On the ground and every 30-45 minutes...GL and SH

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noise cancel simply nudges the primary freq and harmonic up or down very slightly to avoid sensed interference (from radio sources). The manual has the coil in the air to better sense radio waves ... but it likely makes little difference. It has nothing to do with ground balance or soil conditions so placing the coil on the ground has no affect on sensitivity or depth. It doesn't 'sense' minerals in the ground or adjust the detector to soil conditions in any way. But EMI can affect performance negatively and so it is a good idea to recheck for EMI every few hours, especially as shops and businesses open in the morning and radio sources become more active.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually the 12" above the ground but the CD I got with my E-Trac shows the guy doing it on the ground. I have heard it works either way. I know some guys go to a specific channel but since I have only had my E-Trac a month I still pretty much still use the standard E-trac progams other than sensitivity and threshold.

I am still amazed how little trash I dig and how few tabs I dig... I am getting pretty good recognizing the tab sound but have some trouble with picking out a nickel. I have noticed depending on the moisture in the ground around here pennies will ring as high as 44 pretty often and sometimes even a 45.

Going to try the beach next week even though the beaches here are very heavily hunted and there isn't much there. A 2 hr hunt will usually only net about $1 in clad but then again we all look for that elusive expensive ring.

At this point I can't say enough about the E-trac especially since it is so easy to use. Going to do another comparison with my E-Trac vs my Spectra V3i next week in an area I have never been and plan to hunt 1 hour with each. Right now I cannot find any advantage the V3i has over the E-Trac and the V3i can be very hard to learn because of so many options to tweak it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use mine at 11 mostly. Probably just in my mind but it seems to work smoother and go deeper than the lower numbers.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done it both ways and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Unless I get some EMI or interference from another detector, I rarely hit the noise cancel button. That's all it's really meant to do. It doesn't seem to have an effect on anything else.

OP
OP
Digger Max

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys I do appreciate all the feedback. I have been kicking around in both directions on Noise Cancel for some time now but it seems to me that on the ground works for me. I know everyone has their own thoughts on this and site location has a lot to do with it. Feedback is always good. Same goes for the setup for your machine no matter which you have. Thanks...HH

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The higher the channel number,the VERY slightly lower goes the frequency...very slightly but enough to minimize EMI in most cases. Sometimes you ain't gonna hunt under those power lines...at least with any degree of sensitivity....or sanity.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i hunt with the wife and she uses the AT pro. I do my noise cancel with her at pro on and about 7 feet away from me. If I don't the at pro goes nuts when she hunts with in 20 or so feet from me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When i hunt with the wife and she uses the AT pro. I do my noise cancel with her at pro on and about 7 feet away from me. If I don't the at pro goes nuts when she hunts with in 20 or so feet from me.

Ah! Maybe it's the ATP picking up on the anger and power of the CTX, and the ATP is being told it has no business being in the same neighborhood with the CTX :) :) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread