Excalibur II acting strange during yesterdays hunt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday, I got to take the Excalibur out to another beach, to test it out. I have to say that it did pretty good. The only times that I noticed any false signals was when I had the sensitivity set any higher than 6, and if I set it to auto it would false once in awhile, which I thought was kind of strange. It also would false if the control pod was half way submerged, but not when fully submerged. Also, if the coil happened to float to the surface, it would start to false, but I think that is pretty normal?

Here's a pic of the finds. It's not much, but I'm always surprised to find anything at this particular beach because it gets hammered on a pretty regular basis. Thanks - Bottlebum

View attachment 1335778

Time to send it in. It's a sick puppy and needs attention. If you are dropping your sensitivity that low to avoid chatter and falsing, something is wrong and you are losing depth and sensitivity. :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to send it in. It's a sick puppy and needs attention. If you are dropping your sensitivity that low to avoid chatter and falsing, something is wrong and you are losing depth and sensitivity. :skullflag:
Thanks for that, Terry. I kind of figured as much. I've had a few different Sovereigns and Excaliburs, and couldn't remember any of them acting like this one does. That is unless it had a problem, like a bad coil or something. Hard to remember when you don't use them on a regular basis. The really bad part is that it was an eBay purchase. I bought it on July 29, 2015, and used it, at the most, a half a dozen times since then. I paid good money for it, too. Needless to say, I'll be sending it in to the doc.

Thanks alot - Bottlebum

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle...
Anyway you could snap a quick pic of your rig ?
Coil to bat.

I am curious.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil wire wound "up away" from coil ?

Coil bolt and nut on coil to shaft original to unit ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disconnect coil completely and clean the shaft connector rubber grommet ?
Perhaps a buildup of black sand or some particle(s) of a foreign nature are in it.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle...
Anyway you could snap a quick pic of your rig ?
Coil to bat.

I am curious.

Coil wire wound "up away" from coil ?

Coil bolt and nut on coil to shaft original to unit ?

Disconnect coil completely and clean the shaft connector rubber grommet ?
Perhaps a buildup of black sand or some particle(s) of a foreign nature are in it.

Right now, everything is removed from the shaft. I use an Anderson shaft w-control pod mounted behind the elbow. I always run the coil wire straight up the lower shaft, and then wrap the rest around the upper shaft. Still use the original type nylon coil bolt, and I completely disassemble and clean my machines after every hunt. May sound a little extreme to some, but that's just how I am when it comes to my detectors. lol!!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if there IS an intrusion in the coil wire connection...
at the coil where the ribbed flex coupler is.

I saw / heard of this once long ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been suspecting that there was a problem with the machine. It's just that I was using it so infrequently that when I had it out, it was hard to remember how it had acted the time before. I kept writing the problems off as environmental, and would tell myself that I should just try it somewhere else to see how it acts then, if that makes any sense.

Last year, I had to send a new Sov. GT in to be checked out because I suspected that it had a bad coil. Turned out that it did indeed have a bad coil, and it was replaced. Luckily for me, it was under warranty. This Excalibur is acting a lot like the GT did.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if there IS an intrusion in the coil wire connection...
at the coil where the ribbed flex coupler is.

I saw / heard of this once long ago.
At this point, I'm not writing anything off as a possible cause. I'm going to send it in to have it checked out, and get the pinpoint mod done to it. Would also like to have the two-pin headphone connector installed, but I'm not sure if Kellyco will do that particular mod. Currently waiting on them to return my phone call.

Thanks, AARC.

Last edited:

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried to hunt the beach last night and there was a thunderstorm just north of me moving in my direction. Even when it was pretty darn far away and safe to detect, when ever lighting would flash my machine would false a signal. It was heat lightning and put on quite the show and got to a point to where I couldnt even detect from all the falsing. It was just one massive cloud that was moving so dang slow i couldn't even wait it out. I had clear sky over me and all around but that one spot. Frustrated me pretty bad cuz I missed lowtide again. Oh well. Anyways, if there's any storms around it will certainly give you a lot of chatter. Thought of this post last night while that was going on lol.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to hunt the beach last night and there was a thunderstorm just north of me moving in my direction. Even when it was pretty darn far away and safe to detect, when ever lighting would flash my machine would false a signal. It was heat lightning and put on quite the show and got to a point to where I couldnt even detect from all the falsing. It was just one massive cloud that was moving so dang slow i couldn't even wait it out. I had clear sky over me and all around but that one spot. Frustrated me pretty bad cuz I missed lowtide again. Oh well. Anyways, if there's any storms around it will certainly give you a lot of chatter. Thought of this post last night while that was going on lol.
I was hunting right next to that storm, and was wondering if it could have been the cause of the falsing that I was experiencing. Especially since the falsing wasn't near as bad as it was on my previous hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread