome surprise. AMAZING PLACE! AMAZING PEOPLE!

Someone asked, "Who wired it." Normally I'd say but...It doesn't matter, in this case, the person who wired it is no longer doing that type of work so I don't see the need to mention it. We are all human :)

After my drive back home I changed and hit the beach and gave the coil a test in the water and out. She's still very sensitive if I let it touch the wet sand at all it falses but it's very stable in the water with some falsing as the waves pass over the coil but nothing too annoying. It's also more stable over dry sand and able to tap a bit of sand now without too much falsing. It's also a bit unstable as I initially take it out of the water but once it drips dry a few seconds it seems to settle down. I'm not sure if it's the water dripping off of it or if I'm barely tapping the wet sand without realizing it that's making it sound off, still testing that... I can let it scrape the sand if there's a thin layer of water and it's very quiet but if the layer of water gets too thin I have to raise it off the ground or risk it 'sticking' to the ground but that's normal. Once it's off the water but still over wet sand I can't let it touch a shell or the sand at all or it falses. Super sensitive.

I'm able to run it at about 12 o'clock in the water now stable and about 11 o'clock over the wet and dry sand.

Thanks again for all the advice on the wiring, so very happy that is fixed now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread